issy.rrrrrrrr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’m in year 12 & want to study econ at uni. I’m predicted 4 A*s in maths, physics, chem & econ. And an A in my EPQ. Can someone pls tell me some realistic unis that I’ll get into!! Can be absolutely anywhere in the UK as I will be happy wherever I go, just need some initial ideas! Thank you I’m advance
musicalrose
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
surely you know exactly what unis you could get into with those grades- literally any of them. A simple google search would do. Stop fishing for compliments lol
username4218074
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
nottingham, warwick (maybe) bristol.
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by musicalrose)
surely you know exactly what unis you could get into with those grades- literally any of them. A simple google search would do. Stop fishing for compliments lol
they couldn't get into Cambridge or LSE and probably not even UCL. Oxford maybe but they'd need to do really well on the entrance exam since economics (and management) is the most competitive course there.
username19412
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Don't listen to the above user. With 4 A*'s predicted and an A in EPQ you will have a good shot at UCL; maybe not Cambridge because they usually reject people who don't take further Maths. I'd still apply to UCL and LSE and even Oxford (but note Oxford doesn't do a pure economics program, they do Economics+ Management).
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by username19412)
Don't listen to the above user. With 4 A*'s predicted and an A in EPQ you will have a good shot at UCL; maybe not Cambridge because they usually reject people who don't take further Maths. I'd still apply to UCL and LSE and even Oxford (but note Oxford doesn't do a pure economics program, they do Economics+ Management).
unless their school didn't offer further maths then they have like no chance at LSE, that is the general house view on tsr and is literally specified by LSE themselves. Same thing applies to UCL but to a lesser degree so its worth applying there.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Any except LSE; without FM you aren't competitive for LSE single honours economics, unless you weren't able to take it because your school doesn't offer it. Most years 95% of successful applicants to LSE single honours economics have AS or A-level FM. Note that for some of the joint honours courses there lack of FM is less of an issue (usually the ones that are joint with essay based subjects, and PPE). While note having FM is less ideal for e.g. Warwick and Cambridge, there isn't such a huge gap in success rates between those with and without FM as at LSE. If you wanted to take a gap year and take FM then, you could also add LSE to the list though and apply to literally any economics course in the UK.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 months ago
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Any except LSE; without FM you aren't competitive for LSE single honours economics, unless you weren't able to take it because your school doesn't offer it. Most years 95% of successful applicants to LSE single honours economics have AS or A-level FM. Note that for some of the joint honours courses there lack of FM is less of an issue (usually the ones that are joint with essay based subjects, and PPE). While note having FM is less ideal for e.g. Warwick and Cambridge, there isn't such a huge gap in success rates between those with and without FM as at LSE. If you wanted to take a gap year and take FM then, you could also add LSE to the list though and apply to literally any economics course in the UK.
For cambridge there is a huge gap as well, in 2014 and 2015 only 8 % and then 5.7% were made offers without having done futher maths AS/A level. I would think this has decreased in the past 7 years since more schools have adopted fmaths: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
SirSaltyofSussex
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
With your grades you should be applying to top unis, but w/o further maths, your chances for getting admitted to pure economics courses at places like LSE, Cambridge, Warwick and UCL—the top schools for econ in the country—are low (though nowhere near impossible). That's why I think you should search for other interests and apply for combined economics courses, ex. Econ & Econ History at LSE, History Politics and Economics at UCL, EPAIS at Warwick, Land Economy at Cambridge, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads