The Student Room Group

Anyone else have famliy who don't support mental illness?

I do. My family don't agree that's depression or anxiety is a real thing and think people who just play it on themselves
Not really.

I'm sure it's a generational thing - back in the day they didn't label it and those who did have diagnosed mental health issues were heavily stigmatized or disregarded from society, which meant a lot went under the radar.

My family recognizes it, but I think they were a little against labeling it when I had a period of serious anxiety. I wanted to try therapy or medication, but 'self help' seemed to be the option I had to take.

That being said, I'm sure if it progressed even further they would've considered it. But no, they recognize and respect someone if they have been diagnosed with depression or anxiety, to a pretty good extent.
Yes. My parents don't believe in mental illness that isn't psychosis, despite being health professionals.
My parents didn't at first, it was very much a case of 'you're just being lazy' or 'stop using it as an excuse'. It wasn't until I was prescribed anti-depressents and my sister put on anti-anxiety medication that they began to realise just how serious and palpable the symptoms of more common mental health problems can be. I think a lot of people, particularly of that generation, can be very ignorant regarding mental health and often react with shame or fear when someone close is experiencing mental illness. It takes a lot of understanding for them to come to terms with it all as it just wasn't really discussed when they were younger.
Reply 4
At least, you all haven't been born into a family of psychopaths and paranoids into a third world country such as Romania. Their super-inferior behaviour (gypsy-like or peasant-like) towards me since early childhood and their monsterous selfishness gave me depression and neuroticism. I have always been emotionally castrated by those extremely selfish idiots I can barely call parents to be "the perfect child" (have perfect grades, not allowed to socialize with other children, not do anything typical of a normal child that could possibly disturb their shallow "peaceful atmosphere" etc.). I've had approximately 15 suicide attempts, 3 of which had been almost fatal because of these monsters, other people call "parents". They sent me to the worst possible schools with all lepers and extremely inferior "people" that insulted and humiliated me for absolutely no reason and have never done anything for my defence, but have always demanded perfect grades. So, please please, don't complain about your families because others much worse (such as mine) exist in this world. After simply exploiting me for 24 years (ever since I have self-consciousness since age 3), now they are always threatening me to "throw me away in the streets", "abandon me into an asylum for disabled people" and other crap like this. They have always forced me to do hard household chores and whipped me like an animal just to feed their own ego and now after making me severely ill, they behave worse than ever and are always threatening to dispose me off. I am astonished how other parents treat their truly handicapped and good-for-nothing children so well and mine (I now call them surrogates and not parents) sometimes treat me worse than an inmate in prison. Fortunately, I can manage these severe anxiety symptoms with benzodiazepines and other sedatives. I am currently planning to start my own family and have a job in my field (chemistry or biochemistry) in a civilized country such as Singapore, because I can no longer tolerate this pigstall and mental-ilness asylum called Romania. I am writing all of these for you all to see that there are people in this world much worse off than you. Hope this helps somehow!
Original post by Gab9594
At least, you all haven't been born into a family of psychopaths and paranoids into a third world country such as Romania.

Actually, I was :rolleyes:
Original post by Gab9594
At least, you all haven't been born into a family of psychopaths and paranoids into a third world country such as Romania. Their super-inferior behaviour (gypsy-like or peasant-like) towards me since early childhood and their monsterous selfishness gave me depression and neuroticism. I have always been emotionally castrated by those extremely selfish idiots I can barely call parents to be "the perfect child" (have perfect grades, not allowed to socialize with other children, not do anything typical of a normal child that could possibly disturb their shallow "peaceful atmosphere" etc.). I've had approximately 15 suicide attempts, 3 of which had been almost fatal because of these monsters, other people call "parents". They sent me to the worst possible schools with all lepers and extremely inferior "people" that insulted and humiliated me for absolutely no reason and have never done anything for my defence, but have always demanded perfect grades. So, please please, don't complain about your families because others much worse (such as mine) exist in this world. After simply exploiting me for 24 years (ever since I have self-consciousness since age 3), now they are always threatening me to "throw me away in the streets", "abandon me into an asylum for disabled people" and other crap like this. They have always forced me to do hard household chores and whipped me like an animal just to feed their own ego and now after making me severely ill, they behave worse than ever and are always threatening to dispose me off. I am astonished how other parents treat their truly handicapped and good-for-nothing children so well and mine (I now call them surrogates and not parents) sometimes treat me worse than an inmate in prison. Fortunately, I can manage these severe anxiety symptoms with benzodiazepines and other sedatives. I am currently planning to start my own family and have a job in my field (chemistry or biochemistry) in a civilized country such as Singapore, because I can no longer tolerate this pigstall and mental-ilness asylum called Romania. I am writing all of these for you all to see that there are people in this world much worse off than you. Hope this helps somehow!

And no offence, but some of the things you say in your post are pretty disrespectful towards other people and don't really show you up in a good light. It sounds like you have had a pretty rough time growing up and I sympathise hugely, but that does not give you are right to call other people inferior and good-for-nothing. I'm sorry you've had such a rough time and hope you hope things improve for you in the future.
I'm like that myself. There's nothing wrong being against depression etc. I don't cause any issues to it and they keep their opinions to themselves apart from like now where I'm asked on it. As long as you keep it to yourself and don't harm anyone about it. People have the right to have their own opinion.
My family are the same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending