hannahbrazell15
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello,
I’m looking to do psychology at uni and wondering if anyone has any advice or uni recommendations?
fleuriegrace
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I'm doing psychology at uni next year and i'd advise taking on some online courses, there are some good ones on sites like coursera and edx, these can make your application look better to unis. If you want to go into psychology properly, you need to make sure you choose an accredited course (by the BPS) otherwise your degree will be practically worthless, you can always go on their website and look at the list there.
I'd also advise figuring out what kind of psychology you're most interested in, as that can really help your personal statement and look at optional modules for your uni as they're important to your course and what you're interested in, good luck
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by hannahbrazell15)
Hello,
I’m looking to do psychology at uni and wondering if anyone has any advice or uni recommendations?
Hi!

It's great to hear you are looking at doing Psychology at university! I am a second year Psychology student, so if you have any questions about the subject or university, please feel free to ask!

Studying Psychology is 100% worth it. I have built upon previous knowledge of sixth form and also so much more information. I have also improved and developed new skills which can be applied to so many careers paths! I have been able to learn about different strands of Psychology and really found a passion for Business Psychology. Are you thinking of doing a placement year? A placement year is a 4 year degree whereby you can do a year's work experience in the field of Psychology you wish to go into to. I have recently secured a placement in the area of Business Psychology. When applying to universities I would suggest thinking about whether you want to do a placement year or not. I think it's a good way to gain experience!

Moving onto the course, when you choose universities please look into the modules! This way you can see what modules you prefer in each university. Most universities will have core modules such as Social Psychology, Biological Psychology due to them being the core learning platforms that is BPS accredited. Most university courses are BPS accredited however, some aren't so be careful when coursing a university, make sure they're BPS accredited otherwise if you wanted to go on and be a psychologist you will have to go on and study a conversion course that is accredited by the BPS. I hope this makes sense!

If you are interested in Psychology and would like to consider Surrey then please see this link to see the four different courses we offer here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/psychology.

If you also look at these two links you will be able to delve deeper into the psychology department and look at the facilities and equipment that will be available to you:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psychology

https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psyc...-and-equipment

Becca
University of York
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello,
Hi hannahbrazell15

I thought I'd jump in to see if I can help! One piece of advice would be to do some online courses. We have a free course called 'An Introduction to Cognitive Psychology', which will hopefully be really interesting for you, and will also look good on your personal statement.

I would recommend checking out our Psychology page. Here you can find out more about our courses and sign up for our online open day. We have some really good courses, and we're in the UK top 10 for Psychology, so I think you would have a great time at York. It's an added bonus that it's such a great place to live!

It's also really useful to look at student blogs, as this will give you an insight into what it's like to study Psychology at university from current students.

I didn't study Psychology, but I'm a recent York grad, so if you have any questions about the university, student life, campus etc I'm happy to help!

Hazel
Graduate Ambassador
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello,
@hannahbrazell15

Hello! In terms of Psychology degree's they rarely differ from institution to institution in the UK, they typically have a pretty rigid scheme of work due to being BPS approved.

When choosing a University it is best choosing it based on your specific learner needs and also the social situation you want to find yourself in on arrival.

Have you considering doing the course with Arden University? They currently have three center's for on campus learning in Manchester, Birmingham, and London with a blended learning option. You can do the course 100% online too if you wish. here is a link to the course - https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/unde...psychology-bps

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
15.03%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (98)
32.03%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.42%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.5%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (78)
25.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.98%

Watched Threads