The Student Room Group

Shall I do a degree in nursing???

I am 20 years old and currently not in education but thinking of going to uni in september. I was thinking of doing a social science but I’ve been thinking recently i want to do something more vocational like nursing. I did health and social care at college and got D*D*D so I have the grades to do a nursing degree.

I’m really interested in a job in health care as I’m a caring person and love working with people. I also have a keen interest in anatomy and physiology, as well as psychology and sociology.

I have a few concerns about giving blood tests and putting cannulas in as I am quite squeamish but is that something I would get used to?

If anyone has any advice for me or can tell me about their nursing degree/ experience that would be very helpful! Thanks
Original post by rosepoppyflower
I am 20 years old and currently not in education but thinking of going to uni in september. I was thinking of doing a social science but I’ve been thinking recently i want to do something more vocational like nursing. I did health and social care at college and got D*D*D so I have the grades to do a nursing degree.

I’m really interested in a job in health care as I’m a caring person and love working with people. I also have a keen interest in anatomy and physiology, as well as psychology and sociology.

I have a few concerns about giving blood tests and putting cannulas in as I am quite squeamish but is that something I would get used to?

If anyone has any advice for me or can tell me about their nursing degree/ experience that would be very helpful! Thanks

Hi
If you are planning to get into university for nursing this year then you better get applying for it and hopefully not to late for it either as majority of application for this been done by now with offers beginning to get put out to potential students.

So your health & social care course you done at college should at least get you into university depending which one you want to go to.

If you are already a caring & loving person and like to work with people then you are half way there as that's big part of the job.

Don't panic over doing blood tests or cannunals as you'll get taught this and you'll get to do it in your own time & pace but you looking for a good vein and then things should go to plan with doing those.
You'll soon get over being screamish once you did it few times.
I'm doing IV drips etc all the time in my area of nursing as I'm a qualified midwife and I find the job worthwhile.

Will say that every placement is completely different as no two are the same, plus you'll get good & bad ones throughout your student days but don't let it put you down ok.

So go and get yourself on a nursing course as soon as you can okay and enjoy your journey as a nurse.

@Emily_B any further advise from yourself on this !!!!
Reply 2
Original post by rosepoppyflower

I'm a registered nurse and used to be really squeamish. I now work on a vascular surgery ward where there's a lot of surgical procedures, nasty foot ulcers, and bodily fluids involved and am therefore now fine with all of it (although vomit is the only one I struggle with!)
Don't worry about cannulas etc, you'll learn about that and how to deal with it :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending