experience of being a minority ethnic at the University of Manchester

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys,

Would just like to know your experience if you are an ethnic at Manchester. I'm enrolling next year hopefully and this is something I feel I need to think about. I'd particularly like tk know your experience as an ethnic living in fallowfield halls, esp if you're a British Asian /Muslim!! Thank you
22lfd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi guys,

Would just like to know your experience if you are an ethnic at Manchester. I'm enrolling next year hopefully and this is something I feel I need to think about. I'd particularly like tk know your experience as an ethnic living in fallowfield halls, esp if you're a British Asian /Muslim!! Thank you
holy moly I'm in the same boat woah, honestly that I didn't firm Manny is because I've heard some horror stories about roommates and the area however saying that I know it has a great community of people and its about finding your own crowd and ignoring others
John Bull
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Half of these courses are made up of Asians (Chinese+Malaysian). You won't stand out. Should be plenty of Indian, Pakistanis also. You are worrying about nothing
brambleboo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The only racism I've faced is from students, even ones with BLM sticky notes pasted on their kitchen windows. My flatmates are amazing, although they do occasionally drop a rather borderline racist comment (not malicious, just ignorant). Most people are really nice, but I've had some people mock my accent and stuff - I'm South Asian, not British Asian so obviously have an accent, might be different for you.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by 22lfd)
holy moly I'm in the same boat woah, honestly that I didn't firm Manny is because I've heard some horror stories about roommates and the area however saying that I know it has a great community of people and its about finding your own crowd and ignoring others
Sorry about the late reply! I totally agree with you you'll have to find your own crowd and just ignore the few people who are bad vibez, tell me the horror stories tho!!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by John Bull)
Half of these courses are made up of Asians (Chinese+Malaysian). You won't stand out. Should be plenty of Indian, Pakistanis also. You are worrying about nothing
I'm not 'worrying about nothing', you clearly have no idea what I'm asking
Anonymous #1
(Original post by brambleboo)
The only racism I've faced is from students, even ones with BLM sticky notes pasted on their kitchen windows. My flatmates are amazing, although they do occasionally drop a rather borderline racist comment (not malicious, just ignorant). Most people are really nice, but I've had some people mock my accent and stuff - I'm South Asian, not British Asian so obviously have an accent, might be different for you.
Aww man sorry that you've been treated that way by some, its great to know your overall experience with people has been good
John Bull
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm not 'worrying about nothing', you clearly have no idea what I'm asking
Scared of your own shadow. Good luck, kid
aespa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm South Asian, didn't have any bad experiences on campus at least, even though my course was filled with white people (didn't make any friends at all though, lol). Some school kids laughed at me when I was in the outskirts of Manchester (was wearing ethnic clothes) but that's about it. No one batted an eye while I was on campus, and there were a ton of racial minorities living at my accommodation too. There's a lot of diversity for sure but my experience does not speak for everyone, of course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads