The Student Room Group

Lawyer of English teacher

Hey,

So I’ve considered a few choices for my career paths. I cannot do anything entirely science or math based as I’m on foundation paper and the alevels require 5s on higher paper with 6 being desirable. ( however I will get 5s on maths and hopefully science )

So my options so far for alevels.

English literature - Obviously if I want to be an English teacher I will need English lit or Lang.
The grade needed is a 5 in English lit or Lang

Psychology
Grades needed are 5 in English, 5 in maths and 4s in science

Economics
Grades needed are 5 in English and a 5 in maths

Grades I’ll probably get:
Maths 5 ( foundation)
Science 5 (chemistry, Physics and biology) ( foundation )
English lit 6/7
English lang 6/7
Art 6
Imedia 5/6
Buisness 6/7
Geography 4/5

I’m not Oxford smart or smart enough to do science or math unless I do applied science or core maths for example. Unfortunately, being on foundation does restrict my options significantly.

However are these good options for both career baths I’d like to follow?
law is competitive, though a fair few unis offer it nowadays so i wouldn't say it's near-impossible to get in. the real difficulty is practicing law after you've completed the degree as so many other people will be wanting to do the same thing. so if you have high grades you might stand a better chance of getting onto a course but poor grades won't necessarily stop you completely. they're good subjects though if you wanna keep both doors open, law just asks for an essay based subject.
Reply 2
Original post by absolutelysprout
law is competitive, though a fair few unis offer it nowadays so i wouldn't say it's near-impossible to get in. the real difficulty is practicing law after you've completed the degree as so many other people will be wanting to do the same thing. so if you have high grades you might stand a better chance of getting onto a course but poor grades won't necessarily stop you completely. they're good subjects though if you wanna keep both doors open, law just asks for an essay based subject.

I have fairly Average grades (4-7) but maths science and English will all be atleast a 5 I think I get my results back in august. Law is competitive, that’s why English teacher ( as my grade in gcse will be 6/7, B/A ) would be a sort of back up career.
Original post by JessicaWw
I have fairly Average grades (4-7) but maths science and English will all be atleast a 5 I think I get my results back in august. Law is competitive, that’s why English teacher ( as my grade in gcse will be 6/7, B/A ) would be a sort of back up career.

sounds like you've got a good plan set up :yep: make sure teaching is something you want to do as well though! there's a great teaching forum on here if you wanna ask any questions about it :smile:
Reply 4
sounds like you've got a good plan set up :yep: make sure teaching is something you want to do as well though! there's a great teaching forum on here if you wanna ask any questions about it :smile:

The only restrictions I have are sciance and maths based because I’m on foundation but I should get 5s so though I cand do much with them they will look good on cv and show I have a range of skills
The only restrictions I have are sciance and maths based because I’m on foundation but I should get 5s so though I cand do much with them they will look good on cv and show I have a range of skills

yes, 5s in maths and science might prevent you from getting onto a few things but you should be ok for teaching (https://www.ucas.com/postgraduate/teacher-training/train-teach-england/teacher-training-entry-requirements-england), you'll need to research the unis and courses though as their requirements may vary
Reply 6
yes, 5s in maths and science might prevent you from getting onto a few things but you should be ok for teaching (https://www.ucas.com/postgraduate/teacher-training/train-teach-england/teacher-training-entry-requirements-england), you'll need to research the unis and courses though as their requirements may vary

Well I physically can’t get hover than a 5, considering I have 4 weeks left of year 11, a 5 seems ok for what I’m doing. A 5 is a strong pass and I know many people who might not even pass sciance or maths but also know people who will get 6/7/8 in maths no I’m sorta in that middle ground where I have lots of options but some being restricted or I might just have to really try and get a job like lawyer as I have a friend also wanting to be a lawyer yet their grades being 6/7/8s and mine being 4/5/6/7 I’m just glad if I pass because that sets up a good start. As long as I get atleast all 5s and 6s with a atleast one 7in my GCSEs I should be alright. I’ll be in that bracket where I’ll be considered for a job but might have to do a few interviews, a few unis. Probably won’t get into a top uni but as far as things go for the moment I’ll be ok.

Though do you think I could have picked better alevels . ( English lit, Psychology, economics with maybe the addition of core maths ) if you think there’s any better alevel to take please say, English is staying tho
Well I physically can’t get hover than a 5, considering I have 4 weeks left of year 11, a 5 seems ok for what I’m doing. A 5 is a strong pass and I know many people who might not even pass sciance or maths but also know people who will get 6/7/8 in maths no I’m sorta in that middle ground where I have lots of options but some being restricted or I might just have to really try and get a job like lawyer as I have a friend also wanting to be a lawyer yet their grades being 6/7/8s and mine being 4/5/6/7 I’m just glad if I pass because that sets up a good start. As long as I get atleast all 5s and 6s with a atleast one 7in my GCSEs I should be alright. I’ll be in that bracket where I’ll be considered for a job but might have to do a few interviews, a few unis. Probably won’t get into a top uni but as far as things go for the moment I’ll be ok.

Though do you think I could have picked better alevels . ( English lit, Psychology, economics with maybe the addition of core maths ) if you think there’s any better alevel to take please say, English is staying tho

as long as they're subjects you enjoy and are interested in, that's all that matters. they're good subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest