Nottingham Trent or Loughborough university? For Graphic Design

Watch
Aliciaalexandra
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I’m having a really hard time picking somewhere to go for university especially seeing as it’s hard to visit at the moment. So if possible could anyone give any advice about the unis and course as I’m so unsure of where to go haha
shreyp7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're tryna do art design, architecture or physics Loughborough is where its at its up and coming and is a lit uni. new facilities all of that and night life amazing so yh hope that helps.
shreyp7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aliciaalexandra)
Hi! I’m having a really hard time picking somewhere to go for university especially seeing as it’s hard to visit at the moment. So if possible could anyone give any advice about the unis and course as I’m so unsure of where to go haha
Loughborough, Nottingham Trent, UWE and Bath Spa. btw check them out Trent course is good I've heard
Aliciaalexandra
Rep:
?
(Original post by shreyp7)
If you're tryna do art design, architecture or physics Loughborough is where its at its up and coming and is a lit uni. new facilities all of that and night life amazing so yh hope that helps.
Yes that really does thank you!
Aliciaalexandra
Rep:
?
(Original post by shreyp7)
Loughborough, Nottingham Trent, UWE and Bath Spa. btw check them out Trent course is good I've heard
Yeah I’ve heard the course is good as well, where are you studying/ hoping to study ?
shreyp7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I’ve heard the course is good as well, where are you studying/ hoping to study
finance London or Bristol
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there,

If you're stuck between two Universities that are offering the same course, then there are a few things to look out for/ ask yourself:

1. Which location would you prefer to live in? Do you prefer Nottingham or Loughborough? It's important to ask yourself this because you will likely be spending three years of your life living there!
  2. What are the Student Unions like at each University? Does one of the Universities offer some societies that you are interested in, which the other Uni doesn't have?
  3. What is student life like at each Uni? Perhaps follow their social media channels to find out what you can expect from being a student at each Uni. For example, what events are run by the University for students to get involved in? Are there opportunities for collaborations between courses?
  4. What is the student satisfaction rate for each course? League tables aren't always reflective of which course is better, but student satisfaction rates are a good way of ascertaining which course could be better.
  5. Take a look at the student work produced by each Uni's students on that course. This can be a great way to work out which course is better for you, as you will be able to see what type of work the students get up to.
  6. Take a look at the course modules for each course - what appeals to you more? What interests you most?
  7. Have a look at the lecturers that teach that course, and what their backgrounds are. All Plymouth College of Art teachers have experience in their respective fields - my animation lecturer has worked on some big name films from Marvel and Disney! This is important for creative subjects, because being successful in landing jobs is often partially down to your contacts list, and having a lecturer who has worked in a company that you are interested in - or has contacts with people in a company you're in - can help your chances at landing an interview, or being able to get in contact with that studio.

I hope this helps and please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.
Lauren
Third Year Animation Student and Student Ambassador
Aliciaalexandra
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plymouth College Of Art)
Hey there,

If you're stuck between two Universities that are offering the same course, then there are a few things to look out for/ ask yourself:

1. Which location would you prefer to live in? Do you prefer Nottingham or Loughborough? It's important to ask yourself this because you will likely be spending three years of your life living there!
  2. What are the Student Unions like at each University? Does one of the Universities offer some societies that you are interested in, which the other Uni doesn't have?
  3. What is student life like at each Uni? Perhaps follow their social media channels to find out what you can expect from being a student at each Uni. For example, what events are run by the University for students to get involved in? Are there opportunities for collaborations between courses?
  4. What is the student satisfaction rate for each course? League tables aren't always reflective of which course is better, but student satisfaction rates are a good way of ascertaining which course could be better.
  5. Take a look at the student work produced by each Uni's students on that course. This can be a great way to work out which course is better for you, as you will be able to see what type of work the students get up to.
  6. Take a look at the course modules for each course - what appeals to you more? What interests you most?
  7. Have a look at the lecturers that teach that course, and what their backgrounds are. All Plymouth College of Art teachers have experience in their respective fields - my animation lecturer has worked on some big name films from Marvel and Disney! This is important for creative subjects, because being successful in landing jobs is often partially down to your contacts list, and having a lecturer who has worked in a company that you are interested in - or has contacts with people in a company you're in - can help your chances at landing an interview, or being able to get in contact with that studio.

I hope this helps and please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.
Lauren
Third Year Animation Student and Student Ambassador
Hi! Yes it has thank you so much for the help!
Loughborough University
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! Yes it has thank you so much for the help!
Hi Aliciaalexandra,

I echo what Lauren from Plymouth College of Art has said above and they're all really important factors to take into consideration. It really is important to choose the place that resonates with you and your interests the most. I'd like to leave you with some links to help you make your decision. This campus page will give you information about our huge campus but if you scroll down you will see links to Sport, LU Arts and Students' Union to give you an idea of all the different activities you can get involved in outside of your course. Take a look at what our students have to say about their experience at Loughborough. You may have already visited the Graphic Design page but it has a tour of our facilities and other course-specific info.

Do let me know if you have any questions... you'll have a great time wherever you decide to study :proud:
Bindu
Aliciaalexandra
Rep:
?
(Original post by Loughborough University)
Hi Aliciaalexandra,

I echo what Lauren from Plymouth College of Art has said above and they're all really important factors to take into consideration. It really is important to choose the place that resonates with you and your interests the most. I'd like to leave you with some links to help you make your decision. This campus page will give you information about our huge campus but if you scroll down you will see links to Sport, LU Arts and Students' Union to give you an idea of all the different activities you can get involved in outside of your course. Take a look at what our students have to say about their experience at Loughborough. You may have already visited the Graphic Design page but it has a tour of our facilities and other course-specific info.

Do let me know if you have any questions... you'll have a great time wherever you decide to study :proud:
Bindu
Thank you so much I’ll definitely have a look!
insidedesigner
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They're both reasonably similar in character, size, outlook and quality of work that students produce. NTU is possibly a bit more industry facing, Loughborough a bit more academic (but don't let that put you off, it's a good thing!).

The biggest difference is whether you'd prefer to live in a big city or a smaller town. Loughborough's excellent sports facilities, or Nottingham's more diverse gig and club venues might be more of a deciding factor than the courses themselves.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (69)
30.4%
No (158)
69.6%

Watched Threads