The Student Room Group

Engineering and social life

Hi, I’m hoping to study chemical engineering at the university of Nottingham in September however I was worried about the workload. Is there still time to go out at night/meet other people as I heard engineering lectures can go from 9 to 6. Will I miss out on the “university experience.”

For people doing engineering degrees, is it possible to balance workload/social/societies/exercise etc.

Thanks, any replies will be appreciated
All lectures for all degrees are normally timetabled 9-5. I don't think any students normally actually have lectures in that full period. You will probably find some days of the week you spend more time in lectures (and more than that, labs), but other days you might just have one or two lectures (although there may be a large gap between them).

Generally engineering courses have more contact hours than most degrees, but it's unlikely to be more than around 25 hours a week at most (and it will usually be less in each progressive year after 1st year). As indicated above, the days where you will be spending the most time on campus will be the days you have labs on.

Quick Reply

Latest