waterbacon
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice and cant seem to find anything previously posted that's relevant.

As it stands I hold a HE qualification which I studied full time and had a full package of SFE funding for, I know that this makes me ineligible for full time funding, except for a small number of exception courses.

I started a part-time exception course with the OU a couple of years ago, for which I received a tuition fee loan. I didn't complete this as I didn't enjoy the experience, and subsequently left without any qualification.

2021 has rolled around and I am now looking at studying another part-time programme - BSc Biomedicine - at Birkbeck. I understand that this is a part-time exception course which would ordinarily attract SFE funding.

Given that I have previously had a year of part-time exception course funding, would I have any entitlement for the latter course?
waterbacon
Rep:
?
SFE Isaac
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by waterbacon)
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice and cant seem to find anything previously posted that's relevant.

As it stands I hold a HE qualification which I studied full time and had a full package of SFE funding for, I know that this makes me ineligible for full time funding, except for a small number of exception courses.

I started a part-time exception course with the OU a couple of years ago, for which I received a tuition fee loan. I didn't complete this as I didn't enjoy the experience, and subsequently left without any qualification.

2021 has rolled around and I am now looking at studying another part-time programme - BSc Biomedicine - at Birkbeck. I understand that this is a part-time exception course which would ordinarily attract SFE funding.

Given that I have previously had a year of part-time exception course funding, would I have any entitlement for the latter course?
Hi, your previous study will not affect your eligibility for funding for your new part time exception course.
Thanks, Isaac
waterbacon
Rep:
?
SFE Isaac Thanks for confirming this, that's great news!

I know that the calculation for full time funding is 3+1 gift year, but would you be able to tell me how the calculation works for part time exception courses? I assume I am eligible because I didn't complete a qualification with the OU?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
SFE Isaac Thanks for confirming this, that's great news!

I know that the calculation for full time funding is 3+1 gift year, but would you be able to tell me how the calculation works for part time exception courses? I assume I am eligible because I didn't complete a qualification with the OU?
Full time is length of your course(not necessarily 3) + 1 additional year - previous study.

There isn't a calculation for part time.
Part time students can receive up to 16 years of funding depending on the FTE (full time equivalent) of the course and depending on if they have had any previous qualifications.

Exception courses don't take previous study into account.

Thanks, Isaac
waterbacon
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Full time is length of your course(not necessarily 3) + 1 additional year - previous study.

There isn't a calculation for part time.
Part time students can receive up to 16 years of funding depending on the FTE (full time equivalent) of the course and depending on if they have had any previous qualifications.

Exception courses don't take previous study into account.

Thanks, Isaac
Hello Isaac,

Just a couple more if you don't mind, then I'll quit bothering you!

Could you clarify what is meant by the full time equivalent, and how this is calculated?

Based on the above does this theoretically mean that someone could study 16 years worth of fully funded part time exception courses!? I say theoretically given financing policies change every other year or so.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello Isaac,

Just a couple more if you don't mind, then I'll quit bothering you!

Could you clarify what is meant by the full time equivalent, and how this is calculated?

Based on the above does this theoretically mean that someone could study 16 years worth of fully funded part time exception courses!? I say theoretically given financing policies change every other year or so.
Please continue asking as many questions as you feel like, I'm here to help

Students who started their course after September 2012 can have up to a maximum of 16 years part time support if they:

• Complete the course within 4 times the length of the full time equivalent (FTE); and
• Study at an intensity of at least 25% in each academic year and for the overall course. If a student indicated they will take more than 4 times the FTE to complete their course, their application will be made ineligible.

So for example if a course is usually 3 years long, but you study the part time version you must complete the course within 4 times the length of the FTE which in this case is 3 years, therefore the student would receive up to 12 years of part time funding. 3x4.

Previous study does not get taken into account for exception courses.

You could complete an exception course, gain the qualification and then do another if you wanted.
Thanks, Isaac
Last edited by SFE Isaac; 1 week ago
waterbacon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Please continue asking as many questions as you feel like, I'm here to help

Students who started their course after September 2012 can have up to a maximum of 16 years part time support if they:

• Complete the course within 4 times the length of the full time equivalent (FTE); and
• Study at an intensity of at least 25% in each academic year and for the overall course. If a student indicated they will take more than 4 times the FTE to complete their course, their application will be made ineligible.

So for example if a course is usually 3 years long, but you study the part time version you must complete the course within 4 times the length of the FTE which in this case is 3 years, therefore the student would receive up to 12 years of part time funding. 3x4.

Previous study does not get taken into account for exception courses.

You could complete an exception course, gain the qualification and then do another if you wanted.
Thanks, Isaac
Thanks for confirming that Isaac, definitely food for thought.

I do have one more question (last one, promise) regarding part-time study. A number of years ago when I had full time funding (believe I've used it up given the calculation) I ended up leaving university with a DipHE.

If I wanted to go back and study a non-exception course BA or BSc part time, would I be funded for tuition and maintenance? In light of the aforementioned achieved as an exit award, full-time.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Thanks for confirming that Isaac, definitely food for thought.

I do have one more question (last one, promise) regarding part-time study. A number of years ago when I had full time funding (believe I've used it up given the calculation) I ended up leaving university with a DipHE.

If I wanted to go back and study a non-exception course BA or BSc part time, would I be funded for tuition and maintenance? In light of the aforementioned achieved as an exit award, full-time.
If the highest qualification you earned was DipHE and your previous study was all full time, then you will be able to receive funding for a level 6 qualification part time(non STEM/non exception course).
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.53%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
65.79%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.47%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (6)
7.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.32%

Watched Threads