Is it bad I used someone as a job reference before asking?

Watch
Chick99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I applied for a job a few weeks ago which required me to list references to complete the application. I listed my previous employer however, I mentioned that I preferred my references to only be contacted if I was successful after the interview. I was offered the job so my new employer has requested to contact my references . I emailed my previous employer to check they would be okay providing a reference (I have no doubt they would be since I left on good terms) but received an automated response which said they're out of office until the end of next week. My new employer most likely would have contacted them by the time my previous employer has returned to the office.

I'm a little worried that my previous employer would be a little annoyed that I put him down as reference before he confirmed he was okay with it. Am I overthinking this ?
Adz2042
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Just ask whoever you put down now. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.
Chick99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Adz2042)
Just ask whoever you put down now. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.
I emailed my previous employer to check they would be okay providing a reference (I have no doubt they would be since I left on good terms) but received an automated response which said they're out of office until the end of next week. My new employer most likely would have contacted them by the time my previous employer has returned to the office.
Adz2042
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Chick99)
I emailed my previous employer to check they would be okay providing a reference (I have no doubt they would be since I left on good terms) but received an automated response which said they're out of office until the end of next week. My new employer most likely would have contacted them by the time my previous employer has returned to the office.
then there is nothing to worry about.
the new employer will find that out when they run their checks.

all you have to worry about is absolutely nothing, as you've got a new job to look forward too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads