The Student Room Group

How to convince boyfriend to get covid vaccine?

Hes getting offered it and refusing it. I was upset with him at first, we had an argument and I made him leave the house for a bit then we made up but I didn't talk to him about the vaccine since then. I want to convince him to get it, as we want normality back and the vaccine will help. I don't understand his reasoning, he rants about this covid lasting too long but he breaks the rules and won't take the vaccine. Its antivaxxers and rule breakers who have caused this to go on this long and this is something he won't understand. I cant force him but I just am a bit upset because its only a jab and it will protect vulnerable people

Scroll to see replies

Imo not really worth falling out over.

It's a good thing for lots of people to have the vaccine but take up overall is good and the virus lovers are on the back foot.
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
Imo not really worth falling out over.

It's a good thing for lots of people to have the vaccine but take up overall is good and the virus lovers are on the back foot.

It's just better to convince most people to get it
You can't convince him to get a covid vaccine.
Best not to waste your time or energy discussing the topic with him.
It sounds like he has zero willingness to listen to either your opinion or government guidelines about following pandemic restrictions.

He is an adult who knows that he won't be able to travel to much of europe without proof of vaccination, has made up his mind and probably rarely or never wears a facial covering in public places.
His choice, his life, his body.
In the event that the police catch him habitually flouting mandatory lockdown restrictions, it will be his fine or criminal record too.
Reply 4
Introduce social distancing until he’s vaccinated. His attitude is very annoying in current circumstances
Reply 5
Original post by londonmyst
You can't convince him to get a covid vaccine.
Best not to waste your time or energy discussing the topic with him.
It sounds like he has zero willingness to listen to either your opinion or government guidelines about following pandemic restrictions.

He is an adult who knows that he won't be able to travel to much of europe without proof of vaccination, has made up his mind and probably rarely or never wears a facial covering in public places.
His choice, his life, his body.
In the event that the police catch him habitually flouting mandatory lockdown restrictions, it will be his fine or criminal record too.

I know its upto him but it is selfish not to take the vaccine and what he does with the rules he's just wrecking it for everyone else. Delaying normality

Original post by Zarek
Introduce social distancing until he’s vaccinated. His attitude is very annoying in current circumstances

In the house?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
In the house?

Absolutely and bed
(edited 2 years ago)
I know its upto him but it is selfish not to take the vaccine and what he does with the rules he's just wrecking it for everyone else. Delaying normality.

If he's in the habit of breaching pandemic restrictions by going to indoor parties or any large scale gatherings, best to keep your distance from him in order to safeguard your own health.
I don't agree with you in relation to the covid vaccines.
Reply 8
Original post by Zarek
Absolutely

Sure. Thanks for your advice
Reply 9
Original post by londonmyst
If he's in the habit of breaching pandemic restrictions by going to indoor parties or any large scale gatherings, best to keep your distance from him in order to safeguard your own health.
I don't agree with you in relation to the covid vaccines.

Hes not that bad, he is just car sharing which is against the rules, he's visited friends house with one person but it's still against the rules.

Why don't you agree
Reply 10
Sure. Thanks for your advice

Or at least make the threat
It’s simple, you don’t...don’t understand why people are trying to force this vaccine on others...if you take it you’re protected or whatever so him not having it doesn’t effect you...both can still spread and catch it so makes no difference...I personally won’t have it not because I’m anti vac I just never have vaccines as I have never seen the point and covid is just exaggerated nonsense to me but hasn’t stopped family trying to convince me and pressure me to get it everyday.

He doesn’t want it? respect his decision just like he’s accepted you wanting it and taken it.
It’s simple, you don’t...don’t understand why people are trying to force this vaccine on others...if you take it you’re protected or whatever so him not having it doesn’t effect you...both can still spread and catch it so makes no difference...I personally won’t have it not because I’m anti vac I just never have vaccines as I have never seen the point and covid is just exaggerated nonsense to me but hasn’t stopped family trying to convince me and pressure me to get it everyday.

He doesn’t want it? respect his decision just like he’s accepted you wanting it and taken it.

All them deaths and you call covid exaggerated? People like you disgust me!
All them deaths and you call covid exaggerated? People like you disgust me!

“All them deaths” guessing you’re referring to the governments numbers? maybe you’re referring to one of my family members who died of simply old age but they put covid on her death certificate that we had to spend weeks having to get changed?

Either way just because you simply believe something as you clearly do have the opinion all this is 100% true and real and serious but at the same time should accept others opinions....if you have the vaccine I 100% support that and my vulnerable parents have had it and I’m happy for them but I’m 21 and healthy and just don’t believe i need it but why should someone be forced or “convinced” into taking it? If he doesn’t want it then he doesn’t want it regardless to what you think..what you gonna do break up with him for simply not wanting something injected into him but you do? how’s it effect you or anyone else who’s had it?

People who force opinions on others and basically blackmail people into doing something disgust me so I’d say we’re even.
So from his point of view the risk probably is minimal because unless you have a faulty immune system the under 50's makeup less than 1% of Covid deaths.

What you need to do is focus on the fact it decreases transmission and therefore variant risk.
If he doesn't want it then sadly you just have to accept that, could try talking him into having it but if he still doesn't want it then thats that really.
Hes getting offered it and refusing it. I was upset with him at first, we had an argument and I made him leave the house for a bit then we made up but I didn't talk to him about the vaccine since then. I want to convince him to get it, as we want normality back and the vaccine will help. I don't understand his reasoning, he rants about this covid lasting too long but he breaks the rules and won't take the vaccine. Its antivaxxers and rule breakers who have caused this to go on this long and this is something he won't understand. I cant force him but I just am a bit upset because its only a jab and it will protect vulnerable people

Your stance is appalling I'm afraid. You have no right whatsoever to pressure him to get vaccinated or to cajole him in any way. If I were in his shoes, I'd be seriously thinking about whether I wanted the relationship to continue. Health decisions are personal and you should totally respect his decision to not get vaccinated.

Anti-vaxxers have not remotely made the lockdowns continue, it is the government that has done that.

You should also realise that, thanks to 42% of the UK population now having had Covid and gaining natural immunity going forward, the UK will now imminently reach herd immunity which makes the country safer for all.

Covid herd immunity could be reached 'within days' in the UK

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19220824.covid-herd-immunity-reached-within-days-uk/

"Prof Karl Friston, of UCL, told The Telegraph: "The herd immunity estimates surprised me. However, they are unremarkable when one considers that over 50 per cent of adults have been vaccinated, around 42 per cent of people have now been exposed to the virus and about 10 per cent have pre-existing immunity."

Vaccination is not going to restore normality because vaccination is not 100% effective. At least 1 in every 20 people vaccinated will not be protected well by the vaccines and there are already many thousands of "Breakthrough" cases reported where FULLY VACCINATED people have still gotten Covid and gotten symptoms and thus can spread the virus to others.

Normality will only come from us achieving herd immunity and that will only be achieved by the combination of the naturally immune and the vaccinated.

I would encourage you to rethink your position TBH. Make your own risk assessment and health decision and leave others to make theirs.
You don't.

Leave him be.
Someone has their own opinion? You should call the police immediately.
Social distancing from in your own house is unlikely to prevent him transmitting the virus to you, unless taken to such an exteme that it would probably kill off your relationship.

His body, his choice.

Latest