The Student Room Group

Changing Course in 1st year

I've finished my first year of medicine and I have hated it.

I am now considering applying for another degree whilst continuing medicine, just in case the application doesn't work out how I want it to. My question is, is it possible to apply for another course whilst attending uni, and if it is how I would submit my application.

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous434
I've finished my first year of medicine and I have hated it.
I am now considering applying for another degree whilst continuing medicine, just in case the application doesn't work out how I want it to. My question is, is it possible to apply for another course whilst attending uni, and if it is how I would submit my application.

Search for courses that are still open - UCAS Search https://digital.ucas.com/search
Enter a subject search word and on the next page use the filters (symbol up left) to narrow your search - make sure you also select 'courses still open' right at the bottom of the filter list.

This will show you what is still open - once you have 5 realistic choices, apply quickly.
You will need a new PS, and a reference - either your last school (phone them first and tell them what you are doing....) or a sympathetic tutor at your current Uni. Btw, be honest about why why are restarting with a new subject - its okay to change your mind - and make sure you include the 1 year of Med in your application.

What sort of subject do you want to go for?
Original post by McGinger
Search for courses that are still open - UCAS Search https://digital.ucas.com/search
Enter a subject search word and on the next page use the filters (symbol up left) to narrow your search - make sure you also select 'courses still open' right at the bottom of the filter list.

This will show you what is still open - once you have 5 realistic choices, apply quickly.
You will need a new PS, and a reference - either your last school (phone them first and tell them what you are doing....) or a sympathetic tutor at your current Uni. Btw, be honest about why why are restarting with a new subject - its okay to change your mind - and make sure you include the 1 year of Med in your application.

What sort of subject do you want to go for?

tysm, I am looking for a computer science course, however, if I don't find a course at a university I am happy with, I will continue with medicine into my 2nd year and then if I get an offer I won't continue into 3rd year. I want to be sure that I am making the right decision because it is a risky path to drop out of med skl.
Original post by Anonymous434
I am looking for a computer science course

There appear to be some good courses still open - Bath, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Southampton etc.
If you’re a Uk student and you continue to 2nd year of medicine and then leave and restart on first year of a CS course then you won’t receive a tuition fee loan for the first year of the CS degree.
You only get one extra year of funding for false starts - if you start the second year then that uses up a year of funding on the new course (even if you don’t complete the second year).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending