The Student Room Group
Original post by brohe7
Say I nearly meet the conditions for a conditional offer, could I call the school and ask if they'd still accept me? It seems that barely anyone is doing my major, but since I applied so early they had expected more ppl to apply, so gave me a conditional offer supposing this. . . I also didn't meet the test requirements. Will I be automatically sent to apply for clearing or could I appeal?

Judging by the use of the term "major", I'm going to guess you're from the US, so I'll explain a bit about UCAS and the UK system.

As you know, there are 2 types of offers: Conditional and Unconditional. You can expect most offers to be conditional, however some universities will give unconditional offers for a variety of reasons (outstanding application, low entry requirements anyway, they simply really want you to go there). Universities will set their conditions related to the calibre of student they wish to accept (e.g. Cambridge only wants the best, so their requirements will usually be at least A*AA, whereas another university who don't care about having the best, but still want strong students as their course is quite difficult may require ABB or similar), and the relative difficulty of their course.

When you get replies from all of your universities, you will pick a "firm" choice, and an "insurance" choice, and decline the rest. If you meet the offer for your firm choice, you are automatically accepted there. If you don't meet your firm offer, and your firm university don't accept you, you will get a place at your insurance provided you meet their conditions. If your firm choice has accepted you, your application status will change to "unconditional firm" on UCAS Track when this decision has been made, meaning you have a place there. If you don't meet the conditions for either offer, or decline your place, you will enter clearing, where you can contact universities to see if they have a place for you.

If you miss your firm offer, the university may still accept you. This will be decided based on how many people they have accepted, how many have accepted them, and how many have met their offer. There is no guarantee that the university will be flexible with your offer, but it is possible in some cases. In this case, you don't have to contact the university, they'll just accept you through UCAS automatically.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Omg thank you for taking the time to write this response! Its a relief in the face of upcoming exams:smile: One never knows how tricky tdem exams r.
Reply 4
Original post by brohe7
Omg thank you for taking the time to write this response! Its a relief in the face of upcoming exams:smile: One never knows how tricky tdem exams r.

Hi I am currently sitting at a vibrios of May 5 maths B and think I got a C. Did u meet ur requirements or fail to meet them and still get accepted into the uni?
Original post by Abi.jjj
Hi I am currently sitting at a vibrios of May 5 maths B and think I got a C. Did u meet ur requirements or fail to meet them and still get accepted into the uni?

What happened 2 years ago for a different course is not likely to be a guide for you. But yes, you might still get accepted.

Latest

Trending

Trending