Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey all,

Im an F3 doctor going into F4, and looking to apply for academic IMT jobs this year.
I have a medium level portfolio- done the QIPs, posters/presentations, lots of teaching and some teaching training. I'm mainly missing postgrad qualifications, and publications.

Has anyone applied and can tell me what the process is like. Ive seen the benchmarking online, is this the standard each job has to use or do they change it depending on what they're looking for?
Also how were interviews? And for those doing the programmes do you recommend?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Oh yeah, you'll just have 'academic IMT' jobs now. Does that mean you couldn't apply for any group 2 specialties even if you wanted to?

Even though I've been through it I'm not very knowledgeable about this - I barely remember my interview. And all i remember about benchmarking is that you have to meet the standard for entry onto the 'standard' course - its not not good enough to just meet the academic criteria.

Yeah worth doing the program. Its just dedicated time to do academic work after all, and gets you access to things like being a university staff member, courses etc.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
From what I can tell, its going to be three years for the majority. I don't know if the group 2 specialities have a 2 year academic route and then progress onto that speciality.
TBH I don't mind doing the three years, this rush that lots of docs have to becoming a consultant I just don't get... the main reason I want to do it is to have that time with experienced people and try out research. Ill have been locuming as an SHO for 2 years before starting, so the ward side of the jobs is fine. The struggle is to find the team thats willing to guide you into decent quality projects, and when your normal job has you on-call, working every other weekend or nights, there's so little time left to do anything of value...
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
From what I can tell, its going to be three years for the majority. I don't know if the group 2 specialities have a 2 year academic route and then progress onto that speciality.
Some people have an e.g. oncology ST1 ACF. So 2 years IMT, then 1 year oncology, before proceeding into ST2 oncology with a training number.

TBH I don't mind doing the three years, this rush that lots of docs have to becoming a consultant I just don't get...
I think its more people rushing to do the specialty they actually want to do. I don't think I ever heard anything positive about CMT and the idea of a year extra sounds like hell! But hey, maybe IMT will be/is better.

The struggle is to find the team thats willing to guide you into decent quality projects, and when your normal job has you on-call, working every other weekend or nights, there's so little time left to do anything of value...
Well ACF certainly gives you that time, albeit not really enough to do anything significant. Finding a project - that's still mainly down to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (18)
16.22%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (21)
18.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (13)
11.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (35)
31.53%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (19)
17.12%

Watched Threads