idontlikeessays
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Could anybody help me with this question please?

'myxopyronin inhibits bacterial RNA polymerase. Explain why the antibiotic myxopyronin can be used to treat bacterial infections in humans.'

Thank you.
qwert7890
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by idontlikeessays)

'myxopyronin inhibits bacterial RNA polymerase. Explain why the antibiotic myxopyronin can be used to treat bacterial infections in humans.'

Thank you.
Why do you think inhibiting it would help in stopping bacterial growth? What does RNA Polymerase do?
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Think about the RNA polymerase enzyme, and the importance of what inhibiting it has on bacterial infections.

Have you learnt it in class yet?
qwert7890
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
Think about the RNA polymerase enzyme, and the importance of what inhibiting it has on bacterial infections.

I forgot.. the title says GCSE Biology but I don’t think I’ve ever learnt about RNA polymerase at gcse?
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by qwert7890)
I forgot.. the title says GCSE Biology but I don’t think I’ve ever learnt about RNA polymerase at gcse?

I think a GCSE student would be able to explain this; thinking about RNA, DNA, the concepts behind it etc.

It looks like a very annoying application question.
username5050312
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing GCSE biology and have never heard of such a question.
idontlikeessays
Rep:
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)

Ohh so would it inhibit the processes in the bacteria and prevent it from binding to the DNA?
qwert7890
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Ohh so would it inhibit the processes in the bacteria and prevent it from binding to the DNA?
Yes. RNA polymerase binds to DNA and allows for the assembly of mRNA during protein synthesis.
Jazzyfizzle21
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Thank you.
Hi, there are 4 part to this question hence the 4 marks - so you will need to speak about the 4 different parts. one being the role of the RNA polymerase (see Khan academy DNA - Transcription section) two - you will need to touch upon when and how this bacteria can spread if not treated - three - you need to say how the antibiotic myxopyronin is used in humans and four - why is is being used and why we haven become resistant to it. I hope this helps! good luck
idontlikeessays
Rep:
t

Yes. RNA polymerase binds to DNA and allows for the assembly of mRNA during protein synthesis.
thank you!
qwert7890
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
t

thank you!
You will now need to comment on the impact of RNA Polymerase inhibition on protein synthesis. Why does this inhibition stop bacterial growth?
idontlikeessays
Rep:
You will now need to comment on the impact of RNA Polymerase inhibition on protein synthesis. Why does this inhibition stop bacterial growth?
Ummm does it prevent bacteria from being produced during the translation stage?
qwert7890
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Ummm does it prevent bacteria from being produced during the translation stage?
Not exactly, because bacteria as a whole isn’t entirely protein.

However it does prevent essential proteins frombeing produced - these essential proteins are involved in the replication process of a bacteria, for example an enzyme.
idontlikeessays
Rep:
Not exactly, because bacteria as a whole isn’t entirely protein.

However it does prevent essential proteins from being produced - these essential proteins are involved in the replication process of a bacteria, for example an enzyme.
Ohhhh i think i understand now. Thank you so much for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (16)
17.2%
The paper was reasonable (33)
35.48%
Not feeling great about that exam... (32)
34.41%
It was TERRIBLE (12)
12.9%

Watched Threads