The Student Room Group

Uni lectures?

Do lecturers pick on students to answer. questions and stuff?
Also is there like a seating plan, like once you sit there is that ur seat forever?
Also is there a different lecturer for different modules?
What did you do on the first day of uni?

Sorry im stressing
Reply 1
also can you eat in lectures , like have coffee and a snack or something
Is there a dresscode - like can i wear sweats?
Do you have to be there for the whole 2 hours or so or can you leave after 1 hour
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Also is there like a seating plan, like once you sit there is that ur seat forever?

Sorry im stressing

No, the lecturers don't really care. If no one answers they'll just tell you the answer instead of waiting for someone to answer first.
There isn't really a seating plan but people do have seat they prefer and sit in those 99% of the time.
Not only are there different lecturers for different modules, there's usually different lecturers for even one module!
First day of university was Freshers, so just made friends joined societies and stuff!

also can you eat in lectures , like have coffee and a snack or something
Is there a dresscode - like can i wear sweats?
Do you have to be there for the whole 2 hours or so or can you leave after 1 hour

This depends on the lecturer, but none I have allowed you to eat during the lectures as it's just disrespectful. You are allowed to eat in-between the breaks they give you tho.
There isn't a dress code, wait for halloween and you'll see people show up in all sorts of costumes. Although if you are doing medicine or something which has placement then please dress smart for when you go to the placement.
I'd recommend staying for the entire lectures as they are really useful, plus I think it's a bit disrespectful if you leave half way through the lectures.

If you don't mind me asking, what course are you doing at uni?
Reply 3
Original post by SyedN
No, the lecturers don't really care. If no one answers they'll just tell you the answer instead of waiting for someone to answer first.
There isn't really a seating plan but people do have seat they prefer and sit in those 99% of the time.
Not only are there different lecturers for different modules, there's usually different lecturers for even one module!
First day of university was Freshers, so just made friends joined societies and stuff!

This depends on the lecturer, but none I have allowed you to eat during the lectures as it's just disrespectful. You are allowed to eat in-between the breaks they give you tho.
There isn't a dress code, wait for halloween and you'll see people show up in all sorts of costumes. Although if you are doing medicine or something which has placement then please dress smart for when you go to the placement.
I'd recommend staying for the entire lectures as they are really useful, plus I think it's a bit disrespectful if you leave half way through the lectures.

If you don't mind me asking, what course are you doing at uni?

Thank you for answering the questions loads of people have given me different answers but then again i guess its based on diff lecturers.
I am planning to study Business management this September. What about you, what do you study?
Reply 4

Sorry im stressing

No seating plan.

Sometimes they choose people but not really - more so in seminars or if u mess around
Reply 5
Whats the difference between a seminar and a lecture?
Reply 6
Thank you for answering the questions loads of people have given me different answers but then again i guess its based on diff lecturers.
I am planning to study Business management this September. What about you, what do you study?

That's pretty good, what university are you going to? I'm doing Clinical Sciences, but will hopefully be transferring to year 2 of Medicine this summer!

Whats the difference between a seminar and a lecture?

Seminars are usually small group sessions, whereas lectures are to your whole cohort at once.
Whether the lecturer will ask questions and pick on people to answer them varies a lot; some lecturers do this as standard, others really avoid it, some don't ask questions to the group at all (and just talk at you for an hour). Generally there isn't a seating plan per se, although usually over the course of the term certain people tend to sit in certain spots regularly (e.g. the same few people tend to sit at the front, same few at the back). Usually different modules will have different lecturers, although often lecturers teach more than one module at a time (but rarely more than one from the same year, so it's unlikely you will have the same lecturer for multiple modules in the same term generally).

You will generally be expected to attend for the full lecture, although many people don't attend lectures (or don't attend some lectures - 9am lectures curiously always seem to be less filled than others...). Leaving lectures early would not usually look too good, although sometimes it happens if you have an emergency come up or something. If you are just bored or something then (aside from spending some time examining why you are doing that course in the first place) it would be better to wait for a break to be announced by the lecturer before leaving and just...not come back. It may or may not be noticed depending on the size of your cohort and how much your lecturer pays attention to individuals. You can wear whatever you want in theory, and people can and do show up to lectures in pyjamas, although I'd suggest not wearing anything you wouldn't be happy to be seen in public outside of uni wearing. If it's a guest lecture by an industry professional or similar, then you might want to not wear a onesie or something as well, on the offchance you later meet them at a networking event and that is how they remember you. .

Seminars/tutorials are usually small group classes, with ~20 or fewer students (sometimes as few as 5-10, or for Oxbridge as few as 2!), with seminars usually being more discussion based with the expectation that the students will lead the discussion (in theory anyway, in practice I'm not sure this happens that often...). Lectures tend to be larger affairs with the full cohort in the lecture (which depending on your subject and where you are studying, could be anywhere from 20-200 students), and usually a lot less interactive (but if you are on a smaller course or in certain subjects where there might be more incentive for the lecturer to ask questions to the students to facilitate learning, there can be some interaction). Often lectures can be, as above, just the lecturer reading off a slideshow to you, basically talking at you, for the length of the lecture. Better lecturers tend to try and make things more engaging, usually by including more interactivity. In principle usually students can ask questions on the material being lectured to clarify a point, although if it's very tangential then it might be recommended for that student to ask in office hours or during a tutorial or sermina.

Drinking in lectures is usually fine, although I'd recommend sticking to water (sometimes it's a rule that you can only drink water in lecture theatres at some unis), as carbonated drinks make noise when you open them and drinks other than water can leave sticky patches if you spill any. Eating is usually going to be frowned upon except in very small lecture groups where the lecturer encourages it explicitly, and as with the drinks may not be permitted in the lecture theatres as a rule (although unlikely to be generally followed), although if you have e.g. diabetes or a similar medical condition that would require you have a snack from time to time then that would probably be ok (although best to let the lecturer know beforehand).

Generally the golden rule applies, act how you would expect to be treated by your peers. People don't want to go to a lecture to listen to someone munching on crisps, or to put down their paper and pen on the desk surface and find that someone spilled some sticky soft drink on it in the previous lecture and now there is gunk all over their stationery. Note the above about food and drink is for lectures, and different rules may apply for seminars or tutorials (which may be run more informally with tea and biscuits or something potentially, although this seems unusual to me in my experience), and for obvious reasons you can't eat or drink in laboratory or computing environments normally (labs you can't ever eat or drink in, computing rooms usually you are limited to only drinking water from a covered container, if that).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Whether the lecturer will ask questions and pick on people to answer them varies a lot; some lecturers do this as standard, others really avoid it, some don't ask questions to the group at all (and just talk at you for an hour). Generally there isn't a seating plan per se, although usually over the course of the term certain people tend to sit in certain spots regularly (e.g. the same few people tend to sit at the front, same few at the back). Usually different modules will have different lecturers, although often lecturers teach more than one module at a time (but rarely more than one from the same year, so it's unlikely you will have the same lecturer for multiple modules in the same term generally).

You will generally be expected to attend for the full lecture, although many people don't attend lectures (or don't attend some lectures - 9am lectures curiously always seem to be less filled than others...). Leaving lectures early would not usually look too good, although sometimes it happens if you have an emergency come up or something. If you are just bored or something then (aside from spending some time examining why you are doing that course in the first place) it would be better to wait for a break to be announced by the lecturer before leaving and just...not come back. It may or may not be noticed depending on the size of your cohort and how much your lecturer pays attention to individuals. You can wear whatever you want in theory, and people can and do show up to lectures in pyjamas, although I'd suggest not wearing anything you wouldn't be happy to be seen in public outside of uni wearing. If it's a guest lecture by an industry professional or similar, then you might want to not wear a onesie or something as well, on the offchance you later meet them at a networking event and that is how they remember you. .

Seminars/tutorials are usually small group classes, with ~20 or fewer students (sometimes as few as 5-10, or for Oxbridge as few as 2!), with seminars usually being more discussion based with the expectation that the students will lead the discussion (in theory anyway, in practice I'm not sure this happens that often...). Lectures tend to be larger affairs with the full cohort in the lecture (which depending on your subject and where you are studying, could be anywhere from 20-200 students), and usually a lot less interactive (but if you are on a smaller course or in certain subjects where there might be more incentive for the lecturer to ask questions to the students to facilitate learning, there can be some interaction). Often lectures can be, as above, just the lecturer reading off a slideshow to you, basically talking at you, for the length of the lecture. Better lecturers tend to try and make things more engaging, usually by including more interactivity. In principle usually students can ask questions on the material being lectured to clarify a point, although if it's very tangential then it might be recommended for that student to ask in office hours or during a tutorial or sermina.

Drinking in lectures is usually fine, although I'd recommend sticking to water (sometimes it's a rule that you can only drink water in lecture theatres at some unis), as carbonated drinks make noise when you open them and drinks other than water can leave sticky patches if you spill any. Eating is usually going to be frowned upon except in very small lecture groups where the lecturer encourages it explicitly, and as with the drinks may not be permitted in the lecture theatres as a rule (although unlikely to be generally followed), although if you have e.g. diabetes or a similar medical condition that would require you have a snack from time to time then that would probably be ok (although best to let the lecturer know beforehand).

