The Student Room Group

How old is too old?

Scroll to see replies

150 years old is definitely not the age for a degree, but you are so young! Follow your dreams
Original post by U33B
I am 28 years old, and my dream has always been to become a doctor however I don`t know whether it`s worth pursuing the dream at this age. Some people say it is too late because you should have a career plan from 18-19 years of age. Others have said "well you are eventually going to grow old regardless of what you do, so you might as well make a career out of it". I`ve seen some videos and articles where people have discussed their journey as a mature doctor and what challenges they faced. I saw a video of a doctor who was 47 and he started his medical degree at 35 or 37. I heard of a doctor who started medical degree at 39. However, it all comes down to the same old question, are you not old? Isn`t that age too old to start a career? I don`t know, what is your take on this, perhaps you might know someone who is quite old and starting medicine, they might be your colleagues or class fellows. If you know someone, then please feel free to comment. What is your opinion on this matter, is it too late to pursue your dream after 30 years of age or is it ok? Any tips, advice will be good, also if you are 30+ and studying, please share your experience with us, I would love to know your experience and what advice you can give me. Thanks

I'm 28 also and starting from scratch I literally have no grades however I've done research into '' age '' and tbh screw age just focus on getting those GCSEs or A levels is a priority - I'm doing 6 GCSEs come September in an adult GCSE programme @ Leicester college in subjects, maths, English, psychology, biology, chemistry, sociology and to top it off I live in Oxford so I will be travelling and staying in a hotel 2 nights a week.
not to mention I'm 23 stone which I'll be dieting pretty hard and be in the gym around 12 hours per week.
Even further more I have to find some possible work 15 - 20 hours per week, I have a job but cause of covid unsure when nightclubs will open so yeah it's going to be exhausting for me, however I've had enough of doing '' nothing '' over the years of my life so don't waste time thinking about are you too old do something about it NOW otherwise it will be too late.
For medicine? No you need to meet the medical schools GCSE requirements unless you have a degree for the school I'd like to go in the future (Queen mary Malta) and I don't hold a degree so I have to meet the criteria.

GCSE Grades Requirements
All eligible applicants must have Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry, English Language, and Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics or Statistics) at GCSE level, at grades AAABBB (777666 for GSCEs taken from 2015) or above, in any order. The Science Double Award may substitute all sciences at GCSE.

GCSE grades are not required for applicants who are applying with a degree.

Also you need GCSE science to progress to A level science as if you can't do level 2 GCSE, you will struggle with A level / level 3.
Personally, I'd suggest too old is about 45. At that age, you'll be at least 55 by the time you're not longer a trainee (if you become a GP), or at least 58 if you do a hospital specialty. Getting only 7-10 years out of you as a full consultant... I mean, you'd have to be absolutely amazing at your job to provide the same investment return as someone in their 20s.

28 though - you're older sure but you're also bringing life experience to the table which is definitely a good thing. The main question for me would be whether I could stand to learn alongside a bunch of immature 18 year olds for 5 years (assuming its undergrad entry)!
Original post by nexttime
Personally, I'd suggest too old is about 45. At that age, you'll be at least 55 by the time you're not longer a trainee (if you become a GP), or at least 58 if you do a hospital specialty. Getting only 7-10 years out of you as a full consultant... I mean, you'd have to be absolutely amazing at your job to provide the same investment return as someone in their 20s.

28 though - you're older sure but you're also bringing life experience to the table which is definitely a good thing. The main question for me would be whether I could stand to learn alongside a bunch of immature 18 year olds for 5 years (assuming its undergrad entry)!

I couldn't agree anymore with this, I'm 28 also and wanting to follow the same path as him but not sure if you read previous responses however when you say about learning alongside immature 18 year olds I get that it's not for everyone however my future chosen number 1 medical school would be Malta as its so much more peaceful, slightly less competition in terms of grades & UCAT although you have to fund it yourself and it isn't cheap plus living costs.

