The Student Room Group

Is writing notes a waste a time for online exam

Especially if I already have all my notes on my computer, is re writing them a waste a time. What else should i be doing ?
Anyone ?
Reply 2
Original post by Ray_Shadows
Especially if I already have all my notes on my computer, is re writing them a waste a time. What else should i be doing ?

Depends on how long you have left til ur exam and how much u have to re-write. :smile:
I suggest making summarised notes. That way, you know exactly where whatever it is you are looking for is.

You see online exams being open book isn't as straight forward. Going through a dense PowerPoint looking for that one formula can be time consuming. So having your own notes is very convenient.

Also, online classes can be unproductive in a way that one would zone in and out and miss certain points. Going over those already made notes to make your own saves you the later trouble.
it depends on if it helps you learn then writing it out will help you with memory and recall.

you could be making brief cue cards, summaries and flashcards. paraphrasing and using as few words as possible may help you understand theories and concepts a lot better.

here are some general techniques you could use, answering your second query:

Visual learners - draw diagrams and mind maps; watch short videos on the subject; use colour to highlight important facts

Auditory - read notes aloud; sing and associate with a tune; use repetition technique with your revision; record yourself reading key points out loud to listen back to

Active - practical tasks to test learning; discuss and test in a group; carry out an activity as you revise; mentally test yourself while exercising to see what you can remember

Reading and writing - rewrite key points using different phrases; copy out notes again; write key points from memory and test yourself; blurting/brain dumps (set yourself a time limit then dump everything you know) then review gaps in knowledge and repeat

the best strategy is to answer as many exam questions as possible particularly under time conditions

hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending