Dissertation quetsion re. sampling bias

Watch
Andreww222
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi all,
I distributed my questionnaire via social media. I am writing this up as criticism re. my research design as 80% of responses were aged 18-24. Is this some kind of unintentional sampling bias? or does it have a different name? I'm planning on saying future research could aim to gain information on older demographics
Angelique 1_33
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Social media is a platform used most by that bracket of ages -not saying there aren't others. So, I would agree with sampling bias
Last edited by Angelique 1_33; 4 months ago
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
there's two types of bias worth mentioning:
- your study exhibits sampling bias because you've sampled from a single source
- the source exhibits selection bias because social media users don't select into using social media randomly ie the source itself is biased (you get more young people who are more socially active online, which may affect their survey answers)

the first bias is more relevant to you because its a critic of your research directly, but the second one also affects the quality of your results
Andreww222
Rep:
?
Okay, amazing thank you for clearing it up I knew it had a name but just wanted to check

(Original post by HoldThisL)
there's two types of bias worth mentioning:
- your study exhibits sampling bias because you've sampled from a single source
- the source exhibits selection bias because social media users don't select into using social media randomly ie the source itself is biased (you get more young people who are more socially active online, which may affect their survey answers)

the first bias is more relevant to you because its a critic of your research directly, but the second one also affects the quality of your results
Andreww222
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angelique 1_33)
Social media is a platform used most by that bracket of ages -not saying there aren't others. So, I would agree with sampling bias
Brilliant, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads