Anxiety at university - what do i DO

Watch
lucaswong
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As you probably gathered, I have anxiety. Big time.
Uni is very scary to me, but I do want to go to better my skills and learn more. Hopefully do some maturing too.
I have no idea how my anxiety will be. I struggle with strangers, I worry I won't be able to talk to anyone or go to any events -- just the thought of sharing a kitchen with other people makes me absolutely terrified.

Has anyone else dealt with this? How did you get on with anxiety at uni? Do you have any tips for someone like me?

Bricking it, man.
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are eligible for DSA bc of anxiety all you need is an evidence note from your doctor or other medical professional (eg a therapist)

Sometimes the university will also cover the difference between standard accommodation and en-suite or studio if that’s something your disability required. (Now would be a great time to note that everything to do with mental health is lumped together with disability services, which I’m personally not too keen on bc I’m not disabled but there’s nothing you can do about that, everything is just called disability something or other)
Here’s some examples of what I got from them for my anxiety (everyone is different so there’s no guarantee you’ll get the same stuff tho)
-40hrs with a mentor per year
-£100 paper and ink allowance per year (to avoid library)
- dictation software do I can talk to type my essays etc
-a toolbar with things such as highlights, dictionary, text to speech etc
- lecture recording software microphone

And they’re recommending other support to disability services at my uni (eg stop the clock rest breaks, exemption from presenting to a group, early induction/private tour)
Last edited by WantBeAnonymous; 1 month ago
lucaswong
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by WantBeAnonymous)
You are eligible for DSA bc of anxiety all you need is an evidence note from your doctor or other medical professional (eg a therapist)

Sometimes the university will also cover the difference between standard accommodation and en-suite or studio if that’s something your disability required. (Now would be a great time to note that everything to do with mental health is lumped together with disability services, which I’m personally not too keen on bc I’m not disabled but there’s nothing you can do about that, everything is just called disability something or other)
Here’s some examples of what I got from them for my anxiety (everyone is different so there’s no guarantee you’ll get the same stuff tho)
-40hrs with a mentor per year
-£100 paper and ink allowance per year (to avoid library)
- dictation software do I can talk to type my essays etc
-a toolbar with things such as highlights, dictionary, text to speech etc
- lecture recording software microphone

And they’re recommending other support to disability services at my uni (eg stop the clock rest breaks, exemption from presenting to a group, early induction/private tour)
Thanks so much for the info! I had no idea unis could offer assistance like that, I will definitely see what they can provide where I'm applying - especially with accomodation.

That's a really massive help, thanks again.
Last edited by lucaswong; 1 month ago
username1340420
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I didn't want to share a place with anyone either so I didn't and I was happy. I would just go up to random people on my course and ask them what there name was and I would give them my name. May feel awkward, but it goes a long way and is rewarding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (93)
28.27%
No (236)
71.73%

Watched Threads