The Student Room Group

Petrol money

So me and my friend go out in the car about 4-5 times a week and we do about 50-60 miles every night. I’m the only one that drives and my cars expensive to run. We work in the same job so very similar wages. I’ve been driving us around for about 2 and a half years and I asked her if she can start to put half of the petrol in and she won’t speak to me now. Am I in the wrong
How old are you both?
Reply 2
Original post by 2 If u say me
How old are you both?

Original post by Anonymous

Just say you could do with a bit of petrol money
So me and my friend go out in the car about 4-5 times a week and we do about 50-60 miles every night. I’m the only one that drives and my cars expensive to run. We work in the same job so very similar wages. I’ve been driving us around for about 2 and a half years and I asked her if she can start to put half of the petrol in and she won’t speak to me now. Am I in the wrong

Obviously, it is not wrong that you share the cost of petrol, but if your friend suddenly doesn't speak to you, you probably have done something wrong that you're not saying. You might have asked offensively.
Reply 5
I suggested that she puts in £10 a week which isn’t much considering my car averages 26 mpg so it’s not even half. I just got responses like “right” and “new bother”
Reply 6
Her: are we going to the gym today
Me: I’m just going to give it a miss today I can’t afford to go everyday
Her: Ahhh alright then
Me: would it be alright if you chipped in a little towards petrol because I’m really struggling
Her:Yeah I know Tbf I was thinking of suggesting joining Concordia because it just makes more sense for convience
Her: Yeah but even when we go out could you pay a little towards petrol even if it’s a fiver something makes a huge difference because I’m putting myself in a hole to go out Like I feel like a **** saying it but I’m getting further and further into a hole
Her:nee bother I’m bored of going out anyways
Me; oh right okay we’ll find something else to

This is the full conversation
Her: are we going to the gym today
Me: I’m just going to give it a miss today I can’t afford to go everyday
Her: Ahhh alright then
Me: would it be alright if you chipped in a little towards petrol because I’m really struggling
Her:Yeah I know Tbf I was thinking of suggesting joining Concordia because it just makes more sense for convience
Her: Yeah but even when we go out could you pay a little towards petrol even if it’s a fiver something makes a huge difference because I’m putting myself in a hole to go out Like I feel like a **** saying it but I’m getting further and further into a hole
Her:nee bother I’m bored of going out anyways
Me; oh right okay we’ll find something else to

This is the full conversation

If I ever get a lift I pay a little bit
Think it’s a bit cheap of her not to pay tbh
Well you’ve asked and she’s stopped talking so her free lift privileges from you aren’t going to happen
Reply 8

Yes, you are wrong if you are in the UK and have been going out and car-sharing during lockdown. Is it really over 2 years and recent, then?
Reply 9
Original post by Surnia
Yes, you are wrong if you are in the UK and have been going out and car-sharing during lockdown. Is it really over 2 years and recent, then?w

We live together
Reply 10
We live together

As flatmates?

Where have the two of you been going which requires journeys 4/5 times a week and distances of 50/60 miles per journey? That could be some 300 miles a week. Doing what?
You're not in the wrong but I don't think you helped youself by letting her not pay for so long. If you'd have broached the subject of her contributing for fuel within a few months of these regular trips then both of you would have understood where you stand a lot clearer. There's not much you can do at the moment apart from wait for her to grow up and start talking again. Sounds like she was quite comfortable taking advantage of you for so long and is shocked you're challenging the status quo.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending