chemistry help

Watch this thread
ru6y
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Gold reacts with the elements in group 7 of the periodic table. 0.175g of gold reacts with chlorine . The equation for the reaction is 2Au+3Cl2——> 2AuCl2.
Calculate the mass of chlorine needed to react with 0.175g of gold .
Give your answer in Mg
Relative atomic mass:
Cl=35.5
Au=197
sweetescobar
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
47.3 Mg
ru6y
Rep:
how did you get that?
UrFellowMedic
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ru6y)
how did you get that?
Moles = mass/mr
Find moles of gold using that formula.
You know the ratio is 2:3 so utilise that ratio
Find the moles of chlorine with that ratio
Then multiply by mr, but remember it’s Cl2, not Cl
UrFellowMedic
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sweetescobar)
47.3 Mg
Don’t you have to include the fact that chlorine is diatomic, therefore multiply by 71 and not 35.5?
sweetescobar
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Oh shoot ya I forgot about that :colonhash:
sweetescobar
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UrFellowMedic)
Moles = mass/mr
Exactly.
Bmal
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Moles = mass/mr
Correct!
sweetescobar
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The fact that I didn't clock that Cl2 has ruined my day.
UrFellowMedic
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sweetescobar)
The fact that I didn't clock that Cl2 has ruined my day.
It’s all good bro 😂 I remember losing 3 marks on an 8 marker cos I read Na2CO3 as NaCO3, so annoyinggg.
ru6y
Rep:
thank yall so much
sddssss
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Moles = mass/mr
wait what im so confused
aylamayd
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
so would the answer be 94.61mg?
did you convert the mass of gold into mg at the start by a factor of x1000 to get it into mg?
Last edited by aylamayd; 1 year ago
sddssss
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aylamayd)
so would the answer be 94.61mg?
did you convert the mass of gold into mg at the start by a factor of x1000 to get it into mg?
yh u do do that im pretty sure, thats what i did anyways
scimus63
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
look here it shows you how to do these calculations

https://www.science-revision.co.uk/m...equations.html
Bdduhd
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Can someone give full working out
UrFellowMedic
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bdduhd)
Can someone give full working out
I have a step by step foolproof method, try applying it. If you are really really stuck then I can send full working out. But do try it to help you learn.
Bdduhd
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I have a step by step foolproof method, try applying it. If you are really really stuck then I can send full working out. But do try it to help you learn.
Yes please send it
Bdduhd
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yes please send full I can then do more examples using the working out to help me
UrFellowMedic
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bdduhd)
Yes please send full I can then do more examples using the working out to help me
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  201.8 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (63)
27.51%
As I expected (71)
31%
Harder (87)
37.99%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.49%

Watched Threads