Generally the golden rule applies, act how you would expect to be treated by your peers. People don't want to go to a lecture to listen to someone munching on crisps, or to put down their paper and pen on the desk surface and find that someone spilled some sticky soft drink on it in the previous lecture and now there is gunk all over their stationery. Note the above about food and drink is for lectures, and different rules may apply for seminars or tutorials (which may be run more informally with tea and biscuits or something potentially, although this seems unusual to me in my experience), and for obvious reasons you can't eat or drink in laboratory or computing environments normally (labs you can't ever eat or drink in, computing rooms usually you are limited to only drinking water from a covered container, if that).

Cool thank you.
Yh I thought that eating is not allowed like normal secondary school classes but then my friends sibling told me that they are allowed to eat and drink in both lectures and seminars so i thought it was a university thing. Although i did find it weird, i didn't really question it.

Sorry im stressing

Hey,

Lecturers don't usually pick on students to answer questions in lectures as a lecture is a lesson where the lecturer will present a topic to the students. Students just sit and listen to the lecturer whilst taking down notes from the powerpoint the lecturer is presenting from. Tutorials are smaller classes usually 8-10 students (depending on the module) and tutors often pick students out if they're not volunteering to answer the questions- there's nothing to worry about though! Just make sure you prepare in advance from the tutorial handbook and you'll be fine :smile:

There's no seating in lectures, just choose any seat you want! I usually sat in the middle with my friends as you're not too close to the front or too far from the back that you can't hear what the lecturer is saying! Usually you'll just end up sitting in the same seat with your friends depending on the lecture hall.

There's different lecturers and tutors for different lectures and tutorials. You'll probably get assigned a personal advisor as well, they'll arrange a meeting with you once a semester and have a chat with you about how you're doing academically. My personal advisor was great and if I had any academic or personal concerns that affected my studies, I'd arrange a meeting with them and they'd help me. Personal advisors are there to support you in an academic capacity.

First day at uni- I got an induction on my course and had a few introductory lectures in my first week. We met the head of our school in our introductory lecture, followed by a mini tutorial then an IT session to learn more about the university portal and learning system. Your course will most likely have a similar induction week depending on the subject you're studying.

There is also a 'freshers week' in the first week at uni. Lots of clubs and societies attend freshers week so it's a great way to meet some of their members if you're interested in a particular society! Check out your uni website and see what your uni has to offer :smile:

I hope you have the best time at uni :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Reply 10

For me, no. But then again, all my lectures are and have always been online because of coronavirus so it's just me sitting alone at home like this for an hour straight:

Computer-Guy.jpeg
Computer-Guy-Facepalm.jpeg
Cool thank you.
Yh I thought that eating is not allowed like normal secondary school classes but then my friends sibling told me that they are allowed to eat and drink in both lectures and seminars so i thought it was a university thing. Although i did find it weird, i didn't really question it.

I mean to be fair people do eat in lectures but it's at best considered pretty impolite if you haven't been invited to do so by the lecturer, and is not very respectful of your fellow students. This is of course for in person lectures; for online lectures it doesn't really matter, although I would not suggest doing so with your camera on :tongue:
Hi,

Firstly, no need to stress, everyone is in the same boat and everything will work itself out.

To answer your questions, it may vary slightly depening on your lecturer and/or course, but generally speaking no your lecturer will not pick on anyone to answer questions. A lecture is just the lecture giving a presentation and talking, student's don't generally speak up. In a seminar however, this is much more like a classroom, where everyone will contribute and may be picked on if the class goes quiet.

There is no seating plan, every lecture people change where they sit, it doesn't matter at all!

There are lots of different lecturers for differet modules, or you may have one lecturer for two modules, and different lecturers for your other modules.

The first two weeks of University for most places are introductory weeks, where you have lectures introducing you into the course, it is a really helpful period where you are just getting settled in.

You can drink in lectures, but people don't really eat, policies are different at different Universities, but because lectures are only for 1-2 hours there is no need to eat really. There is no dresscode, most people wear jeans and a hoodie, but lots of people go in joggers/comfy wear.

You have to be in your lecture for the full time, however if you need to leave (e.g. have a doctor's appointment), nobody will stop you. However, it is polite to let your lecturer know ahead of time, or else they may think you are just being rude.

Good luck!
Lydia :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending