The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CaptainDuckie
There has been no studies to show that it makes you infertile. Nor change your DNA.

i saw on FB a lady took it nd her womb exploded
Original post by 4Skin

That's why you should spend less time on social media, and more time educating yourself from reliable, accurate sources.
Original post by 4Skin

FB. :facepalm2:

You rather listen to some random on FB than research?
Reply 23
Original post by 4Skin
no becuz changes ur nda, makes u infertile n my friend sed havin the cold makes u immune anyway. plus they have neva isolated the virus...

you lot really are 14 aren't you.

it was posted by dr dolorres on her page look it up. adenovirus vectors r used in gene therapy they cud easy insert lizard genes instead of spike

:hello:
Original post by 4Skin
it was posted by dr dolorres on her page look it up. adenovirus vectors r used in gene therapy they cud easy insert lizard genes instead of spike

The Oxford/ AstraZeneca vaccine doesn’t use mRNA - instead it uses a weakened version of adenovirus, delivering genetic instructions to your cells. While adenovirus vaccines do use genetic codes to produce a spike protein in the body, this code is not incorporated into your genetic material. The virus isn’t replicated within your body, and it cannot alter or edit your DNA.

After the genetic instructions in mRNA and adenovirus vaccines have been delivered to your cells, they are broken down by your cells and disappear from your body within a few days.

Trust me, I could sit here and educate you on biology all day but it will be a major waste of my time. That is from BHF though, however, which explains it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Hazzz01
:hello:

Hey, I’ll PM you so we don’t derail the thread :yy:
The virus isn’t replicated within your body,

sputnik can replicate tho and is made the same as oxoford look it up
yup
my whole family's vaccinated 'cept for me
Nope not gettng vaxxed. No way no how.

Happy to face Covid head on. I trust my immune system.
Reply 31
Yes of course.
Original post by chlamydia9000
no becuz changes ur nda, makes u infertile n my friend sed havin the cold makes u immune anyway. plus they have neva isolated the virus...

Please, I hope this is a troll comment, but stop spreading misinformation. This is wrong, the vaccine does not change your DNA. The Pfizer vaccine works by inserting mRNA of one of the virus particles into your cells where it is translated into a protein by the ribosomes in order to then trigger the primary immune repsonse to this antigen- this does not involve it incorporating into the DNA. If you didn't understand any of what I just said, then you don't have the necessary knowledge to have an informed opinion about the vaccines so please keep your views to yourself. It also doesn't make you infertile. Side effects are quite rare and carefully documented and you can read the articles yourself. Furthermore, catching the virus (which isn't a "cold" btw) doesn't result in long lasting immunity because the memory cells produced only last a few months at most. And finally, what do you even mean by they haven't isolated the virus? They have analysed the genome of the virus already.

I am probably going to have the vaccine once it's our turn to have it, although I need to research the content of the vaccines first since I've had a previous allergic reaction to another vaccine when I was a child. I know many people who have had the vaccine and who are perfeclty ok. I realise that side effects are possible but there will be more research and data about it once our age group is vaccinated so. Read as much scientific information as you can from reliable sources and make an informed decision.
Nope.
Reply 34
Original post by Anonymous
Nope. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
And no, it won't do anything for returning normality. Media and politicians are still insisting the vaccinated live by the same rules and mask mandates as those who have not had it.

Oh and you have no idea what the long term effects are.

Vaccines are a safer solution to heard immunity so i'm confused why you don't think it won't return us to reality.

Do you understand that vaccines are a risk benefit ideology. We could allow everyone to get the virus and let it run rampant (like in India) but it would kill so many innocent individuals. Therefore the only solution is a vaccine, there are negative implications to it but its better that than being dead. All my family has had the vaccine and the majority haven't had long term illness from it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts as i'm always curious to know others opinions.
No.
No.
I've had one vaccine for polio and am very unlikely to have any more.
Yes, but see it as my duty with the people I serve, the most vulnerable in society, also don't want to lose the little amount of practical's we are getting at uni because I need to isolate...although hopefully come September it'd be basically back to normal

I'm getting a home blood test soon to see if I've had it. Would be surprised if I have not as the amount of people I've passed coughing without covering their face and the fact that half my student accommodation has had it I'm either really lucky or been asymptomatic. But it's not about me it's about protecting the people I interact with, which a lot aren't even able to have the vaccine due to health complications.

Unlikely to have the AZ one though, not because it's bad but the others have better efficacy rates and I'll be offered an alternative, might as well have the theoretically more reliable one.

Also people complaining about 'long term side effects' we've been vaccinating people since Christmas, the human body replaces it self pretty rapidly, be it a few types of cells over years rather than months, but if something hasn't shown any issues yet and the logic behind the science says there shouldn't be any major, non treatable issues then there isn't anything to seriously worry about. Do I think vaccines should be tested over a long period of time, yes, but what would you rather have: a lockdown until the vaccine has been approved in 2023 where no business would be left and deaths would be in the millions world wide? Or have something with a solid basis in science and human biology, that's proved to work.

People are fine to not have it, I'm a very strong believer in individual freedoms, but that's just my opinion and there's only really three good reasons for not having it, because you don't want it (without a reason as that's fine), a medical reason you can't have it, or a cultural reason you can't have it. If the people spouting misinformation had just said they did not want it then yeah that's fine I respect their decision, but it's the leaking of lies into the minds of people who are on the fence which is just not acceptable.
(edited 2 years ago)
(Original post by Zetnie)
Vaccines are a safer solution to heard immunity so i'm confused why you don't think it won't return us to reality.

Vaccines by themselves will never return us to normality because:

1) They are not 100% effective. AT LEAST 1 in every 20 people vaccinated won't have good protection. Scale that up to country population sizes and it's a LOT of people. In the UK for example, 67 million people, 1 in 20 would mean 3,350,000 million people not protected.

2) You will NEVER EVER get the entire population to take vaccines, and very especially "Investigational" vaccines that have no FDA approval and whose long term safety has not been tested and thus is not assured.

Herd immunity will be achieved only by the COMBINATION of BOTH those with natural immunity and those who have been vaccinated.
Indeed that is now the case, see here:

Covid herd immunity could be reached 'within days' in the UK
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19220824.covid-herd-immunity-reached-within-days-uk/

"Prof Karl Friston, of UCL, told The Telegraph: "The herd immunity estimates surprised me. However, they are unremarkable when one considers that over 50 per cent of adults have been vaccinated, around 42 per cent of people have now been exposed to the virus and about 10 per cent have pre-existing immunity."

"Do you understand that vaccines are a risk benefit ideology. We could allow everyone to get the virus and let it run rampant (like in India) but it would kill so many innocent individuals. Therefore the only solution is a vaccine, there are negative implications to it but its better that than being dead.

This is totally unnecessary scaremongering. The VAST MAJORITY of people are not at all at risk of getting serious Covid illness let alone dying from Covid. Young people have more chance of dying in a car accident than from Covid. So the majority of people CAN just get Covid, recover from it and thereby gain good strong and lasting natural immunity from that point on. That natural immunity then reduces their chances of reinfection by 91% according to studies. There are millions of people already in that situation. In the UK some 30 million (probably more) have now had Covid, dealt with it and gained natural immunity. We can thank all those people because they have now enabled us to reach herd immunity in the UK.

"All my family has had the vaccine and the majority haven't had long term illness from it."

No-one has yet had time to know whether there are long term side effects so your comment here is meaningless. The vaccines have only been in play for 4-5 months. In 2009 we had the Swine Flu pandemic and again, Pharmaceuticals rushed out vaccines for it and many people were pressured into having them, esp NHS staff. It took some time before they accepted that the vaccines in fact were not safe and caused a significant number of cases of debilitating Narcolepsy. See here:

These NHS Staff Were Told The Swine Flu Vaccine Was Safe, And Now They're Suffering The Consequences
https://www.buzzfeed.com/shaunlintern/these-nhs-staff-were-told-the-swine-flu-vaccine-was-safe

Brain-Damaged UK Victims of Swine Flu Vaccine to Get £60 Million Compensation
https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/brain-damaged-uk-victims-swine-flu-vaccine-get-60-million-compensation-1438572

The link between the vaccine, Pandemrix, and Narcolepsy was established and accepted by GSK, the manufacturer and the victims were compensated: See here:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/07/why-pandemic-flu-shot-caused-narcolepsy

"The manufacturer, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), has acknowledged the link, and some patients and their families have already been awarded compensation. The manufacturer, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), has acknowledged the link, and some patients and their families have already been awarded compensation"

More here:

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/we-may-finally-know-why-flu-vaccine-triggered-narcolepsy/

"The association was too strong to ignore and after its acknowledgement, GSK began coughing up compensation money to affected families. Finally, scientists may have an explanation for this bizarre situation, which has also furthered our understanding of the condition. According to a new study published in Science Translational Medicine, the vaccine triggered the generation of antibodies that targeted both the virus and a population of brain cells critical to the regulation of sleep-wake cycles."

The CDC also confirmed the problem:

"An increased risk of narcolepsy was found following vaccination with Pandemrix, a monovalent 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine that was used in several European countries during the H1N1 influenza pandemic. This risk was initially found in Finland, and then other European countries also detected an association"

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/history/narcolepsy-flu.html

Pandemrix was subsequently withdrawn from use in the European Union

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines/human/EPAR/pandemrix

So let's keep it real please. It is far too early at this stage to know whether anyone who has been vaccinated will see longer term side effects. This would normally be revealed by regular vaccine trial studies that last years but obviously these vaccines have been rushed out without completing such testing and so long term safety has NOT yet been established and won't be until 2023 most likely.

Anyone taking the vaccines is therefore risking such impacts but it's a risk assessment and for many who are at serious risk of getting severe Covid illness, the risks of getting vaccinated are better than getting Covid. For those not "at risk" the risk assessment is completely different. I'm not "at risk" and I live a healthy lifestyle and look after my immune system. Because of that I'm not remotely worried about Covid and won't be getting vaccinated. It's a personal decision for each individual and we must respect everyone's decision.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Zetnie

Do you understand that vaccines are a risk benefit ideology. We could allow everyone to get the virus and let it run rampant (like in India) but it would kill so many innocent individuals. Therefore the only solution is a vaccine, there are negative implications to it but its better that than being dead. All my family has had the vaccine and the majority haven't had long term illness from it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts as i'm always curious to know others opinions.

Vaccines are not "safer than heard immunity".
This virus has a 99% recovery rate for those under 70. At last count, fewer than 400 people in the UK under 70 had died with Covid and no other comorbidities. The average age of those dying with Covid is 82 years old, and the vast majority of deaths are in people with at least 1 or more underlying health conditions. In fact, through most of 2020, the deaths attributed to Covid were massively over reported due to guidelines that allowed Drs to diagnose Covid without an accompanying positive test, relying on symptoms, which match most Influenza-like-illnesses and even COPD. And second, if people were already dying of something else, and then tested positive while in hospital, they were included in the figures.

You're right, vaccinations are a cost/benefit ideology. The issue with this one is that the long term safety studies are ongoing, and reactions and adverse effects are being significantly under reported.
The data we have on the virus its self shows that the vast majority of normally-healthy adults and children testing positive don't even have symptoms, or have extremely mild symptoms similar to a mild cold.

For anyone who is extremely vulnerable, they absolutely have the right to choose to take this vaccine as it may well be much safer for them. For the rest of the population, they too have the right to make an informed choice, even if that is to not take it.

Latest