Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have applied for the discover bath 2021 summer course, but I didn't fall in the category of being a young carer or having a disability as such. Does this reduce my chances of being accepted?
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have applied for the discover bath 2021 summer course, but I didn't fall in the category of being a young carer or having a disability as such. Does this reduce my chances of being accepted?
Hi there,

According to our website, the requirements for Discover Bath are that you are " academically able to study at Bath in their chosen subject and meet our widening participation criteria". Basically you need to have predicted grades that meet the entry requirements for the course, along with one or more of the following:

• Student's home address is in the bottom two-fifths of areas ranked by the proportion of young people progressing to Higher Education (POLAR 4, quintiles 1 or 2). Look-up which quintile a postcode is in
  • Student's home address is in the bottom two-fifths of areas when ranked by general disadvantage (Index of Multiple Deprivation, quintiles 1 or 2). Look up one or more postcodes using the correct home country tool - England, Wales, Scotland
  • Student is a care leaver
  • Student is a young carer
  • Student is a refugee, asylum seeker or has been granted humanitarian protection
  • In addition, we may also consider a student who has a declared disability or receives Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or a Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

So long as you meet these requirements, you will be considered for the Discover Bath programme. I don't see why they would prioritise one criteria over another, but if you aren't sure if you meet the requirements for consideration then you can email [email protected]

I hope this helps,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Bath)
Hi there,

According to our website, the requirements for Discover Bath are that you are " academically able to study at Bath in their chosen subject and meet our widening participation criteria". Basically you need to have predicted grades that meet the entry requirements for the course, along with one or more of the following:

• Student's home address is in the bottom two-fifths of areas ranked by the proportion of young people progressing to Higher Education (POLAR 4, quintiles 1 or 2). Look-up which quintile a postcode is in
  • Student's home address is in the bottom two-fifths of areas when ranked by general disadvantage (Index of Multiple Deprivation, quintiles 1 or 2). Look up one or more postcodes using the correct home country tool - England, Wales, Scotland
  • Student is a care leaver
  • Student is a young carer
  • Student is a refugee, asylum seeker or has been granted humanitarian protection
  • In addition, we may also consider a student who has a declared disability or receives Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or a Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

So long as you meet these requirements, you will be considered for the Discover Bath programme. I don't see why they would prioritise one criteria over another, but if you aren't sure if you meet the requirements for consideration then you can email [email protected]

I hope this helps,
ok thank you!
University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
ok thank you!
Hi again,

No problem, happy I could help

Anonymous #1
Nevermind I got rejected anyway 😢

Hi again,

No problem, happy I could help

University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Nevermind I got rejected anyway 😢
Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear that! However, please rest assured that not having done a Discover Bath programme won't affect your chances of getting into Bath if you do apply, so there's no need to worry in that regard. I would definitely recommend going to an Open Day if possible, if you were hoping to get a feel for Bath via Discover Bath.

I hope this helps,
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear that! However, please rest assured that not having done a Discover Bath programme won't affect your chances of getting into Bath if you do apply, so there's no need to worry in that regard. I would definitely recommend going to an Open Day if possible, if you were hoping to get a feel for Bath via Discover Bath.

I hope this helps,
Hi Jessica,
I’ve received a reduced contextual offer of AAA for a popular course with A*AA requirements and have put Bath as my firm choice. However based on a range of factors I’m almost certain I’m only going to a achieve A*A*B or A*AB. Now I’m extremely worried; I love Bath so much but how likely is it that I will still get a place with these grades? Do you happen to know if there will be more leniency this year given the inconsistency in how grades are being awarded from one school to another?
Thank you for any help you can offer!
University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi Jessica,
I’ve received a reduced contextual offer of AAA for a popular course with A*AA requirements and have put Bath as my firm choice. However based on a range of factors I’m almost certain I’m only going to a achieve A*A*B or A*AB. Now I’m extremely worried; I love Bath so much but how likely is it that I will still get a place with these grades? Do you happen to know if there will be more leniency this year given the inconsistency in how grades are being awarded from one school to another?
Thank you for any help you can offer!
Hi there!

Unfortunately there is no way of knowing how likely it is that you will be accepted if you just miss your offer. It really varies year to year depending on how other students do and the number of students accepting offers. Bath has accepted people previously who have missed a grade, so it is a possibility, but at this stage it is not something that can be predicted. I am not sure if there will be more leniancy as there are still only so many places on each course on offer.

I am sorry I cannot give you more ressaurance but please don't lose hope. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Leah
Placement Chemical Engineering
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (308)
83.92%
No (59)
16.08%

Watched Threads