Can't afford to move out for Uni

Watch
nom06
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to move away for University but my mum flat-out refuses to let me. She says it's due to money etc but of course the real issue is that she doesn't want me leaving. I have basically made up my mind that I'm definitely leaving, because it shouldn't be up to her and I know I will regret it forever if I don't.

The issue is, the student loan most likely won't cover enough. I'm trying to get a job but at the moment it's very difficult due to all the lockdowns and there are more people looking for jobs than there are people hiring. I will be going to uni in 2022.

I'm not sure what to do? If I don't get a job in time to save enough money I'll be completely screwed.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you can't save up enough to move out, would you not go to university at all?

From the sounds of things, all you can really do is keep looking for work and hope whatever you do find is early/high paying enough.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nom06)
I want to move away for University but my mum flat-out refuses to let me. She says it's due to money etc but of course the real issue is that she doesn't want me leaving. I have basically made up my mind that I'm definitely leaving, because it shouldn't be up to her and I know I will regret it forever if I don't.

The issue is, the student loan most likely won't cover enough. I'm trying to get a job but at the moment it's very difficult due to all the lockdowns and there are more people looking for jobs than there are people hiring. I will be going to uni in 2022.

I'm not sure what to do? If I don't get a job in time to save enough money I'll be completely screwed.
How do you know that the Student Loan won't be enough to live on? Other people seem to manage, although I know that it can be a squeeze sometimes.
Last edited by Kerzen; 1 month ago
nom06
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Kerzen)
How do you know that the Student Loan won't be enough to live on? Other people seem to manage, although I know that it can be a squeeze sometimes.
I've tried calculating it but my dad has lost his job recently and is starting a business etc so really I don't know what our income will be. If it was just my mum's income then the loan would be enough to live on but at the moment I'm not sure
TJ1997
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry to hear about your dad being laid off, but the new venture could be good hopefully. I'm having a similar issue for my masters as I want to live in halls again, but the lack of a maintenance loan is making it difficult. Hoping to find work on campus but not sure how much it will help with things.
Last edited by TJ1997; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (87)
39.01%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (15)
6.73%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (53)
23.77%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
12.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.17%

Watched Threads