GCSE History Crime and Punishment

Watch this thread
username5458796
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How do I learn the content on my own and then revise it?
Cheesecake04
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Flashcards —> Do this for all of the dates of the major events !!!

You can then use them as normal flashcards , put the events in order and structure and exam question by picking a few of them. If you want these long term and to be done quickly use quizlet as it’s helpful and you can do a few each day before classes and when bored but have no revision resources with you.

Exam questions —> This clearly shows the gaps in your knowledge which you can then focus on.

Quizzes—> All quizzes are extremely helpful in recapping information and seeing what information you are missing.
username5458796
Rep:
(Original post by Cheesecake04)
Flashcards —> Do this for all of the dates of the major events !!!

You can then use them as normal flashcards , put the events in order and structure and exam question by picking a few of them. If you want these long term and to be done quickly use quizlet as it’s helpful and you can do a few each day before classes and when bored but have no revision resources with you.

Exam questions —> This clearly shows the gaps in your knowledge which you can then focus on.

Quizzes—> All quizzes are extremely helpful in recapping information and seeing what information you are missing.
thank you sm
flashcards are so good and I learn so much from them but they are so time consuming to make
daan.m
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by umchileanyways)
thank you sm
flashcards are so good and I learn so much from them but they are so time consuming to make
Only flashcard the things you want to learn.
I.e. Don't feel obliged to flashcard information because it's in the textbook — there's often a lot of unnecessary detail.
Also don't feel obliged to flashcard something despite already knowing it. The aim is to be prepared with the fewest amount of flashcards, otherwise they'll take ages to make and commit to memory.
username5458796
Rep:
(Original post by daan.m)
Only flashcard the things you want to learn.
I.e. Don't feel obliged to flashcard information because it's in the textbook — there's often a lot of unnecessary detail.
Also don't feel obliged to flashcard something despite already knowing it. The aim is to be prepared with the fewest amount of flashcards, otherwise they'll take ages to make and commit to memory.
we just finished the topic in school but I literally have to teach myself because I have a bad teacher, missed out so much cos of lockdown and self iso
daan.m
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
we just finished the topic in school but I literally have to teach myself because I have a bad teacher, missed out so much cos of lockdown and self iso
Ahhh a similar thing happened to me (I had a bad class so wasn't able to learn much) in GCSE History — although I can't imagine having to learn it all in lockdown too.

I also found mind maps to be v useful — use flashcards for learning definitions, dates, and bullet point lists (e.g. 5 reasons why attitudes to imprisonment changed from punishment to rehabilitation); use mind maps for learning topics (using active recall) e.g. 'The formation of the Met police'.

And obvs lots of ppqs + read the examiner's reports!

Good luck!
Last edited by daan.m; 1 year ago
Cheesecake04
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
thank you sm
I do agree but they’re worth it in the end and that tends to be why I make a few each day to spread it out a bit more and quizlet is easy as you can do it when you get a spare minute and a lot of other people have uploaded ones you can edit and save to use constantly !
username5458796
Rep:
(Original post by daan.m)
Ahhh a similar thing happened to me (I had a bad class so wasn't able to learn much) in GCSE History — although I can't imagine having to learn it all in lockdown too.

I also found mind maps to be v useful — use flashcards for learning definitions, dates, and bullet point lists (e.g. 5 reasons why attitudes to imprisonment changed from punishment to rehabilitation); use mind maps for learning topics (using active recall) e.g. 'The formation of the Met police'.

And obvs lots of ppqs + read the examiner's reports!

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice
Do you have any resources
daan.m
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for the advice
Do you have any resources
Honestly I only stuck to my school notes, my exam board textbook (so WJEC for me) and occasionally BBC bitesize for History GCSE.
They were three good resources that sufficed, so there was no point in me looking for other resources that would've taken extra time.
Other resources? Probably YouTube is good, and Wikipedia. But be careful as they will include things you don't need to know.

If your school notes are poor, I'd highly recommend using the exam board's textbook — as it will be tailored towards the exam/test you'll sit. Or buy a CGP book, if there's one available for your exam board — they're always really useful and succinct.

If available for your exam board, also use the teacher's guide/specification bullet points (e.g. see here for WJEC A-Level Biology: https://www.wjec.co.uk/media/rqbeuqo...hers_guide.pdf ) to refine what you need to learn so you don't waste time (the textbooks and school notes will often contain unnecessary content) — although do be wary of omitting something you may actually be tested on!!
OOrumwense02
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
i swear by YouTube. like it's literally all my teacher used to teach us. the channel we used for crime and punishem is called- 'Mr Swift History'

he talks through the topics by creating mind maps and you can use his video to create it own mind maps and then yearn off that he also goes through Weimar and Nazi Germany as well as how to answer exam questions (this is only done for crime and punishment).

his videos are no more than 10 or 11 minutes
username5458796
Rep:
omg thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.71%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.14%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (19)
16.96%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (27)
24.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.54%

Watched Threads