Extra Curricular/A Level Balance? Does imperial care about 4th A Level?

Watch
The Torrent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im doing Maths, Physics Chemistry and Further Maths and have gained sudden aspirations to go to imperial for an electronic Engineering degree.

Im already doing a lot of extra curricular, however im wondering how important this stuff actually is or if its more important for me to focus on A Level results themselves? Such as should i apply to be a prefect? I believe it would take up a lot of time and im not sure how much it would matter, as i say im already doing a lot of extra curricular so its not like i have nothing to speak about on my application.

Moreover, im doing 4 A Levels, however i cant see a 4 a level offer for this course.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...ineering-meng/

Does this mean they do not care about the 4th?

Thanks.
wizkid44
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey!
Imperial similar to Oxbridge place more emphasis on super curricular as opposed to extra curricular so in your personal statement you’d write more about things you’ve done to explore engineering (lectures, courses ect). While a prefect would be good to add in the short extra curricular section, if you feel it’ll take up a large chunk of your time, I would say avoid it.
Definitely focus on your grades! You want to try and get the best predicted grades you can. And yes, they don’t care about the fourth, however s lot of students will be doing four a levels due to further maths
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Torrent)
No UK University wants 4 A levels. They will only ever look at your top 3 grades.

And by taking 4, you risk getting lower grades across all subjects because of the increased work/time/headspace needed.
Remember, AAA will always look better than ABBB. Don't do 4.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And btw, 'being a Prefect/Head Boy/Milk Monitor' is all a bit pointless for UCAS applications as most Unis just ignore it.

They are far more interested in 'I want to study this subject at University because...', and evidence of your academic interests beyond the A level syllabus. Do some regular extra reading (https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....uggestions.pdf) and forget about 'leadership positions' - that really isnt going to help you get a Uni place.
The Torrent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
No UK University wants 4 A levels. They will only ever look at your top 3 grades.

And by taking 4, you risk getting lower grades across all subjects because of the increased work/time/headspace needed.
Remember, AAA will always look better than ABBB. Don't do 4.
I'm a year into further maths now and not finding it hard. I probably want to go imperial for engineering. You think I should drop it?
JustSomeGuy:/
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm a year into further maths now and not finding it hard. I probably want to go imperial for engineering. You think I should drop it?
I wouldn't say you should drop it if you're confident where you're at. When it comes down to it, most people who are applying to big unis like imperial are also doing 4 A-levels and doing further maths as your 4th is going to be really helpful in your course. It just makes your offer more likely since you display that you can handle the heavier workload. If you were doing 4 A-levels in any other context, I'd be against it but doing 3 A-levels + further maths is usually quite good, especially if you can handle the workload and especially for courses like engineering where all 4 A-levels are actually relevant. On top of that, you are most likely going to get a 3 A-level offer from imperial in the first place, so your 4th a level won't even matter if you're worried about one in particular. Good luck, work hard !
EnglishNOOb101
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm doing bio, chem, maths, and further maths right now, but I'm still struggling to balance my time. I'm getting closer to mocks and I feel so overwhelmed. Any advice? Should I drop it?
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by EnglishNOOb101)
I'm doing bio, chem, maths, and further maths right now, but I'm still struggling to balance my time. I'm getting closer to mocks and I feel so overwhelmed. Any advice? Should I drop it?
What are your current grades for each subject and what order would you give your subjects personally from easiest to hardest?
EnglishNOOb101
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not sure how I pulled it off but A* in Chem, A in Maths and Bio. We haven't started further maths yet.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not sure how I pulled it off but A* in Chem, A in Maths and Bio. We haven't started further maths yet.
Are you only doing Further Maths AS?
EnglishNOOb101
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nope, doing the whole a level
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nope, doing the whole a level
So you're doing the entire A-level in 1 year? Or by not started yet do you mean not started exams?
Last edited by JustSomeGuy:/; 4 weeks ago
EnglishNOOb101
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We do all of further maths in year 13
EnglishNOOb101
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So currently we are finishing A2 maths and will have mocks on the whole Maths A level, but after that, we start AS and A2 further maths content
tej3141
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
im doing FM now. if you think normal maths is hard then i would say just leave FM but if you think it is easy or are willing to put in work id say take it. though its a bit different from normal maths

tej3141
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Im doing Maths, Physics Chemistry and Further Maths and have gained sudden aspirations to go to imperial for an electronic Engineering degree.

Im already doing a lot of extra curricular, however im wondering how important this stuff actually is or if its more important for me to focus on A Level results themselves? Such as should i apply to be a prefect? I believe it would take up a lot of time and im not sure how much it would matter, as i say im already doing a lot of extra curricular so its not like i have nothing to speak about on my application.

Moreover, im doing 4 A Levels, however i cant see a 4 a level offer for this course.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...ineering-meng/

Thanks.
im in pretty much the same place as you. what super curriculars have you done?
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So currently we are finishing A2 maths and will have mocks on the whole Maths A level, but after that, we start AS and A2 further maths content
Oh I see I forgot some schools do it like that. If you were drop it that would mean you're doing 2 A-levels right? If you're struggling to keep up and think you need to drop FM if you are to stay consistent with how well you're doing with bio and chem then I'd drop it or ask if you can just do AS further maths since the AS is actually alright.

Also, what universities and courses are you thinking about? In some circumstances further maths/4 A-levels would be irrelevant and you'd be better off forgetting about it altogether and sticking to 3.
EnglishNOOb101
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you! I would still be doing 3 A-levels and I'm planning on doing medicine. I know I don't need 4 A-Levels but I am confused because I have already come so far, but then again I have been struggling
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you! I would still be doing 3 A-levels and I'm planning on doing medicine. I know I don't need 4 A-Levels but I am confused because I have already come so far, but then again I have been struggling
You don't need 4. The 3 you have are perfect, especially for medicine. Just focus on doing well on your UCAT!
EnglishNOOb101
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JustSomeGuy:/)
You don't need 4. The 3 you have are perfect, especially for medicine. Just focus on doing well on your UCAT
Thank you for your help!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (20)
30.77%
No (45)
69.23%

Watched Threads