Aston vs Kent vs Surrey MSc Business Analytics

Watch this thread
Huntsman99
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have offers from all 3 of the above universities. Which one should I choose based on Employability, Industry connections, Cost of living, placements etc. I am an international student and that is why a little skeptical about making such an investment.
Are these universities well respected in the industry?
Or should I study for GMAT/GRE and hope for a good score for admission into a better Uni next year?
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Huntsman99)
I have offers from all 3 of the above universities. Which one should I choose based on Employability, Industry connections, Cost of living, placements etc. I am an international student and that is why a little skeptical about making such an investment.
Or should I study for GMAT/GRE and hope for a good score for admission into a better Uni next year?
Hi there!

First of all well done on all of your offers thats amazing!

I’m a current student at Aston so hopefully I can give you a little more information to help your decision!

So based on what you’ve told me I’ve put some information on Aston and the key aspects you wanted to know below!

Employability

Recent graduates have gone on to secure roles with prestigious international companies.

Aston University was recognised as the 'Best University Careers/Employability Service'.

The Careers and Placements team at Aston University won the 'Best University Careers/Employability Service' category at the National Undergraduate Employability (NUE) Awards 2020 for its use of innovative ideas to engage a high number of students with the service in order to support them with their career planning.

I can vouch for this being a placement student the careers and placement team helped me every step of the way.

Industry connections

Aston University has strong links with national and international organisations with over 200 employers interacting with students on campus each year.

We benefit from an extensive network of partner institutions, including some of the highest ranked business schools in Europe, such as Kedge Business School in France. Your options are not just limited within Europe, we also have partnerships with universities worldwide, from Australia to China and USA to Singapore.

Cost of living

Living in student accommodation can vary in Birmingham - living in more modern accommodation or studio apartments can range from £130-£160 a week.

Student houses are also a cheaper option with rent starting around £100-£120 a month depending on where you are in Birmingham.

Aston Brook Green (a student resident ran by the Student Union) also has flats and rooms starting at £70.99 per week.

So cost of living is quite varied across Birmingham, depending on what you want!

Placements

As a placement student myself I can really vouch for the careers and placement team at Aston.

Aston actually pioneered the Integrated placement year and over 74% of students at Aston take a placement year.

As part of this course you’ll have the opportunity to undertake a work placement. Choose a company of your choice, in the UK or overseas, and spend from one month to 12 months gaining valuable work experience. You’ll apply what you’ve learnt on a daily basis and develop a deeper understanding of your subject area.

Placement years really make you stand out from the crowd of graduates and Aston’s career and placement team will help you find the best match for you.

Being an international student at Aston

Aston University is a diverse, close community and welcomes international students on many of our postgraduate programmes. Students from over 120 different countries chose to study with us every year

I hope this helps but if you have any more questions please let me know!

- Poppy
Huntsman99
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursorointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursorointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}

(Original post by Aston University)
Hi there!

First of all well done on all of your offers thats amazing!

I’m a current student at Aston so hopefully I can give you a little more information to help your decision!

So based on what you’ve told me I’ve put some information on Aston and the key aspects you wanted to know below!

Employability

Recent graduates have gone on to secure roles with prestigious international companies.

Aston University was recognised as the 'Best University Careers/Employability Service'.

The Careers and Placements team at Aston University won the 'Best University Careers/Employability Service' category at the National Undergraduate Employability (NUE) Awards 2020 for its use of innovative ideas to engage a high number of students with the service in order to support them with their career planning.

I can vouch for this being a placement student the careers and placement team helped me every step of the way.

Industry connections

Aston University has strong links with national and international organisations with over 200 employers interacting with students on campus each year.

We benefit from an extensive network of partner institutions, including some of the highest ranked business schools in Europe, such as Kedge Business School in France. Your options are not just limited within Europe, we also have partnerships with universities worldwide, from Australia to China and USA to Singapore.

Cost of living

Living in student accommodation can vary in Birmingham - living in more modern accommodation or studio apartments can range from £130-£160 a week.

Student houses are also a cheaper option with rent starting around £100-£120 a month depending on where you are in Birmingham.

Aston Brook Green (a student resident ran by the Student Union) also has flats and rooms starting at £70.99 per week.

So cost of living is quite varied across Birmingham, depending on what you want!

Placements

As a placement student myself I can really vouch for the careers and placement team at Aston.

Aston actually pioneered the Integrated placement year and over 74% of students at Aston take a placement year.

As part of this course you’ll have the opportunity to undertake a work placement. Choose a company of your choice, in the UK or overseas, and spend from one month to 12 months gaining valuable work experience. You’ll apply what you’ve learnt on a daily basis and develop a deeper understanding of your subject area.

Placement years really make you stand out from the crowd of graduates and Aston’s career and placement team will help you find the best match for you.

Being an international student at Aston

Aston University is a diverse, close community and welcomes international students on many of our postgraduate programmes. Students from over 120 different countries chose to study with us every year

I hope this helps but if you have any more questions please let me know!

- Poppy
Hi, thank you for your reply. Another thing that I wanted to know was the state of in-person studies starting Sept this year. I understand it is going to be a hybrid model for at least a semester but to what extent? As in approximately what per cent of lectures/seminars/etc are going to be online?
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursorointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursorointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Hi, thank you for your reply. Another thing that I wanted to know was the state of in-person studies starting Sept this year. I understand it is going to be a hybrid model for at least a semester but to what extent? As in approximately what per cent of lectures/seminars/etc are going to be online?
Hiya!

So the extent of online and in person teaching will depend on government covid guidelines, so hopefully as guidelines ease there should be more in person teaching.

I know this isn’t the best response but as the situation with covid is ever-changing it’s hard to tell what will happen exactly!!

I have linked a page for post graduate international students which is regularly updated regarding covid!

https://www.aston.ac.uk/internationa...ing/covid-info

I hope this helps!

- Poppy
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi there!
It's great to hear you have applied to Surrey and received an offer – I’m Joao, an Economics student from the University of Surrey on placement at Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) this year and I'm enjoying it a lot. The campus is lovely. Surrey is known to put a lot of emphasis on the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests’ students have and clubs for all kinds of sport that a student might want to take up. And even with covid restrictions, the union managed to organise one of the biggest covid-safe university events in the country!

Studying MSc Business Analytics at Surrey not only will provide you with a theoretical understanding of the subject, but it also allow you to apply this knowledge in a practical setting. This course will take your career to the next level and develop your ability to make the big decisions about data in a confident fashion. Your studies will focus on two areas: analysing business data and using data to solve business challenges. On this course, you will have an opportunity to use artificial intelligence to improve a chess game, game theory to create games, or computational intelligence with genetic algorithms. You’ll also discover visualisations from graphs and explore virtual reality, gaining insights from data mining and machine learning.

You’ll get hands-on experience using a wide range of tools in the course, including:

“R” as the number one analytics language for machine learning, AI and prescriptive analytics
Tableau and Power Business Intelligence (PBI) for decision making and visual analytics
IBM SPSS Modeler for data mining and text analytics
Stata and SPSS for Statistical Analysis
PostgreSQL, MySQL and Microsoft’s SQL server for databases and structured query language
SAP for enterprise resource planning
Excel (using the Solver and Data Analysis add-ins)
Simul8 and SIMIO for discrete event simulations and virtual reality animations.

If I were you I would consider doing a placement year. Placement provides students with a unique opportunity to gain skills specific to their subject or industry of choice as well as the employability skills required for real-life work so I would suggest applying for a sandwich degree. If you do not manage to secure one you simply go straight to the 3rd year. Our Employability and Careers team will encourage you to be proactive and apply for your industry placement yourself, by writing a CV and cover letter. More importantly, your school or department will appoint a senior tutor for Professional Training who will work with you from the application process through to the completion of your placement. This is an academic member of staff with responsibility for delivering the Professional Training scheme and supporting you at all stages of the journey.

The university also provides a Professional Training coaching scheme, where you can be paired with a student who has recently returned from their placement. That way you will have friendly support from someone who went through the same placement-seeking process and who will prepare you for the world of work. Also, as some placements abroad may involve learning and communicate in a language other than English, the university has support available to help you develop your language skills.

Finally, I am happy to let you know we offer scholarships to reward strong academic performance achieved either before coming to Surrey or during your studies. Means tested bursaries may also be available to individuals from low-income households.

I think this may help you.

Scholarships and bursaries
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/fees-and-fu...-and-bursaries

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, then please ask as I am here to help you out !

Joao
Economics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads