The Student Room Group

Application question

Hi I was just wondering about applying for finance. I was born in and have lived in the UK my entire life until about 3-4 years ago when my mum was on a 2-year contract abroad in a different country. I went with her and studied at school here. She extended this contract for another 2 years but it will be ending this year. Throughout this time my dad has stayed in the UK and worked and my brother is currently at university in the UK with finance. I visited with my mother multiple times a year during the 3-4 years abroad - about 60-80 days each year. I have a permanent UK address with my dad, I’m able to vote as I’ve recently turned 18. When returning in july, I will be staying in the UK. I also have a bank account in the UK and despite being abroad I have ordered things to my address regularly and there is frequent payments made, my bank statements also have my personal address on them. The majority of my universities including my firm have given me home status, but I was wondering my chances of eligibility for finance. I was unsure of applying as I felt if i was unable to receive finance this may affect my status at my chosen university.
Original post by 188609
Hi I was just wondering about applying for finance. I was born in and have lived in the UK my entire life until about 3-4 years ago when my mum was on a 2-year contract abroad in a different country. I went with her and studied at school here. She extended this contract for another 2 years but it will be ending this year. Throughout this time my dad has stayed in the UK and worked and my brother is currently at university in the UK with finance. I visited with my mother multiple times a year during the 3-4 years abroad - about 60-80 days each year. I have a permanent UK address with my dad, I’m able to vote as I’ve recently turned 18. When returning in july, I will be staying in the UK. I also have a bank account in the UK and despite being abroad I have ordered things to my address regularly and there is frequent payments made, my bank statements also have my personal address on them. The majority of my universities including my firm have given me home status, but I was wondering my chances of eligibility for finance. I was unsure of applying as I felt if i was unable to receive finance this may affect my status at my chosen university.

Hi, were you outside of the EU/EEA?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, were you outside of the EU/EEA?
Thanks, Isaac

Yes my mum was employed on a temporary contract of 2 years abroad in a different country outside of the EU/EEA.
Original post by 188609
Yes my mum was employed on a temporary contract of 2 years abroad in a different country outside of the EU/EEA.

If you lived with her, you will need to prove your absence was temporary. If you only visited her on holiday then we won't require evidence.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
If you lived with her, you will need to prove your absence was temporary. If you only visited her on holiday then we won't require evidence.
Thanks, Isaac

Would contracts stating 2 year temporary employment - and residency permits of a limited number of years be enough for this? Is there anything else? Would I need to prove that i visited over 70 days per year and show my bank statements with my address?

If i attended school and did gcses and a levels here but my mother only had a temporary contract is this considered temporary leave?
Original post by 188609
Would contracts stating 2 year temporary employment - and residency permits of a limited number of years be enough for this? Is there anything else? Would I need to prove that i visited over 70 days per year and show my bank statements with my address?

If i attended school and did gcses and a levels here but my mother only had a temporary contract is this considered temporary leave?

Yes, your evidence sounds fine. If you show you were attending school that proves you kept ties with the UK, you can also provide your mums temporary contract and possibly a letter from her employer explaining it was temporary.

Bank statements are also good.

All of this evidence can be uploaded online in your account.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Yes, your evidence sounds fine. If you show you were attending school that proves you kept ties with the UK, you can also provide your mums temporary contract and possibly a letter from her employer explaining it was temporary.

Thanks, Isaac

No i’m sorry i attended school where my mum was. that is my main issue. i attended half of my high school in the uk but the other half of school abroad but i visited frequently a few times a year. my dad stayed in the uk so i would come back frequently with my mum to stay with him. So would the temporary contract, a letter explaining it was temporary, bank statements and flight tickets (proof of frequent visits) all be good enough evidence? is there anything else i would need and any other ways i could prove i kept ties with the uk?
Reply 7

Thanks, Isaac

Also, would SFE contact my university if i was ineligible to receive funding? Letting them know this
Original post by 188609
No i’m sorry i attended school where my mum was. that is my main issue. i attended half of my high school in the uk but the other half of school abroad but i visited frequently a few times a year. my dad stayed in the uk so i would come back frequently with my mum to stay with him. So would the temporary contract, a letter explaining it was temporary, bank statements and flight tickets (proof of frequent visits) all be good enough evidence? is there anything else i would need and any other ways i could prove i kept ties with the uk?

Flight tickets to show you continually returned to the UK would be good evidence and as well as your mums work evidence you could get a letter from the school to say you were there temporarily. As much evidence as possible is always better, however you can upload what you have and if the residency team need more then they will contact you.

Original post by 188609
Also, would SFE contact my university if i was ineligible to receive funding? Letting them know this

No we won't contact them.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 9
No we won't contact them.

Thanks, Isaac

a few questions, sorry.

when filling the form, if i live with my mum and dad separately so my mum when i’m here and my dad when i’m in england am i supposed to put ‘both’ on the form?

will sfe request more evidence if i say i was here temporarily or can they just consider me not a resident automatically?

is there a chance that they offer me only funding for tuition and not maintenance because of these residency issues? as i need both.

what would u expect the letter from my school to say other than it was temporary. my time at school was supported by my mothers contract so when that ends this would also end but i’m wondering how to request them to word it and what would be suitable for finance to accept.

my unis home status is stated as the same residency criteria to be eligible for sfe, so i’m worried that if i apply n im told i don’t meet the criteria, that my uni will find out n change my status also, is this possible?

i cant return to england right now due to the travel ban situation, will applying in this country affect my chances at receiving sf?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 188609
a few questions, sorry.

when filling the form, if i live with my mum and dad separately so my mum when i’m here and my dad when i’m in england am i supposed to put ‘both’ on the form?

will sfe request more evidence if i say i was here temporarily or can they just consider me not a resident automatically?

is there a chance that they offer me only funding for tuition and not maintenance because of these residency issues? as i need both.

what would u expect the letter from my school to say other than it was temporary. my time at school was supported by my mothers contract so when that ends this would also end but i’m wondering how to request them to word it and what would be suitable for finance to accept.

my unis home status is stated as the same residency criteria to be eligible for sfe, so i’m worried that if i apply n im told i don’t meet the criteria, that my uni will find out n change my status also, is this possible?

i cant return to england right now due to the travel ban situation, will applying in this country affect my chances at receiving sf?

If they are not married anymore then you should select one parent and they will need to prove their marital status if they don't have a new partner

If your first lot of evidence isn't accepted then we will ask for more

is there a chance that they offer me only funding for tuition and not maintenance because of these residency issues? as i need both
No

Just that you were studying their temporarily due to your mums work and you were not permanently in the country

The university decide the fee, we have no input on this. I'd expect you to be charged home fees.

As long as you are in the UK before the 01/09/2021 then it should be fine.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 11
If they are not married anymore then you should select one parent and they will need to prove their marital status if they don't have a new partner

If your first lot of evidence isn't accepted then we will ask for more

is there a chance that they offer me only funding for tuition and not maintenance because of these residency issues? as i need both
No

Just that you were studying their temporarily due to your mums work and you were not permanently in the country

The university decide the fee, we have no input on this. I'd expect you to be charged home fees.

As long as you are in the UK before the 01/09/2021 then it should be fine.

Thanks, Isaac

Hi again, I was also wondering if there’s anything required from my father - considering he stayed in the UK paying bills and working full time. My mother also continued to pay mortgage on our house while in this other country. Is there any evidence I’d need from my fathers end to prove ties, such as his contracts or tax payments or bill payments?

My brother was in a similar situation to myself last year, but didn’t need to provide much evidence, does this vary person to person?
Original post by 188609
Hi again, I was also wondering if there’s anything required from my father - considering he stayed in the UK paying bills and working full time. My mother also continued to pay mortgage on our house while in this other country. Is there any evidence I’d need from my fathers end to prove ties, such as his contracts or tax payments or bill payments?

My brother was in a similar situation to myself last year, but didn’t need to provide much evidence, does this vary person to person?

Hi, if they are not married then you need to choose one parent and send their details. If you are sending your mums information then we won't need anything from your dad.

It depends what he put on his application, so it's difficult to answer that.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest