The Student Room Group

Do i contact the dentist or orthodontist

I wann get my teeth straight but idk how it works,do i contact my gp and pay £20 for a checkup and they refer me or something or do i go to the orthodontist.i pretty much wanna get braces but wanna know if i can pay monthly for it or if theres a cheaper way to do it
Original post by Anonymous
I wann get my teeth straight but idk how it works,do i contact my gp and pay £20 for a checkup and they refer me or something or do i go to the orthodontist.i pretty much wanna get braces but wanna know if i can pay monthly for it or if theres a cheaper way to do it

How old are you?
If you’re under 18, I’d suggest going to the dentist and they’ll check and then if they think you need braces, they’ll refer you to the nhs and you’ll get free treatment.
I’ve heard in some cases if you’re over 18 and you’re teeth are really bad you may be able to get free treatment from nhs. not exactly sure on that one though.
So anyways if you’re over 18, Google orthodontists near me and just check which ones are good ones & then book a consultation where they’ll check your teeth and all and tell you much it’ll cost. The prices vary a lot depending on the seriousness of your teeth, how long you’ll be having them for & what kind of treatment, etc. like some people get Invisalign, some get fixed metal braces, so you also have a lot of options available on what kind you want.
In terms of payment, I can’t speak for everyone, but where I’m planning to get my braces from, I can either pay the full amount or apply for finance where I’ll pay monthly for 12 months & it’s interest free
Reply 2
How old are you?
If you’re under 18, I’d suggest going to the dentist and they’ll check and then if they think you need braces, they’ll refer you to the nhs and you’ll get free treatment.
I’ve heard in some cases if you’re over 18 and you’re teeth are really bad you may be able to get free treatment from nhs. not exactly sure on that one though.
So anyways if you’re over 18, Google orthodontists near me and just check which ones are good ones & then book a consultation where they’ll check your teeth and all and tell you much it’ll cost. The prices vary a lot depending on the seriousness of your teeth, how long you’ll be having them for & what kind of treatment, etc. like some people get Invisalign, some get fixed metal braces, so you also have a lot of options available on what kind you want.
In terms of payment, I can’t speak for everyone, but where I’m planning to get my braces from, I can either pay the full amount or apply for finance where I’ll pay monthly for 12 months & it’s interest free

Thanks for the reponse,im 18 so i guess ill make a consultation with a orthodontist near me and see what they say
Thanks for the reponse,im 18 so i guess ill make a consultation with a orthodontist near me and see what they say

I hope it goes well :smile:
I’m also 18 and looking to get braces soon

Quick Reply

Latest