user825857
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi!! im predicted a nine for maths at gcse, but my school doesnt offer the further maths gcse. is it a good idea to take double maths at a level or will it be impossible??
E3student
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does your school offer A-level further maths?
Cos00088
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by user825857)
hi!! im predicted a nine for maths at gcse, but my school doesnt offer the further maths gcse. is it a good idea to take double maths at a level or will it be impossible??
Hi,
I had further maths at gcse which is basically most of AS so, that really helps cuz now I can focus more at A Level further maths.... However I do have a friend who didnt do GCSE further maths and hes doing fine t. So I guess at the end of the day it depends on your passion for maths.... if you decide to do 4 A Levels you need to prepared for the amount of pile of work cuz I'm gonna be honest itll be a lot
user342
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by user825857)
As the person above said, take further maths if you enjoy the subject and do well at it (which you seem to be doing). Your lack of further maths gcse won't disadvantage you much. I would also emphasise that a level maths and further maths are a big step up from gcse maths, and you've definitely got to enjoy it to some extent (after all about half your time will be spent doing it, and maybe more if you've got other mathsy subjects eg physics) and work hard at it. I was worried further maths would be too hard for me before starting it but I'm loving it, and the content is quite fun. Another thing you could do if you're still indecisive is have a think about what you want to do at uni, and if further maths is relevant to your course or boosts your application, so for example for physics, engineering, compsci, economics (and maths ofc) further maths looks very good, but if you don't enjoy maths that much and want to do a history degree for example, how worthwhile is slaving through 2 years of extra maths, with the possibility of it bringing down your grades in other subjects that are more necessary to your course (in this case your history grades). I chose further maths for y12 because I knew I wanted to go into a STEM, mathematical degree, and further maths would keep lots of top unis open, and be fun and helpful. So in the end I think a lot of it does come down to how much you enjoy maths, not whether your school offers the further maths gcse or not, or if you took it. Hope this helps (sorry i wrote so much), and feel free to ask any more questions on this 🙂
Last edited by user342; 1 month ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Further pure maths at GCSE just makes it easier to adjust to the normal maths A-level, you'd be fine to take A-level further maths without having done the GCSE.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Our school didn’t offer further maths gcse but I do the alevel and find it okay I guess it would just give you a bit of a head start if you were able to take it!
Last edited by laurawatt; 1 month ago
user825857
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by user342)
As the person above said, take further maths if you enjoy the subject and do well at it (which you seem to be doing). Your lack of further maths gcse won't disadvantage you much. I would also emphasise that a level maths and further maths are a big step up from gcse maths, and you've definitely got to enjoy it to some extent (after all about half your time will be spent doing it, and maybe more if you've got other mathsy subjects eg physics) and work hard at it. I was worried further maths would be too hard for me before starting it but I'm loving it, and the content is quite fun. Another thing you could do if you're still indecisive is have a think about what you want to do at uni, and if further maths is relevant to your course or boosts your application, so for example for physics, engineering, compsci, economics (and maths ofc) further maths looks very good, but if you don't enjoy maths that much and want to do a history degree for example, how worthwhile is slaving through 2 years of extra maths, with the possibility of it bringing down your grades in other subjects that are more necessary to your course (in this case your history grades). I chose further maths for y12 because I knew I wanted to go into a STEM, mathematical degree, and further maths would keep lots of top unis open, and be fun and helpful. So in the end I think a lot of it does come down to how much you enjoy maths, not whether your school offers the further maths gcse or not, or if you took it. Hope this helps (sorry i wrote so much), and feel free to ask any more questions on this 🙂
thank you so much!! i want to do economics, this is very helpful, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (109)
27.66%
England (135)
34.26%
Belgium (30)
7.61%
Germany (41)
10.41%
Spain (8)
2.03%