The Student Room Group

Help me pick a career path

I'm a student at a technical high school, and I am having trouble selecting a shop/course. I am from America not the UK, and I'm not sure if they have tech schools but that part doesn't really matter. So my problem is: I don't know wether to select Biotechnology or Information technology as my career area. If I select Biotechnology it'll lead me to a bioengineering job that pays $50k-$120K a year. I enjoy science and biology a lot and I feel like it would be a good job. But there is also the downside of me choosing this career area and only having jobs in the science related field. Also, at my school if you select Biotechnology you have set teachers through your graduating year. So, I would have the same group of 50 kids in my academic classes until I graduate. On the other hand I could pick Information Technology, which would teach me coding languages like Java and Python. It would set me up for an IT or computer science job ranging from $70k-$200k a year. Unlike Biotechnology, I could get an IT job at any company and wouldn't be in just the science field. I also wouldn't be stuck with the same kids for 3 years, I would have classes with people from everywhere in the school. The downside of IT is that it is a mainly male dominated career area. When having my classes in the IT classroom, I would likely be the only girl. I also don't like the idea of being surrounded by a bunch of sweaty oily teenage boys for half of the week. Any time I think "Yes I'll chose Biotechnolgy!" or "Yes I'll chose IT!" I get extremely unsure. I'm not sure which one to pick. Right now I'm leaning towards IT but still don't know. I have until late May to pick but I'm still not sure. Does anyone have opinions on what they would do if they were in my shoes?
Do you know any in-demand jobs today? If you do, you may want to check them out. Of course, you'd do better to pick the one that suits your abilities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending