idk what to put
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi Guys, I am international student from Hong Kong. I have offers for Economics from King's College London, University of Edinburgh, and University of Warwick. Could you please give advice on which one I should firm? I am currently leaning towards KCL because I loveeee london and I also find it interesting how their course is split between their business school and department of political economy. But could you guys please let me know what would be the best choice for my future prospects ($$$ and employability), especially in terms of Investment Banking and Consultancy. Out of the 3, I'd probably least like Warwick because it's in the middle of nowhere, but again, I might be misinformed. My offers for all 3 are similar so I'd have to choose one of them to firm.
anonuser99
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So in terms of your employability criteria it's basically Warwick > KCL/Edinburgh. So the opposite to your preferences. Warwick is a target for IB, the other two are semi targets.

Personally I'd argue KCL is the weakest school especially for consulting. So you have to decide whether your love for the uni is enough to motivate you to do the extra grind needed to make up the difference.

For a little context, here is some old BCG screening criteria:
https://ibb.co/album/ChVCJg

Theres also the stickied threads on this forum.
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
warwick is the obvious choice for graduate prospects and the quality of the econ department

it is also literally right next to a big (albeit ****) city, it's ~2.5h away from london by train and close to birmingham as well - its really not in the middle of nowhere, it's just on the edge
RSG00
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HoldThisL)
warwick is the obvious choice for graduate prospects and the quality of the econ department

it is also literally right next to a big (albeit ****) city, it's ~2.5h away from london by train and close to birmingham as well - its really not in the middle of nowhere, it's just on the edge
Defo Warwick is your best choice and its acc and hr and a half to London so it's not too bad
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RSG00)
Defo Warwick is your best choice and its acc and hr and a half to London so it's not too bad
well i've never made it that quickly, but its definitely not bad i agree
RSG00
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HoldThisL)
well i've never made it that quickly, but its definitely not bad i agree
By train? It's less than 1 hr 30 i think close to an hr.
Inert1a
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonuser99)
So in terms of your employability criteria it's basically Warwick > KCL/Edinburgh. So the opposite to your preferences. Warwick is a target for IB, the other two are semi targets.

Personally I'd argue KCL is the weakest school especially for consulting. So you have to decide whether your love for the uni is enough to motivate you to do the extra grind needed to make up the difference.

The BCG screening is really interesting, never seen such specific details before. Any idea by what they’re referring to when they say 2:1 and masters from priority university. Is that just the Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE in the masters group or all other tier 1s too?
anonuser99
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Inert1a)
The BCG screening is really interesting, never seen such specific details before. Any idea by what they’re referring to when they say 2:1 and masters from priority university. Is that just the Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE in the masters group or all other tier 1s too?
Did you swipe on the image? There are like 4-5 slides and one lists the different uni categories.
expatboi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Warwick is the best. Edinburgh and King's are a toss-up - the former might be more prestigious but they both have similar placement.
John Bull
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonuser99)

It's a bit of a curious list. I didn't realise they would have UCD and TCD so high on there. Cork? Like University College Cork? How the **** did they end up on the list. 😂
Last edited by John Bull; 1 month ago
BenRyan99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by John Bull)
It's a bit of a curious list. I didn't realise they would have UCD and TCD so high on there. Cork? Like University College Cork? How the **** did they end up on the list. 😂
In the case of the Irish unis I suspect there's probably a few effects going on. Firstly, we're probably mostly from the UK so are perhaps a tad ignorant about the quality of institutions there as they can just work in Dublin as it's a big financial hub rather than London so maybe we're less aware.

Secondly, Trinity and UCD are actually pretty good from what I know. They say trinity is the Oxbridge of Ireland which I think is a bit silly and definitely over the top personally but it definitely is good, it's probably of at least the same quality as places like Bristol and Durham but just less internationally known. UCD is good for economics and business subjects, again probably similar or perhaps a tiny bit below the standard UK semi-targets in terms of quality.

Thirdly, I reckon Ireland's unis place disproportionately well due to EU and US connections and Dublin being a financial hub. So whilst I was a little surprised to see TCD in tier 1, I expected to see TCD and UCD in the tier 2 as I assume BCG has a Dublin office? Cork in tier 3, I'm afraid I don't know enough about it beyond it being the third best ROI uni, I guess maybe it gets boosted up the tiers a bit because of the lack of unis there so if there is indeed a Dublin office then this might help explain what's going on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
38.17%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.68%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.45%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (45)
24.19%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.06%

Watched Threads