HippyChick04
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Looking at Arden for studying BA acting in Sept 2022.
Is it a good place to get a degree & to get into the industry?
Any answers to this question and any other info about studying and accommodation etc welcome please x
Arden University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HippyChick04)
Looking at Arden for studying BA acting in Sept 2022.
Is it a good place to get a degree & to get into the industry?
Any answers to this question and any other info about studying and accommodation etc welcome please x
HippyChick04
Hello! I am currently doing my MSc at Arden University so I know about the academic standards etc.

I did a degree at a large mainstream university and left in 2011, and said that I would only come back into education if I found a University that I could really work with and support my development. I waited 8 years until I found Arden! Arden has a very modern approach and there is a greater understanding of the flexibility that modern students need due to work commitment etc.

I am a teacher myself with eight years experience so know that the teaching standard is good

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Last edited by Arden University; 1 month ago
HippyChick04
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Arden University)
HippyChick04
Hello! I am currently doing my MSc at Arden University so I know about the academic standards etc.

I did a degree at a large mainstream university and left in 2011, and said that I would only come back into education if I found a University that I could really work with and support my development. I waited 8 years until I found Arden! Arden has a very modern approach and there is a greater understanding of the flexibility that modern students need due to work commitment etc.

I am a teacher myself with eight years experience so know that the teaching standard is good

Marc
Thanks for your reply Marc.
I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to apply for a Conservatoires or a Universities for the degree in acting I am want to do.
Any advice that you can offer which may help me make my choice will be gratefully received please.
Also what is Ardens accommodation, social life, work opportunities after degree and work opportunities during studying etc please.
Arden University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to apply for a Conservatoires or a Universities for the degree in acting I am want to do.
Any advice that you can offer which may help me make my choice will be gratefully received please.
Also what is Ardens accommodation, social life, work opportunities after degree and work opportunities during studying etc please.
HippyChick04
The Arden campus in Manchester is really easy to get too, with Oxford Road train station about 5 minutes walk away, and public transport in the city is great (I never learnt to drive and saved a fortune living here). Arden itself does not have accommodation, however, there are a lot of purpose built student properties within 5 minutes walk. In terms of employability in your subject area I wouldn't really know, I would say that links to economic factors in the world post Covid 19. I know that the Government is considering quite radical funding changes to art/performance based subjects from August onward - there was an article about it in the Guardian this morning.

There is lots to do in Manchester, 5th Avenue nightclub is a typical haunt for many. The Northern Quarter is where cool people (and nerds like me) tend to hang out. lots of cafe's, bars, art house cinema etc. Here is a useful 'study with us' page from the Arden website https://arden.ac.uk/studying-with-us.../accommodation

Marc
Bunny-hop123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Arden has a very good reputation, but I think it is wise to combine your acting studies with some Musical theatre skills. This is because I know a few agents and there are so many more jobs for people with MT skills, than just acting skills. So if you go to Arden, take some evening jazz, tap, ballet classes at what used to be Northern Ballet School, above the main Dancehouse Theatre on Oxford Road. Take some Singing lessons. Get into as many "fringe" Musical Theatre plays as you can, and invite the local theatrical agents to see you. Head down to Buxton and get into their "community" musical theatre production, for experience on working on a main stage - also - its a lovely place. Living in Manchester is great -socially - but to be safe, I'd seek out accommodation in Firgrove, Didsbury, Sale, or other more suburban areas. There are 8000 homeless people in Manchester - most of them won't attack you when you go home at night, but a few are dangerous. Good luck. Arden is really a great place.
Last edited by Bunny-hop123; 1 month ago
actinggg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! I just thought I'd let you know that the reply from the Arden University is different to the Arden School Of Theatre. (the drama school).I'm starting the BA Acting Course at Arden in September, and the audition process was so lovely! The staff are still working in the acting industry themselves, and the course prioritises screen acting over theatre (although theatre is still a large part of the course), as screen acting is more relevant in today's industry.For accommodation, you sadly have to find your own I'm still sorting that, but I've heard Daisy Bank is supposed to be good!Good Luck! x
HippyChick04
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by actinggg)
Hi! I just thought I'd let you know that the reply from the Arden University is different to the Arden School Of Theatre. (the drama school).I'm starting the BA Acting Course at Arden in September, and the audition process was so lovely! The staff are still working in the acting industry themselves, and the course prioritises screen acting over theatre (although theatre is still a large part of the course), as screen acting is more relevant in today's industry.For accommodation, you sadly have to find your own I'm still sorting that, but I've heard Daisy Bank is supposed to be good!Good Luck! x
Thanks actinggg.
I realised the reply wasn't from the drama school, please can you share your experience of applying, auditions basically everything as I'll be applying to start this course for starting nxt Sept. Advice on anything is helpful x
actinggg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks actinggg.
I realised the reply wasn't from the drama school, please can you share your experience of applying, auditions basically everything as I'll be applying to start this course for starting nxt Sept. Advice on anything is helpful x
Of course! The audition process was super relaxed! So the first round was self-tapes where they gave us a duologue to perform, and a Shakespeare monologue that they provide you with. For the 1st recall, you're put into a zoom call with all of the other successful applicants, and they talk you through the course and they did a little q&a with us, before splitting us into groups where we each performed the contemporary monologues of our choice one-by-one. The entire recall lasted about 4 hours, but they give you breaks! The panel make it feel more like a workshop/lesson than an audition, so that's really nice! We then had a second-round recall, where it was basically a quick interview and another opportunity to perform the same contemporary monologue, and then we just had to wait to find out the outcome! I auditioned for loadssss of drama schools, but the whole process for Arden was definitely the best! Hope this helps! xx
HippyChick04
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by actinggg)
Of course! The audition process was super relaxed! So the first round was self-tapes where they gave us a duologue to perform, and a Shakespeare monologue that they provide you with. For the 1st recall, you're put into a zoom call with all of the other successful applicants, and they talk you through the course and they did a little q&a with us, before splitting us into groups where we each performed the contemporary monologues of our choice one-by-one. The entire recall lasted about 4 hours, but they give you breaks! The panel make it feel more like a workshop/lesson than an audition, so that's really nice! We then had a second-round recall, where it was basically a quick interview and another opportunity to perform the same contemporary monologue, and then we just had to wait to find out the outcome! I auditioned for loadssss of drama schools, but the whole process for Arden was definitely the best! Hope this helps! xx
Is this your first year of applying as it will be mine & what others did you apply for?
Also do Arden point you in the right direction for reputable accommodation providers?
I'm so nervous that I won't get accepted anywhere & prepared for rejections as know its part of the industry but desperately hoping to get accepted somewhere x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads