The Student Room Group

Tax Refund

Say if my current annual salary is 20k but im on 6 month contract - this means I'll earn 10k. However, in the 6 months i'm employed i'm still paying PAYE (lets say £100p/m for example)

At the end of the tax year, i won't have exceeded the personal allowance (12,570) - how do i go about getting tax refund of £600 (£100 x 6)?
Reply 1
You have to wait till the end of the tax year for any tax refund as you may get a new job, a renewal on your contract or sign on to universal credit all of which would count towards your total taxable income for the year, the tax year resets at the start of april 2022. Theres nothing you can do until then for this year but you can reply for a rebate for last year if you were taxed above the limit. I dont think you can get a refund on ni tax juse paye
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Tosh8
You have to wait till the end of the tax year for any tax refund as you may get a new job, a renewal on your contract or sign on to universal credit all of which would count towards your total taxable income for the year, the tax year resets at the start of april 2022. Theres nothing you can do until then for this year but you can reply for a rebate for last year if you were taxed above the limit. I dont think you can get a refund on ni tax juse paye

What’s the process of getting the refund ie fill in a form or do HMRC inform u? And how long before next tax year do I notify them/they notify me?
Original post by Shah99
Say if my current annual salary is 20k but im on 6 month contract - this means I'll earn 10k. However, in the 6 months i'm employed i'm still paying PAYE (lets say £100p/m for example)

At the end of the tax year, i won't have exceeded the personal allowance (12,570) - how do i go about getting tax refund of £600 (£100 x 6)?

they will automatically send you a letter. So next April the 5/6th they'll send you a letter with the amount they will refund you.
Reply 4
Original post by Shah99

https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund is a good starting point
Reply 5
Original post by jumbojim56877
they will automatically send you a letter. So next April the 5/6th they'll send you a letter with the amount they will refund you.

Not quite..... it takes a while for HMRC to do the maths and send out these letters, so they're not going to arrive the day the new tax year starts....
Reply 6
Original post by Shah99

HMRC should automatically do it and send you a cheque but they can take a long time. Best bet would be to contact them yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending