Applying directly through university or UCAS

Watch
TSJ-
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a current senior highschool student from the United States and I had a question regarding what application route I can apply for, I already processed my application to five colleges through UCAS and I did not hear about Portsmouth University until after I filled out my UCAS application and I am heavily interested in the computer science course. If I could've, I would've set Portsmouth as my main choice but it's too late for that. Am I able to apply directly through the university website or am I not eligible to apply if I already applied through UCAS to other universities?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TSJ-)
I am a current senior highschool student from the United States and I had a question regarding what application route I can apply for, I already processed my application to five colleges through UCAS and I did not hear about Portsmouth University until after I filled out my UCAS application and I am heavily interested in the computer science course. If I could've, I would've set Portsmouth as my main choice but it's too late for that. Am I able to apply directly through the university website or am I not eligible to apply if I already applied through UCAS to other universities?
You cannot apply directly to universities for UK undergraduate education.

You would have to withdraw all your other applications and apply for 1 course through UCAS extra. You can pre-emptively contact the admissions office and ask if they have spots available through UCAS extra and if you would be a suitable candidate or not thus mitigating the risk of rejection if you do this but nothing is guaranteed.

--
PQ Admit-One
TSJ-
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
You cannot apply directly to universities for UK undergraduate education.
What about their foundation years? I looked over the application form for a foundation year in creative computing and it gave me the access to submit an application but I did not complete it. Thanks
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TSJ-)
What about their foundation years? I looked over the application form for a foundation year in creative computing and it gave me the access to submit an application but I did not complete it. Thanks
Im not sure about foundation years. Ive tagged in 2 users (PQ & Admit-One) above who might know though.

You can always contact Portsmouth uni admissions and ask them what the protocol for foundation year programs is.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TSJ-)
If you have a UCAS application then you cannot use any UK university's direct application. That would be breaking the university's contract with UCAS.

You can apply to Portsmouth through UCAS Extra or Clearing if you decline your other offers but you can't use a direct application to have more choices outside UCAS.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TSJ-)
If it's a freestanding foundation year for international students only then you can apply directly.
If it's an integrated foundation year then you can't apply outside of a UCAS applications
TSJ-
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If it's a freestanding foundation year for international students only then you can apply directly.
If it's an integrated foundation year then you can't apply outside of a UCAS applications
Okay, thank you this is what I needed
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
PRSOM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (118)
27.13%
England (155)
35.63%
Belgium (33)
7.59%
Germany (42)
9.66%
Spain (10)
2.3%
Italy (37)
8.51%
Netherlands (14)
3.22%
Other (Tell us who) (26)
5.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise