SarahhhZhou
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys

I need to choose my A levels NOW but I still don’t know what I should choose.

I am thinking about doing PPE in the future, therefore I will definitely choose Maths and Economics. Our school allows us to choose 4 A levels and I need choose two from History Psychology and Further Maths.

I know History is a recommended subject for PPE, however, as English is not my first language and also I am not doing History GCSE, I am a bit concerned about it. I do like History though.

I also like Psychology although it isn’t the perfect choice for PPE. I think that Psychology does not require me to write so many essays so hopefully my English level won’t hinder my grade.

For further maths, I think it is a great subject to have for Economics, but is it the same case for PPE? I am very confident in Maths, but I am afraid that if I choose Further Maths and History and discover that History is the subject not for me, I will only have Maths Economics and Further Maths left and this is definitely not good for applying for PPE.

Pls I really need advice. Thank you so much!
Theoooooo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
*TLDR: my best advice is to go for maths, further maths, history and economics.

Hello!

Awesome to hear you're thinking about studying PPE. I'm in my gap year and I'll be off to LSE to study it this September.

If you're confident in maths, then definitely do further maths! Universities really really love maths so extra maths is a good idea. Plus, some politics courses can be fairly maths heavy (quantitative methods) so you wouldn't be doing it just for econ. It will help you with the harder maths at university and is definitely something that admissions people are looking for.

I didn't do History for GCSE either and I found it absolutely fine. English is my first language though... Just think - how do you find the other essay subjects you did at GCSE? If English isn't your first language but you found English lit. or Religious Studies (or whatever) alright, then History will be a good choice. More on this: PPE will involve loads of essay writing so I would highly recommend that you do at least one essay heavy subject. I believe that you will be a more competitive applicant if you have something like History. My ranking for essay based subjects is History>English lit>RS. I would not count social sciences like economics or psychology as essay heavy subjects, though of course they do have essays.

Unfortunately what you say at the end is right - if you were to drop history, you would have to replace it with something else because maths, further maths and economics wouldn't be the greatest. But I really want to stress that PPE will require good essay writing skills. If you're set on PPE but lack some confidence in your English skills, it might be best to choose a subject like history so you can get lots of practice in.

Also, you don't have to do Economics! You'll cover the A level content fairly quickly at university and I've even heard that it's better to choose a different subject. Definitely look into this though, as I cannot remember where I learnt that. I took Maths, Further Maths, History and RS for my A-level and I don't believe my choice of subject harmed my chances when applying. I do think that it would be better to choose Economics over Psychology though (but that may just be my biases speaking).

So I would recommend maths, further maths, history and economics. Further maths is top tier and I would recommend having an essay heavy subject like history.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Best of luck with deciding!
SarahhhZhou
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your advice! I think I will go for Maths, further maths, economics and history. I think it is true that if I can’t overcome the essay writing skills that History needs, PPE would be hard for me as well. Thank you
SarahhhZhou
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theoooooo)
*TLDR: my best advice is to go for maths, further maths, history and economics.

Hello!

Awesome to hear you're thinking about studying PPE. I'm in my gap year and I'll be off to LSE to study it this September.

If you're confident in maths, then definitely do further maths! Universities really really love maths so extra maths is a good idea. Plus, some politics courses can be fairly maths heavy (quantitative methods) so you wouldn't be doing it just for econ. It will help you with the harder maths at university and is definitely something that admissions people are looking for.

I didn't do History for GCSE either and I found it absolutely fine. English is my first language though... Just think - how do you find the other essay subjects you did at GCSE? If English isn't your first language but you found English lit. or Religious Studies (or whatever) alright, then History will be a good choice. More on this: PPE will involve loads of essay writing so I would highly recommend that you do at least one essay heavy subject. I believe that you will be a more competitive applicant if you have something like History. My ranking for essay based subjects is History>English lit>RS. I would not count social sciences like economics or psychology as essay heavy subjects, though of course they do have essays.

Unfortunately what you say at the end is right - if you were to drop history, you would have to replace it with something else because maths, further maths and economics wouldn't be the greatest. But I really want to stress that PPE will require good essay writing skills. If you're set on PPE but lack some confidence in your English skills, it might be best to choose a subject like history so you can get lots of practice in.

Also, you don't have to do Economics! You'll cover the A level content fairly quickly at university and I've even heard that it's better to choose a different subject. Definitely look into this though, as I cannot remember where I learnt that. I took Maths, Further Maths, History and RS for my A-level and I don't believe my choice of subject harmed my chances when applying. I do think that it would be better to choose Economics over Psychology though (but that may just be my biases speaking).

So I would recommend maths, further maths, history and economics. Further maths is top tier and I would recommend having an essay heavy subject like history.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Best of luck with deciding!
Thank you so much for your advice! I think I will go for Maths, further maths, economics and history. I think it is true that if I can’t overcome the essay writing skills that History needs, PPE would be hard for me as well. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (20)
30.77%
No (45)
69.23%

Watched Threads