A-Level study advice

Watch
auiii
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I dropped my EPQ today to focus on my more important subjects as my grades aren't great. However, the reason my grades aren't good is that I don't know how to study. I coasted my entire GCSE's and don't how where to start with revising for my A-levels.

any advice?

the subjects I'm taking currently are chemistry, geography, and BTEC sport.
Preets741
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Have you started with a plan or a timetable.

Maybe write down all the topics for each and tick them off as you’ve been through them.

Also if for geography you have to do essays then essay plans are great, I studies psychology, sociology and fine art so my subjects may have been set out very different.
X
Last edited by Preets741; 8 months ago
auiii
Rep:
thank you for your advice, and no I haven't started a plan or timetable as I'm not sure how to manage my time right to work on each subject equally.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by auiii)
I dropped my EPQ today to focus on my more important subjects as my grades aren't great. However, the reason my grades aren't good is that I don't know how to study. I coasted my entire GCSE's and don't how where to start with revising for my A-levels.

any advice?

Hi! auiii

I took Law, Psychology, Biology and Geography at a level. I was in a similar situation to you but once I took on board some revision techniques my grades improved massively.

I use to try and revise at the end of each module in that subject and revise little and often, even if it's answering some quick 2 mark quick questions (about 10 of them).
When I was doing revision I made sure I went through the module and noted down all the key fact and terms etc on an A3 poster and hung it on my bedroom wall so I would always be remembered of the key facts. Every so often I would try and write down everything I could from the poster. The facts which I missed off or got wrong I would then write over in a different colour so I would know where I went wrong. Doing this little and often is really useful. Also, creating the poster with classmates can be really useful, so you get all of the right facts on the poster.
You could always scan and print a copy of the poster to take with you to college/school to revise in breaks. Also, get your teacher to look at your revision, as they'll be able to tell you if you're missing anything or if you might be wrong.

Also, speak to your teachers and ask for help. they should be able to think of specific revision tools for you, maybe like a website or something. If you do past papers often enough and get them marked by your teacher, they'll be able to recognise where you're making mistakes and be able to provide you with some constructive feedback. Doing this from the start is extremely useful. Also, try and find your learning type (visual, kinesthetic, audio). You can take a quiz to find this out and the results will give you revision tips based on your learning type.

Don't forget taking time for yourself is really important! going out for a walk every day or even just watching tv even helps to give your brain some rest. However, exercise, diet and rest/sleep is key.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
emma543
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by auiii)

any advice?

I don't do any of the subjects you take but I do biology and the key to it is exam questions and it is the same across all A-Level sciences. So, really what I like to do is learn the content from the textbook, make flash cards on it (quizlet is my fav!) and then continually test myself, once I feel like I know that topic I then move on to exam questions. If I get an exam question wrong, I add it to my flash cards- I also try to spot patterns with ms but I don't think chemistry ms is as specific as biology so this might be a good idea or not? Hopefully this helps
auiii
Rep:
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi! auiii

I took Law, Psychology, Biology and Geography at a level. I was in a similar situation to you but once I took on board some revision techniques my grades improved massively.

I use to try and revise at the end of each module in that subject and revise little and often, even if it's answering some quick 2 mark quick questions (about 10 of them).
When I was doing revision I made sure I went through the module and noted down all the key fact and terms etc on an A3 poster and hung it on my bedroom wall so I would always be remembered of the key facts. Every so often I would try and write down everything I could from the poster. The facts which I missed off or got wrong I would then write over in a different colour so I would know where I went wrong. Doing this little and often is really useful. Also, creating the poster with classmates can be really useful, so you get all of the right facts on the poster.
You could always scan and print a copy of the poster to take with you to college/school to revise in breaks. Also, get your teacher to look at your revision, as they'll be able to tell you if you're missing anything or if you might be wrong.

Also, speak to your teachers and ask for help. they should be able to think of specific revision tools for you, maybe like a website or something. If you do past papers often enough and get them marked by your teacher, they'll be able to recognise where you're making mistakes and be able to provide you with some constructive feedback. Doing this from the start is extremely useful. Also, try and find your learning type (visual, kinesthetic, audio). You can take a quiz to find this out and the results will give you revision tips based on your learning type.

Don't forget taking time for yourself is really important! going out for a walk every day or even just watching tv even helps to give your brain some rest. However, exercise, diet and rest/sleep is key.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
thank you so much Chloe! I appreciate your advice and will definitely take it into consideration!
auiii
Rep:
(Original post by emma543)
I don't do any of the subjects you take but I do biology and the key to it is exam questions and it is the same across all A-Level sciences. So, really what I like to do is learn the content from the textbook, make flash cards on it (quizlet is my fav!) and then continually test myself, once I feel like I know that topic I then move on to exam questions. If I get an exam question wrong, I add it to my flash cards- I also try to spot patterns with ms but I don't think chemistry ms is as specific as biology so this might be a good idea or not? Hopefully this helps
thank you so much, i will definitely try this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.69%
Note taking apps (7)
1.86%
Flashcards (86)
22.81%
Revision guides (19)
5.04%
Past papers (172)
45.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise