Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m a L3 animal management student and about to begin my studies to become a primary school teacher. I love animals, but the jobs are either unethical or do not pay well. I have always wanted to stay in the school environment, so chose to venture on my new route as a teacher.

Now the spanner in the works....

An animal technician job has come up at my old school. This is literally a dream job, I loved it there and get the school environment + animals. It’s a win win. Pay however is £18,000-£24,000 so not great long term and is a 12 month contract with the strong possibility of becoming permanent.

What would you do? Continue with studies or apply for the job? I’d rather not go to uni in the future (as I would likely have to work alongside my studies whereas currently I can give my full attention to studies) and am also aware this job wouldn’t come again anytime soon 😩😩😩 it’s one or the other and I’m so stuck.
EchoCat_39
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
DREAM JOB!

Uni and funding will be there until you're 60. Contracts can get extended, pay can go up and going into a teaching degree with work experience rather than straight from college etc is SO desirable.

That industry and general work experience against candidates that have none will be invaluable.\
DREAM JOB!!!!!
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Trust you gut instinct and listen to what your feelings are telling you.
If it were me, I would go for the animal technician job to build up my employment experience and some savings for a few years.
Good luck!
Lluvia Morado
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'd take the job. The experience will be really good, and if at the end of the 12 months the job does not get renewed/made permanent, you can reconsider Uni. starting a year later really will make no difference in the grand scheme of things... besides, with your salary maybe you can save a bit so that you have less need to get a job alongside studying if you were to start uni next year (or later)?
Tw1x
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Definitely the job for me, you can save, there is the possibility for promotion and if it doesn't work out university is still there at the end!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
17.09%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (37)
31.62%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.26%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.11%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.27%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
23.93%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.71%

Watched Threads