Are clinical psychologists basically therapists?

Watch
jaxp
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Clinical psychologists talk to people and council them, right? And therapists do the same, so are they the same thing?
shreyp7
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by jaxp)
Clinical psychologists talk to people and council them, right? And therapists do the same, so are they the same thing?
A therapist is someone who works with patients to diagnose and treat mental and emotional disorders.

a clinical psychologist(clinical psychology) specialty of psychology that:

Provides continuing and comprehensive mental health care for people and families.
Consults with agencies and communities.
Trains, educates and supervises other mental health professionals.
Is research-based.

a therapist is more one and one and a clinical psychologist is people like Jordan Peterson check him out.
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
All clinical psychologists are required to have skills in therapy and are one of the few mental health clinicans whose basic training covers more than one model of therapy (normally CBT and one other for most courses). However, they are also required to have skills in research, neuropsychological assessment and cross lifespan training from Child, Adult, Learning Disabilities and Older adults. The majority do some amount of therapy, but they will also do other things because of their skillset.

For instance, I do individual CBT and group therapy as part of my job (usually the more complex, risky and severe cases) but that takes up a third of my time. I spend another third managing, training and supervising other clinicians, and the other third engaging in research and service evaluation/ development. In contrast, some of those I manage (non-psychologists) are pretty much 100% therapist, and that is all they do.

You can get some psychologists who do 100% therapy, but they tend to be Band 7 more junior roles, and the expectation is as soon as you have some experience you start supervising and managing. Alternatively, in some clinical psychology areas (e.g. research, neuropsychology, service development) a clinical psychologist may not use any of their therapy training with patients. Instead they will be using some of their other skills. It's a bit like in medicine, where all medical doctors have a grounding in medicine, anatomy and surgery, but your average GP may not be using those surgery skills once they leave their core medical training.
giella
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by shreyp7)
A therapist is someone who works with patients to diagnose and treat mental and emotional disorders.

a clinical psychologist(clinical psychology) specialty of psychology that:

Provides continuing and comprehensive mental health care for people and families.
Consults with agencies and communities.
Trains, educates and supervises other mental health professionals.
Is research-based.

a therapist is more one and one and a clinical psychologist is people like Jordan Peterson check him out.
So you’re pushing misogyny and incel culture and you’re incorrect to boot.
greg tony
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by giella)
So you’re pushing misogyny and incel culture and you’re incorrect to boot.
Jordan Peterson is a divisive character but remember your own bias also. The OP is correct in their description that he is a clinical psychologist, but you are incorrect to leap from a descriptor to evidence of them specifically pushing incel culture. Working by your logic, me mentioning that piers Morgan is a TV personality, would mean I stand behind his ideology or comments.

Sorry if this seems antagonistic but we must be careful on both sides of how we communicate our views,

Greg
giella
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by greg tony)
Jordan Peterson is a divisive character but remember your own bias also. The OP is correct in their description that he is a clinical psychologist, but you are incorrect to leap from a descriptor to evidence of them specifically pushing incel culture. Working by your logic, me mentioning that piers Morgan is a TV personality, would mean I stand behind his ideology or comments.

Sorry if this seems antagonistic but we must be careful on both sides of how we communicate our views,

Greg
I would agree with you but this poster literally includes him in every other post he makes. He’s pushing an agenda.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.54%
Note taking apps (6)
2.44%
Flashcards (48)
19.51%
Revision guides (15)
6.1%
Past papers (116)
47.15%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.25%

Watched Threads