I think I'd find it way less stressful if I was in a peaceful country and a chilled out environment and enjoying the sunshine rather than stroppy teenager tantrum kids in University in the wet and cold weather such as the UK.

should Malta be off the cards I'd just grit my teeth and put myself in the mix and study alongside the younger students in the UK as ultimately I'm there to study to become a doctor. I'm used to stroppy and immature teenagers as I've worked security in nightclubs for many years so my experience will just hopefully be able to get on with my studies :biggrin:
Original post by themagics1992
...as I've worked security in nightclubs for many years so my experience will just hopefully be able to get on with my studies :biggrin:

Phaha you'll sort them out :laugh:

To be fair, in my experience most do calm down after a couple years living away from parents. Its just the 'laaadds lets get blind drunkk agaiiinnn bantaaar...' guys that were super annoying. Yeah could be quite different in Malta.
I'm 28 also and starting from scratch I literally have no grades however I've done research into '' age '' and tbh screw age just focus on getting those GCSEs or A levels is a priority - I'm doing 6 GCSEs come September in an adult GCSE programme @ Leicester college in subjects, maths, English, psychology, biology, chemistry, sociology and to top it off I live in Oxford so I will be travelling and staying in a hotel 2 nights a week.
not to mention I'm 23 stone which I'll be dieting pretty hard and be in the gym around 12 hours per week.
Even further more I have to find some possible work 15 - 20 hours per week, I have a job but cause of covid unsure when nightclubs will open so yeah it's going to be exhausting for me, however I've had enough of doing '' nothing '' over the years of my life so don't waste time thinking about are you too old do something about it NOW otherwise it will be too late.

I really would reconsider this. Not doing GCSEs per se, just the way you're going about this seems like a recipe for a burnout or a disaster. I've done commuting for study and I would not recommend it for any circumstance unless the prize was something elite like a medical or other accredited degree. For GCSEs, the payout is not worth the disruption to your life that this will cost you. You can easily do GCSEs through other routes, or you can move to Leicester. I just don't see why you would compromise your life for a level 2 course when you're likely going to have to move eventually for university anyway. And throwing yourself into a rigorous fitness/weightloss regime is going to create two competing interests. You're trying to do everything but it's not necessary. Everything in moderation. It would be more than reasonable to set yourself a fitness or weight loss goal that was achievable over two or three years than to drive yourself unnecessarily to achieve it in one. Sustainability is more important than anything when you're studying and I do speak from experience.

Also, just a word on the way you're speaking about 18 year olds. Like it or not, 18/19 year olds will form the majority of new starters at whatever medical school you end up in. You need to learn a little respect for them. The people who get into medicine tend to have developed a mature attitude to studying and to life that you may find you yourself lack even at your stage in life. I started another healthcare course later in life and I frequently found myself in awe at the level of maturity on display from people I myself might have been teaching just a short time ago. Healthcare courses attract and retain a more mature type than the majority of courses. I certainly wasn't capable of their level of reasoning at their age and, let's be honest, neither were you probably given whatever you were doing at their stage, which sure as anything wasn't grappling with incredibly tough A level content and balancing a life and work experience alongside it. These people are more than your intellectual equal and they very quickly acquire life experience as part of their degree and overall university experience and it will take you very much by surprise. Yes, being an older student has some advantages but it's not an edge you hold onto for long. You'll also find yourself learning from people who graduated a full 12 years or more before you so you need to find a way of living and working alongside people younger than you which isn't just about showing how unimpressed you are by them just because you bounced a few people out of a nightclub for having a less than convincing fake ID.
Original post by Turning_A_Corner
I really would reconsider this. Not doing GCSEs per se, just the way you're going about this seems like a recipe for a burnout or a disaster. I've done commuting for study and I would not recommend it for any circumstance unless the prize was something elite like a medical or other accredited degree. For GCSEs, the payout is not worth the disruption to your life that this will cost you. You can easily do GCSEs through other routes, or you can move to Leicester. I just don't see why you would compromise your life for a level 2 course when you're likely going to have to move eventually for university anyway. And throwing yourself into a rigorous fitness/weightloss regime is going to create two competing interests. You're trying to do everything but it's not necessary. Everything in moderation. It would be more than reasonable to set yourself a fitness or weight loss goal that was achievable over two or three years than to drive yourself unnecessarily to achieve it in one. Sustainability is more important than anything when you're studying and I do speak from experience.

Also, just a word on the way you're speaking about 18 year olds. Like it or not, 18/19 year olds will form the majority of new starters at whatever medical school you end up in. You need to learn a little respect for them. The people who get into medicine tend to have developed a mature attitude to studying and to life that you may find you yourself lack even at your stage in life. I started another healthcare course later in life and I frequently found myself in awe at the level of maturity on display from people I myself might have been teaching just a short time ago. Healthcare courses attract and retain a more mature type than the majority of courses. I certainly wasn't capable of their level of reasoning at their age and, let's be honest, neither were you probably given whatever you were doing at their stage, which sure as anything wasn't grappling with incredibly tough A level content and balancing a life and work experience alongside it. These people are more than your intellectual equal and they very quickly acquire life experience as part of their degree and overall university experience and it will take you very much by surprise. Yes, being an older student has some advantages but it's not an edge you hold onto for long. You'll also find yourself learning from people who graduated a full 12 years or more before you so you need to find a way of living and working alongside people younger than you which isn't just about showing how unimpressed you are by them just because you bounced a few people out of a nightclub for having a less than convincing fake ID.

End of the day I hear what you are saying however...

I've had many years of sitting on my ass due to injury, illness, feeling sorry for myself, and I'm tired of people saying '' you can't do this or that '' or being controlled.

I get what you're saying about the GCSEs not being worth It I'd slightly agree it isn't, however there's a few reasons as to why I want to.
1) I was a bullied victim at school I still feel robbed of my education still at the age of 28 this GCSE barrier does play on my mind sometimes along with ''age''.
2) No medical school will accept your application without them (unless you hold a degree in some subjects and even then grad medicine is more competitive) and longer and more costly and even then you still may need A level at A-B.
3) Being out of education for a fair few years and studying the ''basics'' I.e level 2 will help me progress into a level 3 and then eventually medical school as there is no point studying higher when you don't know the easier stuff.

I'll be doing it regardless.
Reply 28
Definitely too old.
Reply 29
End of the day I hear what you are saying however...

I've had many years of sitting on my ass due to injury, illness, feeling sorry for myself, and I'm tired of people saying '' you can't do this or that '' or being controlled.

I get what you're saying about the GCSEs not being worth It I'd slightly agree it isn't, however there's a few reasons as to why I want to.
1) I was a bullied victim at school I still feel robbed of my education still at the age of 28 this GCSE barrier does play on my mind sometimes along with ''age''.
2) No medical school will accept your application without them (unless you hold a degree in some subjects and even then grad medicine is more competitive) and longer and more costly and even then you still may need A level at A-B.
3) Being out of education for a fair few years and studying the ''basics'' I.e level 2 will help me progress into a level 3 and then eventually medical school as there is no point studying higher when you don't know the easier stuff.

I'll be doing it regardless.

Is it possible to do Access course without doing your GCSEs ?
Also could u work on fitness first then education after as fitness is more important and they both may be quite taxing.
Original post by 161BMW
Is it possible to do Access course without doing your GCSEs ?
Also could u work on fitness first then education after as fitness is more important and they both may be quite taxing.

I want to keep busy and as for the access course I'm not sure as of yet until I get the GCSE grades first to know whether I go for A levels or access but I know A levels open up more options.

Also the course in Malta I want to go in future doesn't accept the access to HE and I'd like to keep my options open for the future so having the A levels would be better yes 1 year longer and most likely more harder however it is what it is.

The only other route I'd be able to go to Malta is doing a degree in UK then apply to Malta doing undergrad medicine there and applying with my Degree (2:1 minimum) and no further GCSE/A level requirements should my degree in the UK have sufficient bio/chem and that's more costly, time consuming and not even gauranteed that I'd get in so it's a no brainer for me to do A levels tbh however still undecided.

All I know as of now is to focus on GCSE and my fitness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending