Revisemathss
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I want to study international relations at university, but I don’t know what a levels will be the best for it.
I was hoping to do English lit, geography and sociology, but I’ve heard that top universities such as LSE and Oxford want a variation in a levels.

So I want to know if I should drop sociology and do biology instead, I’m currently getting 6s in biology.
something_orphic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Just do what ever you will enjoy best as you will be studying this for two years and enjoying it will make it easier to get the good grades that you.

Now I dont know about the variation thing as I am not an LSE or Oxford applicant but it sounds like to me English Lit, Geography and sociology would be enough of a variation as it is. I think by variation they would mean they would prefer it if you didn't have A levels that overlapped in content or too similar. For example, Business and economics is sometimes seen as too closely related. I would stick with sociology tbh as it sounds like you would do better in it than biology.
Lluvia Morado
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
First, choose the subjects that interest you the most, next, prioritise the ones you've done well in.

I want to add though, I did GCSEs years ago and got Bs and Cs (old grading), my Bs (new grading would be 6) were in English Lit & English Language and Drama, C in everything else. At A level I did English Lit and Sociology and got B in AS English lit and an E in Sociology :laugh:
So, not to put you off, but I'd be wary of Sociology if it might lose you a grade (what are the entry requirements of the degree? If you got a B at GCSE in Biology you'll probably get at least that at A level). Of course you might ace Sociology, I don't know, but with my experience it resulted in me ditching A levels after AS year, I worked a bit, went back into education later, did and Access to HE course (Biology and Chemistry) and passed with 30 credits at distinction (out of a maximum 45), which I believe is equivalent to an A and 2 Bs or something? Anyway, I'm now doing a Zoology BSc.
Pinkflower1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I am looking to go to lse as well. At the beginning of year 12 I was taking sociology and then I switched into maths to try and better my chances at studying economics at a good uni . In my gcse i got a 7 , so i think if you are willing to put the work in you’ll be okay. At the beginning maths was very difficult but i put the revision in and now its okay . Think about whether biology will benefit you in later life tho as maths for me helps with economics etc . Hope that helps
rubystanden02
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Revisemathss)
I want to study international relations at university, but I don’t know what a levels will be the best for it.
I was hoping to do English lit, geography and sociology, but I’ve heard that top universities such as LSE and Oxford want a variation in a levels.

So I want to know if I should drop sociology and do biology instead, I’m currently getting 6s in biology.
hii, i have offers for politics and international relations at ussell groups this september and i take english lit, english lang and history
my friend is doing economics and international relations and she takes maths, physics and history, so it really doesn't matter what you take just as long as you are passionate about the subjects you'll do fine in applying for international relations
just be prepared that if you find it challenging at gcse a level might be harder (but that doesn't mean you can't do well )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads