Advice - should I go NCS?

Watch
username5710157
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I booked a space for the 3 week NCS program but I'm considering dropping out. There isn't much information about what happens on the second and third week and there are tons of bad reviews online which I wish I read before. If anyone has been, please let me know how you found it. Thanks
mgrn3
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by User18041982)
Hi, I booked a space for the 3 week NCS program but I'm considering dropping out. There isn't much information about what happens on the second and third week and there are tons of bad reviews online which I wish I read before. If anyone has been, please let me know how you found it. Thanks
hi! i went on ncs (pre covid) and on our second week we stayed in uni accommodation and did activities there, third week we planned our fundraising which we carried out on fourth week! first week was deffo the most fun, we had a good group of friends we went with and enjoyed it x
username5409458
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When I did NCS back in 2018 I really enjoyed it! Made some friends who I still catch up with every now and then and felt like I’d spent my summer well. Go for your own enjoyment, and treat it as a little holiday, it was fun and allows you to meet others the same age as you!
fateoften
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I personally had a super bad experience with NCS. You were forced into activities no matter what, had no 'relaxing' time on an evening (due to being forced into more mostly boring activities that were supposed to increase self-confidence but really just had a huge impact on increasing social anxiety) and personally I had an absolutely horrible group leader and not very nice people in my group. It was an experience where you would get punished for things such as hugging a significant other due to making people 'uncomfortable', but 16 year olds were allowed to smoke and vape however much they wanted (even though that sort of thing makes people uncomfortable and is also against the law). They were also extremely lax about actual rule-breakers, for example if one person in your team was late for breakfast then everyone would have to wait, whereas the actual late person just got off completely free as they just got breakfast when they arrived.

Personally, I wouldn't do it again and i found it to be a waste of four weeks but obviously this is entirely a personal experience and if you know you're going with friends then maybe you'll have a better time than me!
username5409458
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fateoften)
Hi,

I personally had a super bad experience with NCS. You were forced into activities no matter what, had no 'relaxing' time on an evening (due to being forced into more mostly boring activities that were supposed to increase self-confidence but really just had a huge impact on increasing social anxiety) and personally I had an absolutely horrible group leader and not very nice people in my group. It was an experience where you would get punished for things such as hugging a significant other due to making people 'uncomfortable', but 16 year olds were allowed to smoke and vape however much they wanted (even though that sort of thing makes people uncomfortable and is also against the law). They were also extremely lax about actual rule-breakers, for example if one person in your team was late for breakfast then everyone would have to wait, whereas the actual late person just got off completely free as they just got breakfast when they arrived.

Personally, I wouldn't do it again and i found it to be a waste of four weeks but obviously this is entirely a personal experience and if you know you're going with friends then maybe you'll have a better time than me!
I can slightly second this- I say the people I met made me keep going and enjoy it. 10pm bedtime and they’d come round to tell you off if you weren’t in your bed...but still as long as you meet people and go in with a positive attitude you may be ok.
username5710157
Rep:
?
(Original post by mgrn3)
hi! i went on ncs (pre covid) and on our second week we stayed in uni accommodation and did activities there, third week we planned our fundraising which we carried out on fourth week! first week was deffo the most fun, we had a good group of friends we went with and enjoyed it x
Thanks for the reply. They have slightly changed it cuz of covid and it's three weeks now. The residential in the first week seems fine but they have so little information about the second and third week. Where did you stay for the third week?
username5710157
Rep:
?
(Original post by fateoften)
Hi,

Only a handful of people from my school are going. The thing that worries me is the length. If it was a week then that seems fine but I really don't want to waste three weeks I could've spent doing something else more enjoyable
fateoften
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Only a handful of people from my school are going. The thing that worries me is the length. If it was a week then that seems fine but I really don't want to waste three weeks I could've spent doing something else more enjoyable
Most of my friends dropped out, so there was me, two friends and then my boyfriend who went. We were all put in a team together (thank god) but they were very hesitant to do that, and separated everyone away from more than one or two person that they knew. Honestly though, you can do the first week and then drop out if you're not enjoying yourself, I imagine they'll give a run down of the second and third weeks while you're on the first so you can just leave after then. Although this does mean you won't get the certificate of completion.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My younger son was an NCS leader (organiser) and he loved it. The participants loved it too.

So yes, would recommend.
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. I did NCS two years ago and personally enjoyed it. I made good friends who I still sometimes keep in touch with and found it was a really good way to force myself to interact with people I didn't know to help me step out of my comfort zone.
In the second week we stayed in uni accommodation and did a range of activities aimed at team work. I remember learning how to cook during the evenings, having relatively deep discussions (although idk if that was just my group who ended up getting quite close so talked about everything together), workshops with businesses and then preparing presentations, writing and presenting speeches, a talent-show etc.
Then the third week we stayed at our own houses and went to a base school as our meeting grounds everyday. We got given a charity, prepared a presentation aimed at raising awareness for it, planed an carried out a fundraising activity for our charity and also spent time with the people that the charity helped. My group did our presentation at a bank and to Anne Milton who came round to visit. We helped the people at our charity prepare a big lunch and also did a mini Macbeth play for them (I ended up having to do a lot of work for that since I was the thatre kid lol) and we went busking while dressed up in costumes to raise money and ahnd out leaflets (which was a lot more successful than we had expected).
Overall, I enjoyed it and thought it was a rewarding experience, but I know some people didn't like it that much. For example, during the last few days, two girls in my group started leaving early and arriving late and I think a couple of people dropped out. However, even though it wasn't the most glamorous way of spending the summer, I enjoyed hanging out with my friends and really enjoyed volunteering and helping the charity so I thought it was fun.
username5710157
Rep:
?
Damn I'm so confused. From what I've read, you either love or hate it. NCS keep calling me to fill in the rest of the forms but i don't want to commit to it yet. I'll probably wait a few days then see
username5409458
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Damn I'm so confused. From what I've read, you either love or hate it. NCS keep calling me to fill in the rest of the forms but i don't want to commit to it yet. I'll probably wait a few days then see
I guess it's a stab in the dark! Maybe just go for it and if you don't like it, you can leave- the only actual downside is that you don't get a certificate, and quite frankly I couldn't tell you I've ever used the certificate. NCS also isn't on my CV as it's not necessarily something which people recommend putting on there.

They can't hold you there hostage after all! haha
Last edited by username5409458; 1 month ago
mgrn3
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the reply. They have slightly changed it cuz of covid and it's three weeks now. The residential in the first week seems fine but they have so little information about the second and third week. Where did you stay for the third week?
we didn't stay away anywhere - they were based at a centre in our local city and we commuted from home x
anon1830483
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes good to go cv if you do a part time job or just in general
anon1830486
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yh go o ihh
username5710157
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by anon1830486)
yh go o ihh
Nah, I ended up cancelling my place
anon1830486
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
how do i talk to people / make friends in NCS help im scared?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads