Vaccines

Watch this thread
ProfessorTs
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Are the Covid-19 vaccines effective?
sy!¡
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
yes? i mean if they weren’t effective then we wouldn’t be using them
Faisalthe12th
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
had my shot, got in contact with an infected person on purpose and didn't become ill. safe to say they work.
PilgrimOfTruth
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ProfessorTs)
Are the Covid-19 vaccines effective?
They are at best 95% effective but some are much less effective, some I think only 75% effective. Even at 95% effectiveness that means 1 in every 20 people vaccinated will not have good protection. Indeed there are now already many thousands of "Breakthrough" cases of Covid reported which are cases where FULLY VACCINATED people have become Covid-positive, have got Covid and got symptoms meaning they can then spread the virus to others.

Vaccines might help reduce transmission but they don't prevent it.

Vaccines are not yet tested for long term safety. The vaccine trials are still happening despite them being rolled-out everywhere. Anyone who gets the jabs therefore is voluntarily participating in a huge vaccine trial. The FDA calls the vaccines "Investigational vaccines" and iterates that they have NO approval. All they have is Emergency Usage Authorisation and they have been granted that because we are in a pandemic situation. You are being given the choice of taking an un-fully-tested unapproved vaccine or taking the risks with Covid. For most the risks of Covid are extremely minimal but for those in the "at risk" vulnerable demographic the risks are substantial and vaccination is the safest route for those people.

For confirmation of the above here is the actual Pfizer submission to the FDA requesting Emergency Usage Authorisation.

https://www.fda.gov/media/144245/download

Some of the things it states include:

Page 6 - Executive Summary

"On November 20, 2020, Pfizer and BioNTech (the Sponsor) submitted an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) request to FDA for an investigational COVID-19 vaccine (BNT162b2)"

Page 9 - Section 2.3

"In the event an EUA is issued for this product, it would still be considered unapproved and it would be under further investigation (under an Investigational New Drug Application) until it is licensed under a Biologics License Application (BLA).

Licensure of a COVID-19 vaccine will be based on review of additional manufacturing, efficacy, and safety data, providing greater assurance of the comparability of licensed product to product tested in the clinical trials, greater assurance of safety based on larger numbers of vaccine recipients who have been followed for a longer period of time, and additional information about efficacy that addresses, among other questions, the potential for waning of protection over time. "

Page 47

"Therefore, available data are insufficient to make conclusions about benefit in individuals with prior SARS-CoV-2 infection."

i.e. there's no justification for vaxxing people who have already had Covid and are already naturally immune. There's no benefit in doing so.

Page 47

"Data are limited to assess the effect of the vaccine against asymptomatic infection"

i.e. Despite being vaxxed you could still get asymptomatic/mild Covid

Page 47

"Additional evaluations will be needed to assess the effect of the vaccine in preventing long-term effects of COVID-19, including data from clinical trials and from the vaccine’s use post-authorization."

i.e. No evidence at the moment that the vaccines prevent "Long-Covid"

Page 49

"A numerically greater number of appendicitis cases occurred in the vaccine group but occurred no more frequently than expected in the given age groups and do not raise a clear concern at this time for a causal relationship to study vaccination. Although the safety database revealed an imbalance of cases of Bell’s palsy (4 in the vaccine group and none in the placebo group), causal relationship is less certain because the number of cases was small and not more frequent than expected in the general population."

In summary, if you are "at risk" then vaccination is your safest option if you wish to take it. If not, then like millions of others you might choose to face Covid head on and gain strong and lasting natural immunity. It's a risk assessment only you can make.
Last edited by PilgrimOfTruth; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads