Learning to drive no opportunity to practice

Watch
sarveshs
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi

I will turn 17 next month. I am looking to learn to drive and get my tests done in the next 6 months.

I have no opportunity to practice outside of lessons.

I have never driven on the road although around 3 years ago I did take 12 lessons at the Young Driver, Brent Cross. So I have driven manual transmission cars with instructors in a parking space for a few hours and in that sense, I am not completely novice.

Question:

1. Is it possible to learn to drive without any extra practice opportunity?
2. How long should I approximately provide for?
3. BSM is quoting £290 for a block of 10 lessons. Is that a good deal and more importantly how good are their instructors? Or should i look for some local non-franchise instructors?
Last edited by sarveshs; 1 month ago
GeorgeMc14
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sarveshs)
Hi

I will turn 17 next month. I am looking to learn to drive and get my tests done in the next 6 months.

I have no opportunity to practice outside of lessons.

I have never driven on the road although around 3 years ago I did take 12 lessons at the Young Driver, Brent Cross. So I have driven manual transmission cars with instructors in a parking space for a few hours and in that sense, I am not completely novice.

Question:

1. Is it possible to learn to drive without any extra practice opportunity?
2. How long should I approximately provide for?
3. BSM is quoting £290 for a block of 10 lessons. Is that a good deal and more importantly how good are their instructors? Or should i look for some local non-franchise instructors?
Okay so,
1. There is no rush to pass, some people need less than 10 lessons some need 30. A safe driver is the best driver. The lessons should be enough, after all driving instructors don’t expect you to go get insured on your parents car to practice on the roads in. I passed my test without any extra practice 😊.
2. Obviously the more lessons you buy in a pack the cheaper it should be. I bought 10 at a time and did around 14 in total. Worse comes to worst you lose some of your money, but that depends whether you are financing them or your parents/family are.
3. I’m unfamiliar with BSM, £290 for 10 means £29 a lesson and my lessons were £240 for 10, my advice is you keep looking for cheaper options. You will know in the first lesson whether or not the driving instructor is good or bad and you should be able to change instructors. Think about after you’ve passed you will want a car, so your goal is to save as much money as you can so you can afford a car (as insurance for young lads especially is ridiculous!).

hope this helped
sarveshs
Rep:
?
Thanks yes it helps a lot.

Typically how much it costs to buy and insure a basic first car for a teenager.
SyedN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks yes it helps a lot.

Typically how much it costs to buy and insure a basic first car for a teenager.
It just depends on how much you want to spend your first car.

And insurance is going to depend on where you live among other factors. My advice would be to always put someone as an additional driver in ur policy as it will make it cheaper. But depending on what you get you are generally looking at north of £2k for an 18 year old, with a black box.
sarveshs
Rep:
?
(Original post by SyedN)
It just depends on how much you want to spend your first car.

And insurance is going to depend on where you live among other factors. My advice would be to always put someone as an additional driver in ur policy as it will make it cheaper. But depending on what you get you are generally looking at north of £2k for an 18 year old, with a black box.
Thanks. Is that 2k for insurance only?
SyedN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks. Is that 2k for insurance only?
Sadly, yes.

If you get anything with a highish bhp like BMW 118D, your insurance will shoot up even more, but like I said it all depends on where you live.

When I was applying for universitiy, I was looking to go East Anglia and I checked my insurance there. It was only £1.2K for an 18 year old, with an Audi A4. But in Manchester for the same car it's around £1.8k at 20 years old.
sarveshs
Rep:
?
(Original post by SyedN)
Sadly, yes.

If you get anything with a highish bhp like BMW 118D, your insurance will shoot up even more, but like I said it all depends on where you live.

When I was applying for universitiy, I was looking to go East Anglia and I checked my insurance there. It was only £1.2K for an 18 year old, with an Audi A4. But in Manchester for the same car it's around £1.8k at 20 years old.
Thanks for the info. For now I'll focus on learning - need to find an instructor who can teach me without the need for additional practice.
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why do you have no opportunity to practice outside of lessons? Unless you know noone willing with a driving licence there are other options.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the info. For now I'll focus on learning - need to find an instructor who can teach me without the need for additional practice.
Does no-one you know drive? You can get insurance with something like Provisional Maramlade that does not impact the insurance of a car owner if you have an accident.
sarveshs
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlackLab)
Why do you have no opportunity to practice outside of lessons? Unless you know noone willing with a driving licence there are other options.
I dont know anyone willing - what are the other options?
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You need to find someone willing, then you/they can hire a learner car - we can hire a dual control car locally for £15 for 2 hours (Arnold Clark car hire). Or there are insurance companies that do temporary learner insurance, my mum can take me out in her car for £7 for 2 hours temporary insurance (or £115 for 12 weeks).
sarveshs
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlackLab)
You need to find someone willing, then you/they can hire a learner car - we can hire a dual control car locally for £15 for 2 hours (Arnold Clark car hire). Or there are insurance companies that do temporary learner insurance, my mum can take me out in her car for £7 for 2 hours temporary insurance (or £115 for 12 weeks).
Thanks. I can think of someone willing to be with me. However, they don't have a car. Unfortunately nearest Arnold Clark is 40 miles away.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I passed with no private practice at all. It really wasn’t necessary, I probably just took more lessons than most most. (Also I learnt later in life.)

I failed my first test and took a few extra whilst waiting for my second, probably 50-55hrs total.
Last edited by Admit-One; 4 weeks ago
kidinthedark90
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
All I'm going to say is that you're probably going to struggle to pass in 6 months at the moment.

Theory and Practical driving tests are super super backlogged, there's still 18 and 19 year olds waiting for their tests that have been cancelled multiple times, so you'll probably find it difficult to book tests unfortunately.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You might struggle with passing both tests in the next 6 months regardless of how quickly you learn. Depending on your area there may still be a backlog of people waiting to take their practical tests so you could be waiting a while to book one yourself.

As for insurance, no one can tell you how much it will cost. It depends on so many things - make and age of car, the area you live in, your age, any NCD, any additional drivers, your occupation etc. You're best off putting some figures into comparison sites and going from there.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 4 weeks ago
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have seen it recommended that you have 30-40 hours driving experience before taking your test - that is usually a combination of lessons and practice but if no one will help you practice then you are going to need to pay for more lessons.

I am not going to lie - the first time I went out with my daughter to practice I was pretty scared but we coped and she passed after 4 months learning. That was pre-covid where tests were more readily available.
TheDE
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you want to save some money, ask around the local driving schools to see if any currently have a PDI (Provisional driving instructor), as they must give lessons for free and log a certain amount of hours teaching before applying for ADI status.
sarveshs
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks all for your responses - one option is to buy a car and ask someone to accompany me. But I am not sure which car to buy. Alternatively, I just need to take extra lessons instead of practice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (85)
26.23%
England (109)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.33%
Germany (38)
11.73%
Spain (6)
1.85%