The Student Room Group

Student Finance

Hi,

I am living in the UK since 2010 with a prolonged settlement status issue that resolved last year only (pre-settlement visa). My question is would I be considered as a home or an international student?

Now, with deadline coming closer and having no clarity about my eligibility, I am pretty stressed out, not to forget the irregularities and time wastage caused by the ever lasting case with home office.

I have received offers from all 4 universities I applied to, but am yet to reply to them because I was not sure if I can get help from student finance or not. I tried calling multiple times, but they keep me waiting.

Is there any help or guidance available?
Also, I do not have a national insurance number (I was told that an employer’s letter is needed to make one. I do not have a job atm because of the obvious reasons and those mentioned above).

Thank you!
Reply 1
If you don’t mind me asking what type of settlement visa do you have? Is it an ILR if yes then you are home Student. If you have an ILR and have been living in the U.K. for the past 3 years with gaps no longer than 90 days then you are considered a home student. In regards to NI, you don’t need a job letter. When I applied I just applied, I didn’t have a job and I was here on spouse visa, unless things have changed. I would suggest calling your university and asking them as they would be able to give a more accurate answer. x
Reply 2
Phone student finance!! Yes you do have to hold but getting answers and not opinions is important!
Reply 3
Original post by Peppet
If you don’t mind me asking what type of settlement visa do you have? Is it an ILR if yes then you are home Student. If you have an ILR and have been living in the U.K. for the past 3 years with gaps no longer than 90 days then you are considered a home student. In regards to NI, you don’t need a job letter. When I applied I just applied, I didn’t have a job and I was here on spouse visa, unless things have changed. I would suggest calling your university and asking them as they would be able to give a more accurate answer. x

Hi,

Thank you for replying back and apologies for seeing it so late.

I have limited leave to remain which means I’ve been given a visa for 3 years (with recourse to public funds) then it’ll be renewed for 5 years, and then they’ll given me ILR. It’s so frustrating that they didn’t count the last 10 years of my stay here in the UK and have given me a visa based on human rights.

Nevertheless, I contact my top choice Surrey and they’re considering me an overseas student, I don’t know how they’ve calculated it to be the case, whereas hertfordshire says I am a home student.

I am so stressed because the deadline is just a week ago and the uncertainty again is causing me worry to such an extent that I do not even feel like going to university anymore. I was hoping to finally be at ease, but NO that can never be the case.
Isnt home/overseas based on citizenship rather than actual physical location?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending