Power and borders geography essay question help!!!1

Watch
hss_2004
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
With reference to 1 example, you have studied explain how conflict over territorial integrity causes pressure over natural resources. (16)

What on earth can I write and how can I evaluate it to get A02 marks. What points could I potentially say?
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You'll want to talk about a case study example for this question, examples that come to my mind are water allocations along the Colorado River in the South-Western USA and Mexico, or the River Nile between Egypt and Ethiopia - Case study video here if you want some ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BCY0SPOFpE

Firstly I would talk briefly about the historical origins of the management of the river to identify the underlying contextual factors at play, in this example the River Nile is central to Egyptian culture and history, forming a part of Egyptian identity.
Then you want to explain the current political and economic situation. What contestations, and arguments, what geopolitical tensions and discourse? What conflict of interest? Is one stakeholder or actor overextending in resources, threat of counter-action etc. In this case, the construction of the Aswan High Damn in Northern Ethiopia has the potential to reduce the volume of water flowing in the river, which will reduce the amount of water Egypt receives in the Nile.
Then talk about what potential consequences or impact these actions may cause. With the construction of the dam, Ethopia has a new power and capacity to exert control over Egypt. The removal of water from the Nile has the potential to impact irrigation water for Egyptian farming, transport along the river and commodity exports and so on.
Then you could talk about how the conflict of interest is managed through policymaking and regional political assemblies and discussions, what treaties or controls will be implemented or uses to ensure equality or resolutions to the conflict.

I hope this gives you some ideas, feel free to ask anymore questions
hss_2004
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Omg thank you so much you've defo helped me get some ideas!!!! My case study we was told to use was the conflict in Gaza between Israelis and Palestinians and the limited water supply to Palestinians.
I was going to do my introduction defining territorial integrity and defining natural resources.
I was then going to speak about how Jews moved to Palestine after WW2 and how things got out of hand and how majority of Palestine is under Israeli rule.
Then a brief paragraph mentioning the limited water supply, how Palestinians have to pay extra for it etc and how they are effected.
But how could I potentially get A02 marks? I am on OCR exam board and usually have to evaluate well, could you potentially speak about other factors that puts pressure onto natural resources? I'm not sure how to word this but I wanted to then bring in the case study about Russia annexing Crimea for oil however, I wouldn't say that conflict is due to territorial integrity but rather how some natural resources will provide some countries more power and control over others?
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by hss_2004)
Omg thank you so much you've defo helped me get some ideas!!!! My case study we was told to use was the conflict in Gaza between Israelis and Palestinians and the limited water supply to Palestinians.
I was going to do my introduction defining territorial integrity and defining natural resources.
I was then going to speak about how Jews moved to Palestine after WW2 and how things got out of hand and how majority of Palestine is under Israeli rule.
Then a brief paragraph mentioning the limited water supply, how Palestinians have to pay extra for it etc and how they are effected.
But how could I potentially get A02 marks? I am on OCR exam board and usually have to evaluate well, could you potentially speak about other factors that puts pressure onto natural resources? I'm not sure how to word this but I wanted to then bring in the case study about Russia annexing Crimea for oil however, I wouldn't say that conflict is due to territorial integrity but rather how some natural resources will provide some countries more power and control over others?
From reading the specification I understand that AO2 marks is the application of knowledge and information to new contexts and ideas, so I would assume this means applying your understanding of environmental management systems, the governance of natural resources by human systems of economics and politics, human epistemologies of knowledge production and so on into this example. One philosophical example you could use is the idea of the "tragedy of the commons" and conflict of interest between competing users of self interest when sharing one natural resource instead of the greater good.

This would constitute parts of the question like: explaining what policy or political strategy the Israeli government has implemented and why (what is their positionality and bias?) discussion of contextual and historical factors and assemblages to understand the current political landscape in Palestine today (contestation between different ethnic or religious groups?) and how the concept of territorial integrity as defined by the UN has been challenged, appropriated and reproduced by different nation states acting in self-interest.
Last edited by Ðeggs; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.64%
Excited but a bit nervous (123)
45.9%
Not bothered either way (35)
13.06%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.4%

Watched Threads