U33B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am 28 years old, and my dream has always been to become a doctor however I don`t know ​whether it`s worth pursuing the dream at this age. Some people say it is too late because you should have a career plan from 18-19 years of age. Others have said "well you are eventually going to grow old regardless of what you do, so you might as well make a career out of it". I`ve seen some videos and articles where people have discussed their journey as a mature doctor and what challenges they faced. I saw a video of a doctor who was 47 and he started his medical degree at 35 or 37. I heard of a doctor who started medical degree at 39. However, it all comes down to the same old question, are you not old? Isn`t that age too old to start a career? I don`t know, what is your take on this, perhaps you might know someone who is quite old and starting medicine, they might be your colleagues or class fellows. If you know someone, then please feel free to comment. What is your opinion on this matter, is it too late to pursue your dream after 30 years of age or is it ok? Any tips, advice will be good, also if you are 30+ and studying, please share your experience with us, I would love to know your experience and what advice you can give me. Thanks
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s definitely possible. However I think it’s more a dream worth pursuing if you have already got good grades at a level and maybe done another degree and now just unsatisfactied with your current career.

It’s more of a pipe dream if you haven’t got the grades already and have to go back to redo those as it’s so competitive. It’s hard enough to get in for straight a students.

So only you know if it’s a realistic dream to pursue.
Lalalalala221
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'ld say do it because i think you may regret it if you dont
LinaHearts
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
oldest person on my med course is 32. If you want it go for it
Medikj
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know some people who had a degree in something health related and are currently studying medicine as first years at 24/25, there may be older people but I’m not sure. I’m not sure why they chose to change their career path and I understand this comment would have been more helpful if I could actually tell you😅. If I can say something I understand it may not always be about “do what makes you happy” as there are practical implications in the decisions we make, but I also believe that is the best philosophy to live by if Medicine is what you like (ensure that is truly what you want to do) and the potential negative implications of you studying it are balanced out by the positive ones. If I may ask, I did not understand what you’re worried about specifically?
lyonbabe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You know there are multiple threads on this forum asking this exact question? Use the search bar??
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s never too late to follow ur dreams
U33B
Rep:
?
(Original post by Medikj)
I know some people who had a degree in something health related and are currently studying medicine as first years at 24/25, there may be older people but I’m not sure. I’m not sure why they chose to change their career path and I understand this comment would have been more helpful if I could actually tell you😅. If I can say something I understand it may not always be about “do what makes you happy” as there are practical implications in the decisions we make, but I also believe that is the best philosophy to live by if Medicine is what you like (ensure that is truly what you want to do) and the potential negative implications of you studying it are balanced out by the positive ones. If I may ask, I did not understand what you’re worried about specifically?
Its just that people are going to judge you etc, saying what are you still doing at university at that age?. How will the friends and family react? I come from an Asian family and trust me there's always this comparison and competition. I do want to do it its just that you feel yourself that you`re quite old, you know what I mean, you have that feeling. I just want to do it looool.
Last edited by U33B; 1 week ago
U33B
Rep:
?
(Original post by lyonbabe)
You know there are multiple threads on this forum asking this exact question? Use the search bar??
You know there are other forums where you can go and comment on. Gosh, you must be fun at parties, fun killer.
Lluvia Morado
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well, if you're in the UK, retirement age is 65 for women and I think 67 for men currently? So if you consider that, you are still going to be working age for 30+ years after graduating. That's longer than you've been alive.

In short, no, I do not believe it is too late, or too old at all. I mean you are never really too old to learn something new, but it probably wouldn't make much sense to retrain and do a degree in your 50s or 60s only to retire a few years later. But when you will be working for another 30 years it makes sense to be doing a job you actually enjoy.

I'm in my mid 30s and am just finishing 1st year of a 3 year degree (4 if I decide to do a Masters).
Last edited by Lluvia Morado; 1 week ago
U33B
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lluvia Morado)
Well, if you're in the UK, retirement age is 65 for women and I think 67 for men currently? So if you consider that, you are still going to be working age for 30+ years after graduating. That's longer than you've been alive.

In short, no, I do not believe it is too late, or too old at all. I mean you are never really too old to learn something new, but it probably wouldn't make much sense to retrain and do a degree in your 50s or 60s only to retire a few years later. But when you will be working for another 30 years it makes sense to be doing a job you actually enjoy.

I'm in my mid 30s and am just finishing 1st year of a 3 year degree (4 if I decide to do a Masters).
Thanks for the comment, but sometimes I have this feeling that how will I fit in with other younger people, what will my family members say? How will I cope with the pressure of medicine course, can I get in even? All these what If`s creates doubts and you don`t know whether to believe them or not.
Lluvia Morado
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A lot of people at Uni are in their 20s. Some due to gap years, or deciding to change career or for any number of other reasons. I doubt a lot of people would even notice an age difference between you and most other students.
xxx0xxxo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by U33B)
I am 28 years old, and my dream has always been to become a doctor however I don`t know whether it`s worth pursuing the dream at this age. Some people say it is too late because you should have a career plan from 18-19 years of age. Others have said "well you are eventually going to grow old regardless of what you do, so you might as well make a career out of it". I`ve seen some videos and articles where people have discussed their journey as a mature doctor and what challenges they faced. I saw a video of a doctor who was 47 and he started his medical degree at 35 or 37. I heard of a doctor who started medical degree at 39. However, it all comes down to the same old question, are you not old? Isn`t that age too old to start a career? I don`t know, what is your take on this, perhaps you might know someone who is quite old and starting medicine, they might be your colleagues or class fellows. If you know someone, then please feel free to comment. What is your opinion on this matter, is it too late to pursue your dream after 30 years of age or is it ok? Any tips, advice will be good, also if you are 30+ and studying, please share your experience with us, I would love to know your experience and what advice you can give me. Thanks
Dead is too old
xxx0xxxo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by U33B)
I am 28 years old, and my dream has always been to become a doctor however I don`t know whether it`s worth pursuing the dream at this age. Some people say it is too late because you should have a career plan from 18-19 years of age. Others have said "well you are eventually going to grow old regardless of what you do, so you might as well make a career out of it". I`ve seen some videos and articles where people have discussed their journey as a mature doctor and what challenges they faced. I saw a video of a doctor who was 47 and he started his medical degree at 35 or 37. I heard of a doctor who started medical degree at 39. However, it all comes down to the same old question, are you not old? Isn`t that age too old to start a career? I don`t know, what is your take on this, perhaps you might know someone who is quite old and starting medicine, they might be your colleagues or class fellows. If you know someone, then please feel free to comment. What is your opinion on this matter, is it too late to pursue your dream after 30 years of age or is it ok? Any tips, advice will be good, also if you are 30+ and studying, please share your experience with us, I would love to know your experience and what advice you can give me. Thanks
For things like medicine i do not think you're too old at all. Other vocational professions such as law or architecture (mine), older students are not rare, i had several older students doing undergrad architecture. They are gruelling professions especially medicine and there are advantages to being older, you grasp things more, the industry transition will be easier as you have more life experience etc. If you are under 40 by the time you finish all your training that's plenty of time, most doctors have significant experience.

It's not like you're 28 going to learn how to be a barista where your superiors could be sixth form students. if that makes sense
Turning_A_Corner
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’ve got an offer for medicine and I’m older than you. Yes I have the same concerns as you but they ultimately matter less than what I want, which is to be a doctor.
You find ways of coping. Of managing. And you find your people on these courses. You will not be the only mature student and your maturity is something that patients tend to respond well to in my experience in another career. It’ll be worth it if you want it.
lyonbabe
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by U33B)
You know there are other forums where you can go and comment on. Gosh, you must be fun at parties, fun killer.
Yeah I do, and yeah I am. But I happen to be commenting on the forum where people ask this question at least 5 times a day 🙄
John Bull
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
**** what other people think. Do what you want to do
U33B
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone for the nice and generous comments. I guess reading from the comments it seems age doesn`t really matter, it is the skills, motivation, and determination. But trust me, there's so much competition and comparison. I know you should forget about it, but sometimes its right in your face. Believe me I am a firm believer of hard work, but sometimes you have these doubts and concerns. I guess if you well and truly like it, you should pursue it.
Medikj
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by U33B)
Its just that people are going to judge you etc, saying what are you still doing at university at that age?. How will the friends and family react? I come from an Asian family and trust me there's always this comparison and competition. I do want to do it its just that you feel yourself that you`re quite old, you know what I mean, you have that feeling. I just want to do it looool.
Sorry for the late reply. I get it, if it helps, while i get that some people may be judgmental and stuff, know that “smart” people who are good with themselves (i guess the people you want to actually surround yourself with) will understand where you are coming from and not be judgemental, on the contrary, I guess they would appreciate how you did not settle for doing something you’re not sure you enjoy to pursue a career you actually do enjoy!
HellomynameisNev
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes you should do it. Go in with your eyes wide open, know what its going to be like (hard work) and don't worry about your age. I'm 48 and I'm not even the oldest person on my course (Radiotherapy and Oncology).

Do you have a partner? How do they feel about this? Helps a lot if they are supportive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (70)
73.68%
No (25)
26.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise