The Student Room Group

Biodiversity Informatics!

Hi guys,
I'm really struggling with an assignment at the moment. I have to use QGIS to create maps and use data from worldclim.org to assess the populations of the hairy dragonfly in Europe.

The first time I tried doing this assignment downloading the data from worldclim.org crashed my laptop and I had to completely wipe my laptop to get it to work again. I ended up getting a deferral for this assignment and I've been too scared to go back to it since. I'm now trying to do the assignment again but I'm more lost that I was the first time round. I don't even know where to begin, my lecturer doesn't want an introduction he just wants a method section, results section and discussion section so I can't even ease myself into the work with background information like I would usually do. I still can't get the data to download and I haven't got access to other computers because of COVID. I'm at a complete loss and ready to admit defeat with this assignment and fail the module. I really don't know what to do!
I'm doing QGIS and biodiversity monitoring too, what do u actually need help with? You need to contact your lecturer about the crashes, it's possible they have the data you need downloaded or you can ask other students in your class to upload it to google drive for you. You should still try to introduce yourself to the topic, maybe writing an introduction that you don't actually need will help warm you up to the work and become familiar with the existing literature you'll need to reference in your discussiion. Start with a plan for each section with the questions you need to answer and criteria you need to meet.

Quick Reply

Latest