totocorrea
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey guys, hope all of you are doing OK with this corona-stuff.

My name is Cristobal, from Chile, and Im a Industrial Engineer with more than 5 years of professional experience.

The reason why i'm writing here is because i'm planning to study a MBA in an english university, on 2022, and University of Liverpool is one of the alternatives i'm considering, as well as the university of Nottingham, of Southampton, of Newcastle, of Sussex, of Kent, and the decision will basically depend on how much money I can save, to pay the tuition fees and the cost of life during the programme.

Having said that, i would much appreciate if you could help me by telling me how is the life in Liverpool, how's the weather (I live in Santiago, Chile, avg temperature of 15 °C and higher, so i prefer hot weather), if it's a safe city (like for walking at night and stuff), if its expensive (expensier than..) and whatever other thing you could tell me about the city, and any comparison with any of the other cities.

Im also a huge fan of football, specially about Premier League, so I would also appreciate if you could tell me (once the corona is over), if its possible to get tickets to see a Liverpool's match during the season.

Im traveling with my wife, but she wont study any specific course, so we are planning to have a good time in UK, while I study one year abroad.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Cristóbal
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by totocorrea)

My name is Cristobal, from Chile, and Im a Industrial Engineer with more than 5 years of professional experience.

The reason why i'm writing here is because i'm planning to study a MBA in an english university, on 2022, and University of Liverpool is one of the alternatives i'm considering, as well as the university of Nottingham, of Southampton, of Newcastle, of Sussex, of Kent, and the decision will basically depend on how much money I can save, to pay the tuition fees and the cost of life during the programme.

Having said that, i would much appreciate if you could help me by telling me how is the life in Liverpool, how's the weather (I live in Santiago, Chile, avg temperature of 15 °C and higher, so i prefer hot weather), if it's a safe city (like for walking at night and stuff), if its expensive (expensier than..) and whatever other thing you could tell me about the city, and any comparison with any of the other cities.

Im also a huge fan of football, specially about Premier League, so I would also appreciate if you could tell me (once the corona is over), if its possible to get tickets to see a Liverpool's match during the season.

Im traveling with my wife, but she wont study any specific course, so we are planning to have a good time in UK, while I study one year abroad.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Cristóbal
Liverpool is probably a bit colder than average, because it's on a river and by the sea. It rains a fair amount, but it rains a lot in the UK, so I wouldn't let that put you off.

Liverpool is a pretty cheap city to live in, although rents are getting higher, and the city centre can be a tad expensive. Nowhere near as expensive as anywhere in the south, though. I had a one bedroom studio in the city centre for £600 per month. I felt safe living there, although there were some areas I would definitely not go to, especially late at night, but that's the same for a lot of cities.

You could probably get a season ticket but they sell out quickly - I'm not an expert.
totocorrea
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
Liverpool is probably a bit colder than average, because it's on a river and by the sea. It rains a fair amount, but it rains a lot in the UK, so I wouldn't let that put you off.

Liverpool is a pretty cheap city to live in, although rents are getting higher, and the city centre can be a tad expensive. Nowhere near as expensive as anywhere in the south, though. I had a one bedroom studio in the city centre for £600 per month. I felt safe living there, although there were some areas I would definitely not go to, especially late at night, but that's the same for a lot of cities.

You could probably get a season ticket but they sell out quickly - I'm not an expert.
Thanks for your response mate.

About the climate, is it Liverpool still cold and rainy at spring and summer? or at least in those months you get some sun and warm weather?

We will be looking similar to rent, obviously private and not in a Uni acommodation, but a "decent" 1bedroom/1bathroom flat..
Last edited by totocorrea; 3 months ago
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for your response mate.

About the climate, is it Liverpool still cold and rainy at spring and summer? or at least in those months you get some sun and warm weather?

We will be looking similar to rent, obviously private and not in a Uni acommodation, but a "decent" 1bedroom/1bathroom flat..
It varies but you will get some nice weather in the spring/summer. This might be helpful: https://en.climate-data.org/europe/u...liverpool-107/

And yes, of course, probably look at £600 per month as a minimum then, but probably more, especially if you want to be in walking distance of the university.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Cristóbal
Hello totocorrea,

I agree with all Sandtrooper has said.

The more southern universities will be warmer yet all of them will have some sunny spells in spring and summer and rainy spell in autumn and winter. Since Liverpool is on the coast, the wind can make it feel somewhat colder.

In terms of how cheap the city is, it is similar to Newcastle but they are both super cheap in general. The rent and cost of living in general will be cheaper here than in your other Universities of interest.

Liverpool is generally a safe city, but as in any city, it is advisable to take precautions e.g., not walking alone at night time.

It is very competitive to get Liverpool FC tickets and if you are able to get one they are very expensive. It may become easier for you to get a ticket by making some connections with people in the city.

The city is a great city to explore for a year, there's lots of culture and activities to keep you occupied for the year and I would highly recommend it!

Antonia
University of Liverpool- Student Ambassador
totocorrea
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep)
Hello totocorrea,

I agree with all Sandtrooper has said.

The more southern universities will be warmer yet all of them will have some sunny spells in spring and summer and rainy spell in autumn and winter. Since Liverpool is on the coast, the wind can make it feel somewhat colder.

In terms of how cheap the city is, it is similar to Newcastle but they are both super cheap in general. The rent and cost of living in general will be cheaper here than in your other Universities of interest.

Liverpool is generally a safe city, but as in any city, it is advisable to take precautions e.g., not walking alone at night time.

It is very competitive to get Liverpool FC tickets and if you are able to get one they are very expensive. It may become easier for you to get a ticket by making some connections with people in the city.

The city is a great city to explore for a year, there's lots of culture and activities to keep you occupied for the year and I would highly recommend it!

Antonia
University of Liverpool- Student Ambassador
Thank you both very much, Antonia and Sandtrooper. You’ve been very helpful.

Lets hope the scenario with coronavirus improves, so I can have the full UK/MBA experience, independent in what Uni I choose to apply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.56%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.57%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (59)
27.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.39%

Watched Threads