What do i need to average to get a 2:1 in 3rd year??

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So basically ive got 52.1% in 2nd Year. 2nd year is 20% and 80% 3rd Year. What do i need to average to get 2:1 on my final year?
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on how the modules were weighted. So we can’t actually answer that. That and it depends if first year counts anything towards your final classification.
Last edited by Scienceisgood; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Depends on how the modules were weighted. So we can’t actually answer that. That and it depends if first year counts anything towards your final classification.
First year dont count and modules are 30 creds dissertation are 20%.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
0.521 * 20 = 10.4

To get a 2.1:

60-10.4 = 49.6

49.6/80 * 100 = 62%. So you need to get an average of 62 to get an overall 60.
Last edited by ROTL94; 1 month ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So basically ive got 52.1% in 2nd Year. 2nd year is 20% and 80% 3rd Year. What do i need to average to get 2:1 on my final year?
Hello!

I would recommend emailing your personal tutor or the head of your course to ask for some information about how your final year will be graded. It will differ depending on each course and faculty at the uni so it's best to ask and see!

For me, in my first and second year at uni, the lowest scoring module was removed and then the overall grade for the year was the average from the remaining five modules. This may be the case for you where your lowest scoring module is removed from your average. This helped my grade improve massively by removing the lowest scoring module! For grading the final year, some courses will have a 10% contribution from first year to the final year grade, whereas others take the best 6 grades from the modules from year 2 and year 3, or just use the final year grade only.

It's worth an ask, especially as certain modules may be weighted differently!

Sam- Official Student Rep
University of Derby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi there,

It's a good question, and great that you're thinking about how to achieve a certain goal.

It all depends on the university you are attending and how their system works in terms of grading. They is sometimes some flex in the percentage weight between your second and third year, and it helps to know the 'points' or credits as making a percentage from percentages doesn't always give you an accurate answer. You can however get a rough idea of what you'll need to average with a quick calculation.

Please note, this is simply an example with limited understanding and the caveat that it is less than ideal using percentages to form another percentage.

- Year two counts for 20% of your grade so 0.2 x 52.1 equals 10.42% towards your final grade
- Year three counts towards 80% of your final grade, so to reach 60 overall, you'll need to make up that 49.58 (60-10.42) to reach a total of 60 (usual 2:1 score) of overall contribution.
- So, 49.58 divided by 0.8 (as it's only worth 80% of your TOTAL grade) comes out at 61.95. This would be the average you need in year three to secure 60% for the entire course.

It is always best to check with your university and use actual marks rather than percentages to come to an accurate conclusion, but I hope this gives you a rough idea of how to calculate the score you need to achieve an overall goal.

Hope this helps
James
Student Rep
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursorointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursorointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (98)
27.84%
No (254)
72.16%

Watched Threads